I am starving

Options
I'm eating healthy stuff and I'm still starving.

Today I've had -

Muesli (35g) with low fat yogurt (95g) and berries.
2 Brazil nuts
Spinach soup and mushrooms on wholegrain seeded bread
Half a slice of peanut butter toast.

I've only got 450 calories left for the day, and I could eat my dinner already..

Any tips??

Thanks x

Replies

• ziggythecat
    ziggythecat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    drink a bunch of water.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    What's your daily goal? If you've got yourself set for 1200 calories, it just might not be right for you. I would be okay a few days and then every now and then I would get SOOOO hungry I would pig out on whatever I could and totally ruin it.

I recommend losing no more than 1 pound a week. I don't feel anywhere near as hungry anymore and losing weight is actually... fun.
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    What is your daily calorie goal? Maybe it's too low! You can actually sabotage your weight loss if you don't take in enough fuel.

Drink tons of water, too. If you like hot tea, that helps me -- the warmth seems to fool my tummy. =)
  • teracallaway1
    teracallaway1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i start my day with a 3 egg white hame and cheese omlete and a piece of toast. it is about 300 calories total and keeps me full. of coarse you could skip the toast and have a bigger omlete
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water. Try to eat plenty of protein, especially early in the day - it takes longer to digest and will keep you full longer! There's a good reason eggs are such a popular breakfast. (The food list you posted doesn't look particularly full of protein...) As far as today goes, try getting a workout in and then you will have more calories to play with - it's usually better not to try to skip a meal (lunch or whatever) just to stick to your calorie goal because then you end up being more likely to overdo it later. If you have to, go a little over today - it won't be a big deal in the long run... just learn from your mistakes and make tomorrow a better day!
  • InIt2WinIt
    Options
    Hi Pinecone,

I remember when I first started my "lifestyle change" I experienced the same thing. I always found that people told me to fill up on water, but it seems that water makes me hungrier. So I just started filling up on veggies when I got hungry, I would eat a whole bowl of canned green beans no salt, or a bag of steamed veggies as they don't really count regarding calories, those are really free calories in most diet plans.

How many calories are you alloted per day?
  • Kate_2011
    Options
    Gum helps me. :)
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Where is the protein and greens? They will be much more filling then carbs and fats.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you allowing yourself a day? Are you exercising as well?
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hi Pinecone,

I remember when I first started my "lifestyle change" I experienced the same thing. I always found that people told me to fill up on water, but it seems that water makes me hungrier. So I just started filling up on veggies when I got hungry, I would eat a whole bowl of canned green beans no salt, or a bag of steamed veggies as they don't really count regarding calories, those are really free calories in most diet plans.

How many calories are you alloted per day?

Canned green beans generally are packed full of salt to preserve them. Veggies do have calories, but they are small. If you eat 1/2 of green beans is generally 22 calories. It can certainly add up depending on your bowl size.

If you have 100 calories left, veggies is an awesome way to feel full, as opposed to eating 2 crackers for example.

Water and tea also make me way hungrier for some reason.
  • jloden
    jloden Posts: 1
    Options
    hey pinecone,
    i'm guessing you just started your revised diet, yes? when i revised my diet to lose weight, i was starving for the first week. couple of things:

1) as recommended below, drink lots of water
    2) keep rabbit food around: carrots, celery, cauliflower. while that won't fill your tummy, you'll be eating w/o adding tons of calories & it feeeeels satisfying having something in your mouth (i chewed a lot of gum, too). the steamed veggie idea posted is great, too.
    3) finally, tough it out. you can do it. if it was easy, everyone would be doing it...

this is an awesome website. hopefully these forums help you. just keep your head in the game & eyes on the prize. you CAN do it, i promise. good luck!
  • millermichellelea
    Options
    I'm eating healthy stuff and I'm still starving.

Today I've had -

Muesli (35g) with low fat yogurt (95g) and berries.
    2 Brazil nuts
    Spinach soup and mushrooms on wholegrain seeded bread
    Half a slice of peanut butter toast.

I've only got 450 calories left for the day, and I could eat my dinner already..

Any tips??

Thanks x

Sounds like a lot of carbs so far. Drop some of the bread and eat something like a chicken breast [boneless, skinless of course] and a half a small red baked potato. It will get you around 160 calories if you skip the toppings on the potato. This will make you so full! Or try using a cup of a sweet potato with splenda and some albacore tuna. Throw in a side salad with balsalmic vinegar for another 50 calories. You will feel full and not rack up the calories. :smile:

This is what I do and it works amazing!!!!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I don't see ANY protein. The spinach soup isn't going to have enough. If you're starving, then eat.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    The simple carbs make me hungry. The whole grains, proteins fill me up for longer. I have to exercise off some extra calories to eat or I don't do well. The longer you do it, the easier it gets.
  • 1983Miller
    1983Miller Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am a foodie too, could always eat, but some of my best fill me up choices are oatmeal, Kashi Berry Crunch, it is a new cereal out there and Athenos Greek yogurt with honey (does have a lot of sugar, but the greek yogurt pair with honey feels like an ice cream treat to me and keeps me happy for quite a while. I also keep a ready supply of raw carrots and celery to feel full between meals and they are friendly on the calorie counts for the day.
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    If I notice I'm starting to get hungry and only have enough calories for dinner, try to set aside 20mins(or more) to go out walking or get on the Elliptical(burns 2x the calories as a treadmill) this will allow you to eat a snack and still have more calories to use for later. (20mins Elliptical = 259cal burned)
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    BTW, you dod good with the nuts and peanut butter. So eat a big green salad and uncanned fruits (with low cal dressing) so you can fill up!
  • What's your daily goal? If you've got yourself set for 1200 calories, it just might not be right for you. I would be okay a few days and then every now and then I would get SOOOO hungry I would pig out on whatever I could and totally ruin it.

I recommend losing no more than 1 pound a week. I don't feel anywhere near as hungry anymore and losing weight is actually... fun.

Same thing happened with me, I set my calorie goal lower then it should of been and I would be fine for a while but I would get pretty hungry after a while. I put it back to what it should be and I feel much better and lost 7lbs since my last weigh in.
  • pinecone
    pinecone Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm very into herbal tea, but it doesn't really help fill me up. Being vegetarian, the only sources of good protein available are fake or eggs. Legumes are awesome too and I do include them in my diet, but they are quite starchy too. I have lots of dairy. I'll have eggs sometimes at supper, but I never fancy them in the morning, and I love oat based things.

Atm I'm allowing myself 1200 calories a day - I'm trying to lose the last 14lbs and otherwise I'd lose less than a pound a week. I'm getting back into exercise after christmas soon, but I'm not at home so have no gym access and it's so cold.. I'll go for a jog tomorrow. Maybe I'll just have to exercise daily in order to get my extra 150 or so calories in, but isn't daily cardio bad too???
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I'm very into herbal tea, but it doesn't really help fill me up. Being vegetarian, the only sources of good protein available are fake or eggs. Legumes are awesome too and I do include them in my diet, but they are quite starchy too.

Starchy does not equal bad for you - don't be afraid to eat starchier veggies, as long as you're keeping your overall calories within a good rage. Beans are EXCELLENT for you - lots of fiber and protein - double whammy! Lentils are particularly great for protein!

There are plenty of good vegetarian protein sources - I encourage you to try to increase your protein... you just need to do a little research! Nutritional Yeast is a great vegetarian food that can add protein - it can be added to sauces, sprinkled on popcorn - lots of uses. Also, Seitan is a GREAT protein made from wheat gluten - here's the recipe I use: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=606572

Those are just a couple ideas...