family teasing your healthy and active lifestyle (rant)

Options
I really hate it when my sister and my cousin makes fun of my healthy and active lifestyle!!! it's really annoying and disrespectful! :mad:

things they do:

-when we're out at the mall and they're like "you wanna eat somewhere?" and I'm like no thanks cause I'd rather buy fresh fruits from the supermarket or I probably brought a packed meal for me and they're like "well.... okay then! we'll eat and enjoy the really delicious food of *restaurant/fastfood name* hehe!"

- when my sister's like "I'm gonna treat Jam (our cousin) to some fast food woooh!" in front of me

- when my sister tries to convince me to eat something unhealthy she's like "come on, let's eat a lot!! come ooooonnnn, I know you wanna eat!"

- sometimes she shouts "yay mcdonald's!" when she sees me and when she's eating fast food, she's like "mmmmmm yummyyyy" and making this really annoying face in front of me

- she sees my meal and she's like "wow, that's your meal? *laughs*"

++ more

she does this on a daily basis! It's reaaaaaallyyy annoying sometimes I just wanna punch her so she could stop talking and making fun of me. it is somewhat a motivation for me cause when I reach my goal, I'm gonna show her what I worked for that she was making fun of. still annoying though haha

Replies

• XWarzonePrincessX
    Options
    My family does the same thing. They act like its ridiculous or stupid that I go to the gym and won't eat like they do. Just ignore them, chances are they'll understand when they see how your hard work pays off. In the meantime I'm going on a trip with my family to see more family! Wish me luck! :P
  • Catfriend25
    Catfriend25 Posts: 95
    Options
    awwww it's because she's young, honey!
  • SavinnaMarie
    SavinnaMarie Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    awwww it's because she's young, honey!

weeeellll actually she's my older sister but our cousin is just 1 year younger than me
  • SavinnaMarie
    Options
    My family does the same thing. They act like its ridiculous or stupid that I go to the gym and won't eat like they do. Just ignore them, chances are they'll understand when they see how your hard work pays off. In the meantime I'm going on a trip with my family to see more family! Wish me luck! :P

I know! lol I try not to let them affect my mood much cause working out also depends on my mood lol.

oh, and good luck with meeting more family members! :happy:
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    She probably keeps making comments because it gets a reaction out of you. The next time she says just ignore her. Alternatively you could try to kill her with kindness and turn her comments around. When you stop validating her comments with a response she will most likely stop making comments. I had to do this with a couple of people.
  • jayele72
    jayele72 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My wife is very supportive of me, but shes convinced Im having an affair!
  • SlightlyMadman
    SlightlyMadman Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of these type of comments are rooted in their own insecurities. They see you succeeding at something they can't, so that forces them to either dismiss you or envy you, and most people prefer to do the former.
  • SavinnaMarie
    Options
    I try not to react most of the time! I just smile and hide all the annoyance i feel but when she doesn't stop I just laugh and walk away from her. I don't need that negativity and her annoying presence around me lol. makes me wanna go to the gym more cause she's not there!
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    My wife is very supportive of me, but shes convinced Im having an affair!
    My husband isn't that supportive of me, 'cuz he thinks I'm doing it so I CAN have an affair.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    they are just immature really, nothing to be done about it. if it were me i probably would say something along the lines of "i want to live past 50" or "that stuff will make your *kitten* fat" when they speak out, but that would kind of be taking the low road
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    You ever try chilling out and eating a meal with them? Maybe they feel alienated by your superiority complex. Haha JK

The solution is easy every time they make a comment just say something in response like enjoy being fat or the diabetes or what ever their insecurity is... it will stop pretty quick.
  • ACCTGQUEEN
    ACCTGQUEEN Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Just today, I met my 5 year old twins and my mom (who watches them) at McDonald's for lunch. I ordered a plain chicken sandwich and a bottle of water. My mom (who is overweight) made fun of me and tried to get me to eat some of her fries. Then, later during the meal she started chuckling. I asked her what was wrong and she said, your arms are getting flabby since you are losing weight. Don't you have any weights at home? I wanted to cry. I have lost - with PCOS - 13 pounds by working out and eating healthy. I am now the weight I was when I got pregnant... and this is how she treats me.
  • SavinnaMarie
    Options
    I think a lot of these type of comments are rooted in their own insecurities. They see you succeeding at something they can't, so that forces them to either dismiss you or envy you, and most people prefer to do the former.

probably. my sister has tried losing weight before. she has tried insanity (which is what i am doing now) but stopped after a few days. she even tried the master cleanse thingy and lost 5 pounds in a week. she was really proud and stopped the cleanse at that point. little did she know that those quick weight loss, quickly comes back too lol. she also could not go on a diet or at least switch to healthy eating cause she simply can not control her food intake.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Just today, I met my 5 year old twins and my mom (who watches them) at McDonald's for lunch. I ordered a plain chicken sandwich and a bottle of water. My mom (who is overweight) made fun of me and tried to get me to eat some of her fries. Then, later during the meal she started chuckling. I asked her what was wrong and she said, your arms are getting flabby since you are losing weight. Don't you have any weights at home? I wanted to cry. I have lost - with PCOS - 13 pounds by working out and eating healthy. I am now the weight I was when I got pregnant... and this is how she treats me.

WOW!!!! smh!
  • dianalee9
    dianalee9 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You could ignore her and hope she stops, but I'm assuming you have tried this already.

My one sister-in-law does things like this (although she lives 9 hours away so I don't have to deal with it often), but my first options is to use sarcasm! I would say "Oh thanks so much for noticing my healthy choices. It really encourages me when people notice", or when she looks at my plate and says "THAT'S what you're eating??", I reply, "Oh yeah. Why? What do you have?" Then I look at her plate and laugh, then look at her and laugh, then walk away laughing.

So you can either take everything she says and twist it around like she meant it as a compliment, OR you can play hard ball and give it right back!
  • home1st
    home1st Posts: 1
    Options
    Remember... nobody likes a winner.
    If they are teasing you, you must be doing something right. It is easier for them to try to drag you down to their level than for them to do what they know is right.
    Forget them, and stay focused.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    How about "No, I'd rather go try on some cute new clothes for this awesome body!"
  • SavinnaMarie
    Options

Wow how insensitive of her!! please, do not mind her :grumble: be happy about what you have achieved. she is probably jealous :D:p but hey, she should be proud of you! :angry:
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Every time they did that I'd probably just point out how disgustingly fat they are (yes, I would exaggerate) and how they run out of breath when walking up a single step. They would probably stop eventually.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options

This! She doesn't feel comfortable with you making changes that she isn't ready to make herself and she is probably jealous.