How to hit protein macro?

Options
13»

Replies

• momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes help me a lot. Eggs, cheese, STEAK mmmm.
  • sammama5
    sammama5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    From looking at your stats, your carbs and your protein are both set at 131, and fat at 78. You can change these macros so that you are set to get a little more carbs and fat and a bit less protein. You may want to try 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat.
    ^^this^^
    I was wondering how you adjusted your goals because it does seem like a really high goal for protein. Did MFP calculate that, or did you do it manually. If you can't realistically attain the 131, what good is there in having it set that high?
  • vtleo82
    vtleo82 Posts: 5
    Options
    Seriously consider adding a good meal replacement shake! I am on a wonderful program. Always hit my protein numbers and never feel hungry! I'd be happy to talk more with you. I am a health coach and helping people like you is what I love to do! I have the tools if you would like my help! :happy:
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're doing okay with your lunches and dinners, but you're not prioritizing protein when it comes to your breakfasts and snacks. Everyone else has given you some good ideas, so you just need to start building your breakfasts and snacks around good protein sources.

Where did you get your macro distribution?
  • kahlonsa
    kahlonsa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Be really, really careful with protein powders/bars. Most of them are really hard for your body to digest and are often processed and heated to the point where thy are denatured, but there are more and more clean and cold-pressed proteins that are easier for your body to digest/recognize as a viable protein available on the market.

I personally go with Sunwarrior Natural flavor protein powder, and after my run in the mornings, I put one scoop of it in a smoothie with the following:

1/2 cup low fat kefir
    1/2 cup Original Unsweetened Almond Breeze
    1 tbsp unsalted almond butter
    1 tbsp chia seeds
    1/2 tbsp flax seed meal
    1/2 tbsp hemp seeds
    1/2 packet of unsweetened Carnation Breakfast Mix
    1/2 banana
    1/2 cup of ice

It's really, really good, and I look forward to it every morning.
    This way, I get 47 grams of protein in my breakfast with around 400 calories and around 40 carbs (most of the carbs being from the banana).
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese
    Greek Yogurt (my fave is Oikos)
    Chicken (I cook an entire bag of frozen tenderloins in the crock pot, shred it, add bbq sauce or whatever and eat on it all week)
    Fish (Frozen tilapia cooks in 5 minutes frozen -> done)
    I also add whey protein shake after I work out to boost my protein.
    Peanut butter has a little
    Peas have surprising amounts of protein.
    Tuna (don't go bonkers on the tuna because it's higher in mercury)
    Almonds
    ETA: Yikes! EGGS. I eat a couple scrambled eggs or hardboiled eggs a day, most days. Good protein and fats source.

Those are what get me through. Almond milk has a bit, too!
  • amejia79
    amejia79 Posts: 8
    Options
    Unflavored Whey Protein Isolate
  • Shauneerae21
    Options
    Eggs, Greek yogurt, chicken, beans, and tuna have all become a part of my diet to help me boost my protein. Chicken and tuna are great because you can make so many things with them!! Also, mix in some fruit and drizzle some honey on plain Greek yogurt, yummmmmm!
  • meganfoster12
    meganfoster12 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I like protein shakes and my favourite is:

1 cup of milk
    1.5 scoops of whey isolate chocolate
    1tbsp of flaxseed
    2 tbsp. of peanut butter
    ice

Blend and enjoy!