Is Anyone Else Trying the "Hungry Girl Diet" ?

Options

Replies

• 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Ok, for the doubters: she calls herself Hungry Girl because traditional "diets" left her hungry, so she started making lower cal recipes of her favorite foods that still fill her up. It's not because you are hungry on it
    Doubters?

The point is that NO "diet " s necessary to lose weight. Eat what you normally eat just less of it so that you are burning more than you eat.
    AKA a diet.
    I think you are missing my point. To me, a "diet" in the way I use it above is food restriction as to the TYPE of foods eaten, and it's my understanding of her "diet" is low sugar and low fat. You don't have to restrict TYPE of foods to lose weight or to maintain, you just eat less of it/

We are all on a diet in the general sense of diet being the foods we choose toeat.
    and we are on a diet whether we follow the advice of someone else in terms of how to reduce calories or we decide how ourselves.

We are on a diet whether we restrict calories or not according to the definition of diet.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    This is getting a little silly now. Ok yes granted that is the definition in the dictionary, but the definition of 'sick' means to feel nauseous or vomiting....but to a younger generation the meaning of the word changes. As is the case of the word diet, most would mean it to be a process which is short term
    i agree. And, I apologize to all, as I believe it was my comment that derailed this thread.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Ok, for the doubters: she calls herself Hungry Girl because traditional "diets" left her hungry, so she started making lower cal recipes of her favorite foods that still fill her up. It's not because you are hungry on it
    Doubters?

The point is that NO "diet " s necessary to lose weight. Eat what you normally eat just less of it so that you are burning more than you eat.
    AKA a diet.
    I think you are missing my point. To me, a "diet" in the way I use it above is food restriction as to the TYPE of foods eaten, and it's my understanding of her "diet" is low sugar and low fat. You don't have to restrict TYPE of foods to lose weight or to maintain, you just eat less of it/

We are all on a diet in the general sense of diet being the foods we choose toeat.
    and we are on a diet whether we follow the advice of someone else in terms of how to reduce calories or we decide how ourselves.

We are on a diet whether we restrict calories or not according to the definition of diet.
    we sure are.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Doubters?

AKA a diet.

we sure are.

You use the word diet as you like, but as I have stated, to many others and myself it means something else. So that's all really there is to it.....
    I'm not arguing that point in the slightest. I am merely reminding folks that whether you're doing "IIFYM" or the Dash Diet or anything else: if you're consciously limiting something, be it calories, fat, carbs, or whatever, with the goal of losing weight, you're on a diet. Count calories or count carbs or whatever. It's a diet.
  • alleycat41
    alleycat41 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ok just wanted to comment because i saw a quote in this thread where someone said losing 10 pounds in 4 weeks is dangerous and not sustainable ..i started MFP 30 days ago and it started me out at 1200 cals a day, this is what i'm eating even now and i have been exercising like i'm supposed to and i have lost 14-16 pounds since i started 30 days ago..if this is dangerous and not sustainable then what should i be doing differently?
  • I've seen her posts over the years and she has some good ideas. The journaling thing for me is tantamount to success; it helped me doing WW and that part of MFP helps tremendously. 10 lbs in a month isn't unreasonable, HOWEVER obviously everyone is different and requires different caloric amounts. So in short it certainly isn't a one size fits all, but if it works, great! There was an equation we used in human nutrition ( part of my human bio/ pre nursing major) that I simplified for myself as adding 00 to my weight to maintain. So my goal is 145, my intake would be 1400-1450 to stay at that weight. Right now I try to stay between 1500-1600 per day, and I am as active as my body allows me to be ( I have a systemic destructive joint disease). If I stuck to my plan religiously I might be able to drop 10 lbs in a month on my allotted amount, but I'm also medically obese. I think 1300 would be too low at this point.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Doubters?

AKA a diet.

we sure are.

You use the word diet as you like, but as I have stated, to many others and myself it means something else. So that's all really there is to it.....
    I'm not arguing that point in the slightest. I am merely reminding folks that whether you're doing "IIFYM" or the Dash Diet or anything else: if you're consciously limiting something, be it calories, fat, carbs, or whatever, with the goal of losing weight, you're on a diet. Count calories or count carbs or whatever. It's a diet.
    My question why you need to "remind folks" of anything at all?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Doubters?

