Accessories for new runners

Options
Hello,

As per a previous post, I am starting a C25K.

What accessories are recommended? watch? HRM? belt? Anything??

Replies

• scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    That's the thing I love about running... all you need is a good pair of sneakers and some clothes and you are all set. All the other stuff is fun to have, but not necessary. I do take my phone with me so I can listen to my tunes. And I have a water bottle sometimes, depending on the tempurature and the distance (either in my hand or in a belt I have). If I am running at work, I need my badge to get back in the building. I don't have a HRM because I think it would make me crazy. My hubs has one he uses when he bikes and loves it. In the summer months, I bring a white hand towel to dab my sweat and swat the horse/deer flies.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    As long as you've got a decent pair of running shoes, I think that's all you need for now. Know that it's going to stick before you invest in hundreds of dollars in accessories.

Once you know running is something you're going to be into and want to invest in:
    Properly fitted running shoes
    Non-cotton running clothes
    Good socks - I like Smartwool PhD and Feetures
    GPS watch with HRM
    Belt - small accessory belt like a SPIbelt to stash ID, keys, etc, or a fuel belt if you think you'll be added considerable distance (I don't use a fuel belt but plan long runs around water sources)
    Foam roller - absolutely essential for runners, imo
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    My must haves for running are:

GOOD running shoes
    moisture-wicking clothing
    Garmin GPS watch (mine has an HRM too which I use sometimes)
    something to put music on (iphone, ipod)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've been running with my Garmin for a number of years now - I like the feedback it gives me (pace, HR, elevation) and it can help you dial back the pace on the days you really want to go slow.

Other than that it's pretty much just climate related stuff. Hat & sunglasses for summer & a variety of layers (tights, halfzips, base layers etc) for spring, fall & winter.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    when I was just running 5K I had good running shoes fitted for my feet, and a Nathan's 5K belt to hold my phone, sweat bands but really they were just bandanas, Polar FT7 and my Oakley M Frames. you won't need anything else. You really don't even need the HRM.
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    As long as you've got a decent pair of running shoes, I think that's all you need for now. Know that it's going to stick before you invest in hundreds of dollars in accessories.

Once you know running is something you're going to be into and want to invest in:
    Properly fitted running shoes
    Non-cotton running clothes
    Good socks - I like Smartwool PhD and Feetures
    GPS watch with HRM
    Belt - small accessory belt like a SPIbelt to stash ID, keys, etc, or a fuel belt if you think you'll be added considerable distance (I don't use a fuel belt but plan long runs around water sources)
    Foam roller - absolutely essential for runners, imo

^^ this. You only need a good pair of running shoes. You can start investing more on running gears when you are into running and will run consistently.

in addition to what ShannonMpls has, I also got pedometer (with the GPS watch), running hats, head bands, bluetooth headset, armband, dumbbells, short towels, thermo jacket, running gloves...
    hm....I think i am a little addicted. But I haven't gotten to expert level's gears yet because I'm still a beginner runner.
  • Marlitharn
    Marlitharn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'll second what everyone else has already said, and add in a good running bra. Seriously. I'm small busted and thought I could get away with el cheapo Walmart sports bras, and they worked okay at first, but as I run longer intervals I'm finding that they're just not doing the job anymore.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Shoes aren't an accessory, they are a necessity. Without them you risk injury. The same goes for the right socks and sports bra ... they are required equipment to participate ... a uniform if you will.

What accessories you go with really depend on how into running you get and where you choose to run. Hydration systems (belt, backpack, etc), all weather clothing to enable running more often, reflective or LED bands for low light safety, a phone armband if you use your phone on your runs, accessory belt if you find yourself wanting to carry items that running clothes don't have the pockets for ... if you become a data junkie, then a HRM and GPS (watch or app) are useful.

You don't have to spend a lot of money on toys to be a runner. Once you start buying accessories, it is a slippery slope ... trust me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What accessories are recommended? watch? HRM? belt? Anything??

Shoes
    Clothing - PRefer wicking and apropriate for your climate - Personally I prefer running tights to shorts most of the time and use high viz tops
    Glasses - Generally with interchangeable lenses as appropriate

When the weather starts to get colder, hat and gloves

As you're talking about 5K for the moment that's about it. Once you've cracked the 5K distance you'll probably end up working up to 10Km and at that point you'll be making a decision about whether you want to focus on those distances or go longer. That's the point t start thinking about instrumentation. A GPS watch is a significant investment, so I really wouldn't advocate it in the short term.

