Exercising with pets

Options
2»

Replies

• echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I've been starting to run with my dog because he has ridiculous amounts of energy. At the beginning he's usually pumped to run and does fine. However, he's part sheltie, and when he decides it's time to stop (usually about 3/4 of the way through my routine) he starts to herd me to get me to stop running! He'll try to jump and nip at my ankles and bark, so I have to shorten his leash and hold him out at arms length.

Really, my dog is just a jerk. But I totally wear him out when I take him for a walk/run!
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have a pit bull that I rescued. He takes me on walks instead of me taking him on walks!
  • MissJacquelineN
    MissJacquelineN Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My cat sits on my back during planks... then acts annoyed when I finish. Oh, and my dog licks me in the face when I come up doing sit ups. I guess she thinks it's a super fun game or something. :/
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    30 Min walk a night for my Old English Bulldog
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I have two Siberian Husky's and if you are familiar with the breed, they are working class and they are runners! They are bred for and known to go thousands of miles in one direction. Even my female who weighs in at about 60 pounds or so is able to pull up to a thousand pounds for around three miles.

They are also excellent trackers, hunters and are extremely well behaved on the leash in heel.

Anyway... I like to run with my female. The male is too big and fat and lazy to be able to go too far but the female is awesome. She keeps pace in heel right at my knee the entire time and she even keeps stride with me for as long as I go.

It's wonderful :)

I have a 61 lb. Samoyed and she is a lazy turd!!!! I tried running with her a couple times and when she has enough (which is like 1 mile) she sits there and does not budge. Once I had to call my son to come pick her up. And to think she is bred to be sled dog! :grumble:

But I love her so much!!! :heart:
  • fatalis_vox
    fatalis_vox Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've got an adolescent Rottweiler puppy--He loves to go walking and hiking with me, especially if it's quiet enough to take him off his leash. (I've managed to train him out of enthusiastically trying to great other walkers, runners, and chasing people on bikes--He loves to run--but children and other dogs are proving a challenge. He just wants to play!)

But when I take him out on a run, it's like I can't go fast enough for him. We start the run with him bouncing and prancing ahead of me, grabbing his leash in his mouth and pulling as if he were chanting "Faster! Faster!" and then when I can't run as fast as he can, he settles into a kind of sulky slow trot a little behind me, as if he were saying "If we can't run as fast as I want, we can't run as fast as you want, either!"

We're working on it.

I haven't started doing actual workout routines in my apartment, but I imagine he'd want to "help" as much as all the other dogs in this thread. "Tug is a great workout, Mom!" "So is fetch!" "Hey, I've got a great idea! Do those push-ups with me on your back! That's like an extra hundred pounds of resistence!" "I'm gonna shake this rope toy around until it hits you in the face, 'kay? ... Hey, is that blood I smell?"(Yes, this has happened before. He's also smashed his big clumsy skull into my lip, splitting it and making me explain to my supervisor that no one at home is hitting me except my enthusiastic puppy.)

I may throw him upstairs and lock the babygate separating up from downstairs, or I may toss him in his kennel with a chewtoys or some peanut butter.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    When I do sit ups, by cat thinks its cuddle time and cruls up in my armpit and then looks pissed when I do the situp. He also likes to lay beneath me when I do pushups.

Or if you look at my ticker, he will sit on my bed and glare at me while I work out.
  • ForCharlotte
    ForCharlotte Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i just recently started taking my dogs on walks with me. took me a while to find a park that wasn't crazy crowded. they have always been my little helpers though. sitting on my back when i attempt to do a push up., showing me how downward dog is really done, running up way past our apartments floor and refusing to come back down. you know good stuff like that lol
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! Great topic!

I was doing push-ups once while my black kitten was trying to rub up against my head, arms, everything!

Then when I do yoga . . . forget it! His rubbing-up behaviors are way worse! I think it's cute :)

ETA: One time when I was doing an Insanity workout, he was running back and forth, from room to room, like a maniac. I think he thought that he had to "go crazy" like mommy was doing!
  • Point202
    Point202 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I do some cardio workout videos in my living room, and my shepherd/lab mix (85lb dog) thinks it is playtime, every time. He brings me toys and places them strategically in my way. It's turned into a game - I toss his toy, and he fetches while I do some cardio, when we transition to the next move, I toss it again... It makes for a good workout for both of us.