AKA a diet.

we sure are.

quite simply because the post I was replying to seemed to suggest (as often happens here) that calorie counting (and weighing, measuring etc.) isn't a diet.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Doubters?

AKA a diet.

we sure are.

quite simply because the post I was replying to seemed to suggest (as often happens here) that calorie counting (and weighing, measuring etc.) isn't a diet.
    Oh brother, so black and white. People in general restrict calories if they don't want to gain weight, even if it's unconscious. Think of the people who don't gain weight, or those who want to lose a few pounds, and they don't count calorie just cut back a bit. They don't have magic bodies, they simply intuitively know how much they can eat to maintain or lose those few pounds.

Losing weight and keeping it off is much more than counting calories, etc and throwing out dictionary definitions, it's a mindset and changing your relationship with food. Losing weight is NOT grabbing the next fad that comes along for the quick fix. I realize this is not true for everyone, but it it for me.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    ok just wanted to comment because i saw a quote in this thread where someone said losing 10 pounds in 4 weeks is dangerous and not sustainable ..i started MFP 30 days ago and it started me out at 1200 cals a day, this is what i'm eating even now and i have been exercising like i'm supposed to and i have lost 14-16 pounds since i started 30 days ago..if this is dangerous and not sustainable then what should i be doing differently?

When you first start exercising/restricting calories, you can expect a large drop in weight (I lost 12 lbs in my first month) but it is likely that you will keep seeing the same results. If your goals are set correctly (which I won't know unless you post your stats) you should start losing on target after a few weeks.

If you want to PM me for more information, I'd be happy to share. Also, there are plenty of links posted on my profile if you want to check them out.
  • alleycat41
    alleycat41 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    thank you for that..based on what was said i thought i was doing something wrong or dangerous..it's a bit hard to know what is okay and what is not when there are so many people here with differing opinions..
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    thank you for that..based on what was said i thought i was doing something wrong or dangerous..it's a bit hard to know what is okay and what is not when there are so many people here with differing opinions..
    I love trying out different types of recipes. Some years back, the McDougall Diet was all the rage, which is low fat and vegetarian. I tried it for awhile, found out I was not able to eat however much I wanted and still lose weight, but to this day I love some of the recipes, even though I'm not vegetarian and can't eat soy products.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Doubters?

AKA a diet.

we sure are.

Oh brother, so black and white. People in general restrict calories if they don't want to gain weight, even if it's unconscious. Think of the people who don't gain weight, or those who want to lose a few pounds, and they don't count calorie just cut back a bit. They don't have magic bodies, they simply intuitively know how much they can eat to maintain or lose those few pounds.

Losing weight and keeping it off is much more than counting calories, etc and throwing out dictionary definitions, it's a mindset and changing your relationship with food. Losing weight is NOT grabbing the next fad that comes along for the quick fix. I realize this is not true for everyone, but it it for me.
    it's a diet. New or old. Whys that a bad thing?
  • spiceshirl
    spiceshirl Posts: 177
    Options
    Never heard of it but will look it up!
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Doubters?

AKA a diet.

we sure are.

Sabine,

No good or bad is involved here, and neither is there any right or wrong. Not everybody sees things the way that you do, and that's okay. I don't profess my perception of what a diet is or is not is right or wrong, just that it is what works for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Doubters?

AKA a diet.

we sure are.

Sabine,

No good or bad is involved here, and neither is there any right or wrong. Not everybody sees things the way that you do, and that's okay. I don't profess my perception of what a diet is or is not is right or wrong, just that it is what works for me.
    Actually, I refer you to your first post "The point is that NO "diet " s necessary to lose weight. Eat what you normally eat just less of it so that you are burning more than you eat. " Perhaps a formal diet (as opposed to a diet you create) *may* be necessary for some and IS useful to some. cheers and best of luck with YOUR personal journey.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    She once advised viewers to buy deli cole slaw and rinse off the dressing. She also uses a TON of fat free and "light" products which I find unsatisfactory in taste.

I will lose .5 pounds a week eating the real thing.