You might want a handheld bottle, I've moved on to a fuel belt with a pouch for gels, keys etc and two 500ml bottles, although I generally only use it for longer runs of greater than 10K

I carry my phone in an arm strap.

One of the best things about running is that there is very little kit that you actually need, although quite a lot you might want.

fwiw I have an HRM, but rarely use it except for my long runs now.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I've run pretty regularly at some points - ie did a stint of 9k a day for 11 days ones. Regularly ran 2/3 times a week with a club, ran a trail ultramarathon and so on.

Only two things I'd look to get are proper running shoes to suit your gait and proper running socks.

If you do off road running and it's muddy (most of mine has been in West Yorks in the UK) consider proper trail or fell running shoes.

Anything else isn't really needed I'd say - I like a HRM to monitor calories so I know how much food I've earned.

Never found the need for 'running' clothes other than shoes/socks - old tracksuit trousers or shorts do me fine and whatever t-shirt is at the top of the pile.

Phone for music (and sometimes HRM) if running alone goes in my pocket.
    If it's wet, may wear a waterproof cycling top. Or, just get a bit wet and have a shower when I get back :).
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I will echo what others said:

#1 - Properly fitted running shoes (don't just go with brand - just because it's a Nike/New Balance/Asics, etc. doesn't mean it's the right shoe FOR YOU). Go to a running store. Be prepared to spend $100-125. Your feet, ankles, shins, knees, hips, and lower back will thank you.

#2 - Running socks. These also can be pricey ($10/pair). I prefer "WrightSocks". Without proper running socks, I get blisters. Invest in 2-3 pair. Your feet will thank you again.

#3 - Proper running clothing. I prefer capri length pants because, well, my thighs are fat and if I wear shorts that don't create a barrier between them, the chafing - oh the chafing... it doesn't necessarily hurt when it happens, but when you shower afterward and the water hits it - oh goodness, it STINGS soooooo bad! If your thighs aren't fat, it might not be such a problem. (I have had the same problem with my fat arms if I run in a tank top - but that usually doesn't happen until I'm running more than 5 miles at a time). I'm working on all these things and my chubbiness is going away... my latest personal NSV was being able to run 2 miles in shorts without wanting to die when I took a shower.

Everything else can wait until you decide whether running is something you want to stick to or not. I had no other gear for my first several 10k runs... it was only when I started training for a half marathon that I bought a "fuel belt" (two small water bottles and a little pouch for my ShotBlocks). I didn't get a Garmin until I had been running for several years - and even then, it was used and my dad (who is a lifetime runner/marathoner) bought it for me for my birthday.

If it rains a lot where you live, a hat can be good to keep the sweat from getting washed into your eyes - again with the stinging!! yeeeouch.
  • mleaflash
    mleaflash Posts: 1
    Options
    Appropriate clothes and good running shoes.

I like to run to music so an armband for my phone is a necessity. There are plenty of apps to track your distance, and hr/calories (with HRM).

I have the Polar H7 HRM and use Polar Beat app because I wanted and accurate calorie count for my MFP log.

I don't carry water with me but I am just at the tail end of the C25K and only in the last week have been able to do the whole 5k without walking. I just make sure to have some water a soon as I finish.

To start, you just have to get out there and ... start! there is plenty of time to go shopping later once your running addiction fully develops ( which it will :) )
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I can't run without a hat or a visor. :tongue: Keeps my hair out of my face and sweat from running into my eyes, in addition to keeping some of the sun off my face. In winter it helps block a little rain.

Other than that, after two years of running I always have

-good shoes
    -wicking fabrics
    -good socks (love my Smartwool socks!)
    -HRM
    -armband for my phone for tunes and running apps (I like Nike+ & Runkeeper)
    -Road ID http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx
    -sunglasses
    and of course, the hat. :smile:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I should note I do wear a hat most of the time when running. But then I do most of the time when not at work too, so not much different :).

I do have a (very) bright head torch for night runs. But same torch used on the bike and if out walking the dog.

On my own, will sometime run in jeans and whatever I'm wearing on my top.

Don't find I really need to take water with me, though some do - at events they usually have water and the longest I've done outside an event (11 miles) I was fine.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm only echoing what others have said. Make sure you've been fitted for running shoes at a reputable local running specialty store. That's all you'll need for 3 miles. If you get through C25K and want to push the distance further, then you can start adding a Garmin, fuel belt, spibelt, more running clothes, etc. No sense in spending the money just yet.
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Good shoes! I run outside only, so I have a good visor that I wear in case of sun, rain, whatever. Oh, and comfy, running-appropriate underwear!