The Ups and Downs of Daily Weight Checks

Options
janams81
janams81 Posts: 1 Member
Dear scale-obsessed control freaks (like me),

Here is a chart of my success from my first (almost) month of using MFP. I weighed myself every day. The blue line is my weight, while the red line is a best fit calculation. I’m glad I stuck with it even when the numbers went up!

ibk2PcU.jpg

Replies

• Calfuray
    Calfuray Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Dear scale-obsessed control freaks (like me),

Here is a chart of my success from my first (almost) month of using MFP. I weighed myself every day. The blue line is my weight, while the red line is a best fit calculation. I’m glad I stuck with it even when the numbers went up!

ibk2PcU.jpg

:flowerforyou:
  • 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Why do you weigh everyday?
  • LessisBestforMe
    LessisBestforMe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I need to learn to stay off the scale daily...I seem to be obsessed and to see the up and down daily makes me crazy!
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options

You actually get better at dealing with ups and downs when you can see that it happens all the time.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options

OP did refer to herself as "a scale-obsessed control freak". I weigh every day, too.
  • MyStarr7
    MyStarr7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think is good to weigh everyday. I do it for control, to have an idea of how the food I ate the day before affected my weight and what changes I need to make in order to not gain.
  • 4aces61
    Options
    I weigh once a week or every 2 weeks. My weight can/has fluctuate up to 6lbs from one day to the next. Since I know this, no need in making myself crazy.
  • 4aces61
    Options
    I think is good to weigh everyday. I do it for control, to have an idea of how the food I ate the day before affected my weight and what changes I need to make in order to not gain.
    I don't have that issue, I guess that's why it's not a problem for me. My diet is pretty disciplined, plus there's always a sizable deficit at the end of the day.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week or every 2 weeks. My weight can/has fluctuate up to 6lbs from one day to the next. Since I know this, no need in making myself crazy.

I weigh every day. It doesn't make me crazy. If anything, the opposite. I've been doing it for 18 months, so by now I know how much fluctuation I can expect from things like drinking alcohol, increasing carbs, or increasing my weights.

I think if it's going to make a person freak out then yeah, they should do it less often. But that's not everyone.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Just as long as you realize that there are a lot more variables than food. Time of month, exercise, salt, and dehydration can all make a difference.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You can't deny the data! :drinker:
  • AHASRADA
    AHASRADA Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. I like getting to know my body, which activities and foods can cause the ups and downs, etc. I actually tried weighing weekly, but it didn't keep me accountable enough. I could "cheat" and think, that's OK, I've got another 5 days until weigh-in day, I can make up for it by then, etc.

I started using the app "Happy Scale", which works best with daily weigh ins. It uses your daily data to estimate your actual weight, so you can see trends over time and not get hung up on the daily ups and downs. Works for me :)
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. I find it interesting to see how sodium, lifting, hormones etc impact on my weight!

But great graph OP!
  • lollipoprincess
    lollipoprincess Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I weigh every time I go in the bathroom lol, only add it to MFP on Wednesdays though.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, it doesn't make me obsessy, I think it would actually be weirder to ignore the scale that's sitting in the bathroom! You definitely see the ups and downs, but for a good laugh, you should read this thread :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1275029-weighing-daily-secrets-i-ve-discovered
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. I like getting to know my body, which activities and foods can cause the ups and downs, etc. I actually tried weighing weekly, but it didn't keep me accountable enough. I could "cheat" and think, that's OK, I've got another 5 days until weigh-in day, I can make up for it by then, etc.

I started using the app "Happy Scale", which works best with daily weigh ins. It uses your daily data to estimate your actual weight, so you can see trends over time and not get hung up on the daily ups and downs. Works for me :)

I use WeightTrend -- it does the same thing. It's nice to see that my trend weight is always going down (since starting MFP) even though my daily weight fluctuates.

I also just heard that something like 80% of people who have lost 100 lbs or more and kept it off weigh everyday. Apparently it's a good habit to be in for maintaining a healthy weight. I have to say, when using an app that calculates a moving average, it makes a ton of sense. If my daily weight goes up, I can chalk it up to fluctuations. But if my trend weight goes up, I know that there's something wrong.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day too. I've learned my body fluctuation trends and can usually estimate when the ups and downs will occur. I know how my body responds after a strenuous workout, or when I eat too much sodium, or when I eat at maintenance for a week. Since I have learned this, I know it's pointless to freak out. I use a daily tracker that shows me the downward trend over time, much like the OP's chart.
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options

For people who wants to know more about their body and how different foods sources affects their weight in a day - to - day basis weighing is the way to go, for some it'll be daunting at times, with me I find that weighing everyday in a specific time ( upon waking & toilet) makes for an accurate assesment. You still have to average say the 7 days weight to see the average fatloss/musclegain. After 4 months of doing it, I now have a basis on how much a number of calorie intake affects my weight, so for example if i did an epic cheatday i know my weight will go up from 2-5 lbs. so there is no need to panic, for people who doesnt know, 5 lbs of weight gain can discouraged them and even question their resolve " why am I not losing weight, my only at 1200 calories" . So the question is, is it necessary to weigh everyday.... NO.... can you go on about just weighing once a week, once a month... YES..... now im back to weekly weigh ins for convenience purposes.
  • kaz321123
    kaz321123 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree..with myself...sometimes.