Kale.....any great recipes anybody!

Options
Becre8tive
Becre8tive Posts: 108 Member
I bought Kale today since I always wanted to try it. Any good recipes ideas anybody?

Thank you!

Replies

• DuneKidd1969
    DuneKidd1969 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Kale is a really nutritious green leaf vegi and a good source of roughage.

I mainly use it in soups and stews which allows me to incorporate it into more flavorful combinations.

The three basic types of readily available Kale are Curly, Lacinato ( aka Black or Dino Kale) and Red (aka Red Russian) kale.

Google "Recipes for Kale" and you be presented with a plethora of recipes covering all ranges and styles of cooking.

Happy cooking!
  • Becre8tive
    Becre8tive Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your friendly reply! Asking Google..that's just genius..thank you!

Now on a serious note: I looked for Kale recipes...and found some recipes myself. I guess we all are able to use Google!

However I was wondering if somebody has a special healthy recipe, something unusual. Although I don't trust all recipes reviews :-)
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Stir fry with garlic in olive oil. When almost done add a few slugs of oyster sauce and stir. Top with toasted sliced almonds. Works with pretty much any leafy green. Gives a great meaty flavor.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    At a gourmet food store near me they make a kale salad of:
    Kale
    Chopped pineapple
    Shredded carrots
    Slivered almonds
    Lemon vinegrette

I really love it and have it several times a week. I should just make it myself.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I put one or two leaves in when I make smoothies or a salad. I'm lazy like that, and I don't like wilted greens. I've made the kale chips, but they are bitter.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Kale and mango salad - sounds weird but really tasty
    Kale plus butternut squash pasta - you can add sausage too if you like.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    My brother put leafs of kale in the oven with olive oil and whatever his mood for a seasoning is for about 5 to 10 mins at about 325. The intial taste can be decent to good, but honestly the after taste can really last.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The words ' Kale' and 'great recipes' is an oxymoron
  • heroeslegend
    heroeslegend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Kale chips. Shred and bake. Season with salt and sugar, if desired. They really good!
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    I have it in a salad topped with sweet corn, diced carrots, cranberries and sunflower seeds with a zesty balsamic vinaigrette dressing !! Delicious but eat it soon after you get it. It tends to get an unpleasant odor after it hangs around for days !
  • Jamr8231
    Jamr8231 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Steam it, and then stir fry with one or two anchovies, lots of garlic and chickpeas. Delicious!
  • macklo
    macklo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I bought Kale as well LOl I like to wash it (of course) and trim it.. I use it instead of lettuce in all my salads.. throw a few craisens in and some lowfat poppysed dressing ..any veggies you have and its delish.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I love crispy kale chips. A great substitute for potato chips.

Directions

Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a non insulated cookie sheet with parchment paper.
    With a knife or kitchen shears carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale with a salad spinner. Drizzle kale with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt.
    Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, 10 to 15 minutes
  • doodlecakes_07
    doodlecakes_07 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I sautee it in coconut oil, garlic, and red onion, and then add sweet potato, zucchini, squash, red peppers, tomato, drizzle balsamic vinegar over it, and let it cook down. SO GOOD (salt and pepper too, of course! and sometimes i add italian herbs)
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I posted this recipe a couple days ago. It would work great with kale instead of beet greens. The boyfriend and I both really enjoyed it!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1272421-beef-and-beet-greens-stew