Vegetables? Eww Yuk

Options
levs08
levs08 Posts: 27 Member
I'm finding it hard to stick to most diet plans when so many involve foods I just don't like. I know it sounds childish, but my taste buds simply won't allow certain foods. Are there any "healthy" foods that you just don't like to eat, regardless of how healthy it may be?

My NO List:
Beets
Bok choy
Brussels sprout
Celery
Kale
Chard
Watercress
Avocado
Bell peppers
Eggplant
Olives
Sweet pepper
Zucchini
Artichoke
Cauliflower
Asparagus
Leeks
Onions
Parsnip
Radish
Rutabaga
Taro
Turnip
Water chestnut

I'm prepared for the onslaught of "Oh, really? How can you not like ******? They're amazing!" Believe me, I have tried and tried for years to like these foods, but it just doesn't do well on my tongue.

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Onions for the most part.

That's a pretty impressive list you've actually tried! I'm now curious which ones do you like?
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Like I tell my kids, "You don't have to like it, you just have to eat it."

Or not... it's your health.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Just include foods you like, then. Your diet will be more sustainable that way.

I was a really picky eater as a child; the only vegetable I would eat was potato (mashed or as chips). As I have grown older, I have begun to be able to eat almost anything, although I still don't like beetroot, celery and brussell sprouts.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    The only vegetables I can't see on your "yuk" list are carrots and lettuce.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I hate to be that person, but have you tried any of those roasted, marinated, caramelized? The difference in taste is amazing.
  • Mini_horse_lover
    Mini_horse_lover Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Try eating them as chips, soups, green smoothies, roast veggies etc.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    My ex was like that, I hated going out to eat with her because she was so picky she always wanted them to make her something not even close to being on the menu. Embarrassing...
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I hate to be that person, but have you tried any of those roasted, marinated, caramelized? The difference in taste is amazing.

Yeah this!
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    On the plus side, that allows for sweet potatoes and carrots (Vitamin A), broccoli and tomatoes (Vitamin C), spinach and garbanzos (iron), lentils and avocados (potassium), green peas and mushrooms (Vitamins B1/B2)... The key diet plan is eating fewer calories than you burn which these also allow.

I think you should be just fine with these. :)
  • trinity5703
    trinity5703 Posts: 78
    Options
    My list is almost identical but I'd have to add Mushrooms and Tomatoes to it. I do love my Beets and Zucchini however.
    I manage just fine on the veggies I do like and will eat.

Lettuce (unless its iceberg variety... yuck!)
    Raw Spinach
    Broccoli
    Zucchini
    Squash
    Almost any variety of beans
    Red, Yellow or orange peppers (I find they are sweeter)
    Cucumbers
    Sweet potatoes
    Corn
    Carrots
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I used to only like a few vegetables. Fortunately, with my change in eating, my tastes changed. Now the only healthy thing I don't like is mushrooms.
  • Mini_horse_lover
    Mini_horse_lover Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Yeah this!

I agree with this, too.
  • mooie70
    mooie70 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    This!

I love my veges, and salads, and fruit. Love love love them. And after seeing this I am so grateful that I do. It would be incredibly hard to have so many hated foods. But then again if I had a few more maybe I wouldn't be in this mess in the first place :laugh:
  • mooie70
    mooie70 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Me too. Take the humble eggplant for instance. Grilled with and then without olive oil makes it two completely different foods, one I find palatable and one not so much...

Yeah this!

I agree with this, too.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Should of had a V8! lol seriously I don't like veggies or fruit either. I drink a glass of V8 Vfusion everyday and I eat the motts healthy harvest flavored applesauce to get my fruit in.
    The veggies/fruits I will eat are as followed:
    green beans
    carrots
    corn
    onions
    tomatoes
    potatoes
    spinach
    bell peppers
    beans (pinto, kidney, refried)
    bananas
    apples
    pears
    celery
    black olives
    avocado
    pumpkin
    peas
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    It's shorter to list the vegetables I will eat...

Bell peppers
    Cabbage ( :heart: )
    Tomatoes
    Pickles
    Olives
    Carrots
    Broccoli
    Zucchini
    Potatoes (NOT sweet ones :sick: )
    Peas
    Eggplant
    Onions ( :heart: )
    Spinach
    Corn

Anything else, no thanks.
    As for fruit, only figs, sometimes apples and grapes.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I love most vegetables, but the only ones I don't like are eggplant and zucchini. It's more the texture for me, than taste.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I love vegetables! All vegetables! Raw, roasted, grilled, boiled, steamed, stir fried, BBQ'd, mashed, grated, sautéed, made into burgers, blended into smoothies....yum!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    What about squash and broccoli? Not all hope is lost!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Bok choy is surprising to me....that is one vegetable that has very little flavor and, instead, picks up the flavors it is cooked in. Maybe you can give it another shot cut up into a soup or stir fry.