What to drink in the mornings.

Options
2»

Replies

• MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee in the morning.

Have you ever tried Blue Diamond vanilla-flavored almond milk? it's delicious, IMO, and very low-calorie. I buy the unsweetened kind, and like it plain, but it's even better with a frozen banana and 3 frozen strawberries and a couple of packets of sucralose all blended together with an immersion blender. YUM! nothing like a strawberry-banana shake in the morning. =)
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I'm hooked on my coke zero. Occasionally I crave coffee but use no sugar.

EDIT:
    What is wrong with orange juice? huh Sugar content? Grab an orange and a juicer....fresh squeezed with no additives. Will still have sugar, but no more than an orange will........fruit isn't evil and the vit C will be fun! Other lovely juices are cranberry, grape, and tomato (just have to be careful with sodium if you are sensitive).

Nothing wrong with juice, but some of our diets don't allow for that much sugar and especially in the mornings :smile:

Oh, I know it doesn't work for those with sugar sensitivities, but OP is drinking Dr. Pepper at this point....and researching the negative aspects of orange juice. 20 oz of Dr. Pepper has 64 g of sugar while 20 oz of fresh squeezed orange juice has 52 g sugar.....still an improvement. ETA: Not to mention a much better nutrient list.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Why no water in the morning? I am the antithesis of you. Every morning I have two cups of coffee and 750 ml of water min.

If it's caffieine you're craving, I recommend a mate tea. It has a chocolate-ish flavor. Also great- fruit teas! White fruit tea (apricot, peach, pear) can be light and lovely, while black teas can getcha going, caffeine-wise (vanilla, red currant, cinnamon).

Pick a flavor you like, see if it comes in tea-form. Don't be afraid to add sweetener- sugar, tea, sugar substitute. I have recently weaned myself off of splenda, but def. needed it to start drinking tea in the first place. Also, monitor steeping times. A lot of people who don't like tea are either over or under steeping it, which can ruin a nice cup.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm a Pepper too - or I was........

I still have the occasional one - actually am right now since I'm hung over from my husband's birthday...(but that is another story)

In the morning I drink Iced Coffee with creamer and homemade carmel syrup (still get the sweet and caffeine, but a few less calories for a larger service (about 125 for a 16oz glass). I drink water, but sometimes I add a little mio or crystal light to it for flavor and I don't drink it cold either - room temp.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Total Dr. Pepper lover. Fortunately, Diet Dr. Pepper tastes very much like the real thing (unlike other brands).

My morning is coffee, then hot citrus tea (lemon or orange) or mint, then water, water, water, water, water, water, water...then more water. I maybe have a Diet Dr. P occasionally, but always sandwiched between waters.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I will probably be killed for this, but how about some Diet Dr. Pepper or even Dr. Pepper Ten...just as you wean yourself off the hard stuff?

That's my only suggestion because I'm a coffee and water girl. I love all the teas people have suggested but find those to be an afternoon or evening thing for me, they just don't appeal to me before noon for some reason.

Good luck!
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I will probably be killed for this, but how about some Diet Dr. Pepper or even Dr. Pepper Ten...just as you wean yourself off the hard stuff?

That's my only suggestion because I'm a coffee and water girl. I love all the teas people have suggested but find those to be an afternoon or evening thing for me, they just don't appeal to me before noon for some reason.

Good luck!

I love Diet Dr. P! Tastes like the real stuff!
  • princessgloomy
    princessgloomy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For years I used to drink 4-5 Dr.Pepers a day! But most importantly was my morning fix :) Slowly I have weaned myself off of them. Right now I am drinking the Special K Protein Shakes. If you can get past the thick texture, the flavor isn't that bad.

If I don't drink that, I drink Lipton's diet green tea, citrus or mixed berry flavor. I was skeptical of green tea, especially diet, until I tried some of a friends. It has more flavor than I expected!
  • R_Woodruff
    R_Woodruff Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Does no one drink milk in the mornings anymore?

Honestly all that I ever drink anymore is water, coffee, lemonade, and on occasion vodka. If I could trust myself to only have a cup of real whole milk at a time I'd drink that too, but unfortunately I tend to wanna chug the whole jug. (Grew up with milk at every meal...LOVE IT!) So I stick to my almond milk only with my cereal, I don't like it by itself as much. If you're weaning yourself off DP I don't suggest all at once, you'll more than likely get awful caffiene headaches. Make the switch to diet and from there gradually quit. As for morning drinks smoothies, freshly squeezed orange juice, milk, protein shakes, breakfast essentials shakes, water with flavoring ex: mio, crytal light, koolaid. There are a ton of options, just play around with it and find what's best for you.
  • Aprilwantstolose50lbs
    Options
    I'm sorry I should have said I don't like to drink water first thing in the morning! :)
  • the_texreb
    the_texreb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Coffee. If you don't like it, add whiskey. If that doesn't work, try it without the coffee. Once you realize whiskey is the breakfast of champions, Rinse and Repeat.
  • rexroars
    rexroars Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Plain tea (you can make it hot or make a bunch and ice it!)
    Water "infused" with fruits/mint/lemon (you can buy special bottles for this, like from Blogilates, or just get a big bottle and put them at the bottom)

As a meal replacement - make a fruit smoothie! With greek yogurt and protein powder.

There's also juicing, which isn't a meal replacement, but if you don't like water you probably won't like that....
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Tequila! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i drink water and coffee pretty much all day long. and in the morning
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I usually have tea or water. Sometimes make a smoothie with protein powder in it.

Making fresh squeezed orange juice would be better.

Could even cut how much of the dr. pepper you drink in the morning if you really needed that fix.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I should have said I don't like to drink water first thing in the morning! :)

Honestly, get over it. If you're looking for something good to drink in the morning (or any time), there is nothing better than water.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I drink water, but a transition from 12oz of Dr. Pepper to 4oz of Orange Juice would be positive. :)

Dr. Pepper is full of empty calories. 4oz of OJ fulfills your Vitamin C needs.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    reduced sugar OJ, milk, chai tea, water, apple juice, grape juice..... many options are available.
  • glenelliott5872
    glenelliott5872 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Tea!!!! But I am English so what do you expect
  • LauraBest2013
    LauraBest2013 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Orange juice and green tea every morning with my breakfast.
    Used to be hooked on 'normal' tea but have managed to switch to Green tea and sometimes peppermint tea.