I've just started doing some weight lifting at home, and he thinks the barbell is for him to jump over / walk under. I don't want to hurt him by dropping the heavy weights on him, so I started locking him out of our basement where the weight room is. When I come upstairs, he is laying by the door and pouting because I left him out of something fun.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    My dog is a German Shepherd/Rottweiler mix. She is great to walk with, since she definitely wants to go faster. I do have her on a pinch collar so she can't pull my arm out of its socket. I'm hoping to work my way up to being able to jog or run with her, since she definitely has the energy.

I've started doing Step at home on days when we can't walk and she sits outside and stares at me through the sliding glass door.

The cats just hang out upstairs, but they do like it when I move the couch to make room for the step.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    That's my experience, too. They think yoga workouts mean cuddle and puppy play.
    We walk the dogs for 30-35 minutes twice a day. These little walks are good for all. My dogs are trained to be under control off-leash and wear a beeper on their neck that I can beep if they accidently do something wrong. We have so many bunnies and cats in our neighborhood but my dogs, who love to chase, don't do it when they have their beepers on.
    The beepers are actually a Tri-tec electric collar but I never use the shock. I can have as many as three dogs with one remote, although my old dog passed away last year.
    By having the collars on, it also meets our leash law.
    I have a papillon ( 7 pound dog) and a large Doberman. ( 90 lbs) both have been to agility and obedience classes. Btw, agility is a workout, once you get past the early slow exercises. Eve watch the trainers on the televised competitions? The good ones are always ultra-fit.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Rieann, my terrier is a rescue too; I am glad to know that mine isn't the only dumb one :) I've come to realize that I am just not a strong enuf person to be a terrier mom. And ya, she has no idea that: walk in front of mom...you're gonna get stepped on. She's a wild one. But she's a keeper anyway.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    My dog nearly killed me one day. I was working out in the spare bedroom. He was laying on the bed watching. I started doing pushups. As I was coming up from the bottom of one pushup, he jumped off the bed onto the back of my head. I guess he thought it was a game. He was about 15kg at the time (33 lbs). He's a lot larger now.

As it was, it was bad. My face slammed into the carpet and I was knocked senseless for a second or two. My nose, while not broken, was bleeding profusely. My neck and head hurt for days.

The end result is, he's not allowed to work out with me anymore. The only time we exercise together is his daily walks.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I exercise at home with my cat. When I do push-ups he likes to assist by running under me everytime I push up which means I have to knock him out of the way in order to go back down. Its a fun game.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I have two kitties who like to help me with awareness of my surroundings when I exercise. One cat likes to run back and forth from the living room chairs to the window, but she runs in front of me where I can kick or step on her if I'm not watching... I haven't gotten her yet, though! :smile: My other cat likes to burrow under my yoga mat when I'm not using it. She'll be feeling extra snuggly sometimes and will burrow under the back of it when I'm only sitting/standing at the front. So I have to watch her, too.

I had a cat once who would climb up on my chest or back when I was laying down for Pilates. I'd make him get down, but he'd get right back up again.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I walk 2-4 miles a day and run a couple of miles 2-3 a week with my large, athletic dog because he gets seriously depressed if I don't. He's a touch and go kind of pup, showing up every few minutes to touch base before sprinting off again. I walk and he disappears, ranging out about a 1/4 of a mile. You'd think he wouldn't know where I am or that he even needs me for the walk but the moment I stop the walk, he wants to come in the house too and won't go out by himself.
  • trinity5703
    trinity5703 Posts: 78
    Options
    Ive got a big (70 pound) 10 yr old Belgian Tervuren, Very intelligent dog but If he doesn't get at least an hour walking daily (when HE wants it.. not on my schedule) he morphs into the most annoying creature on the face of the earth. He will sit next to my desk chair and just stare.... and the make that "huffing" noise if I ignore him. They were bred for heading, so if I get up for any reason and dont lace up my shoes and grabbed the leash quick enough to suit him he will "herd" me... nudging my legs with his body, (darn near knocking me over) and plant himself in front of me to prevent forward movement.

So yea, he gets his walk...now granted.. we dont walk real fast.... lets face it when a 70 pound dog HAS to check his "P-mail" and sniff every bush. tree, blade of grass within a 2 mile radius, your walk isnt going to be swift. (sigh) I love him tho, and he does force me to get the exercise I need. :)