I hate exercise!

Options
kikityme
kikityme Posts: 472 Member
So I have now tried everything at the gym for a week.

The ONLY thing I like doing is walking on the treadmill. Fast, but not super fast. Usually I do 20min at level 3, 30 mins at 3.5 and the last 10 at 3.

I feel guilty when I get the joggers beside me, like I'm not REALLY exercising and maybe I should just bring my makeup and start putting it on and be one of those people people make fun of on here.

Is walking a viable exercise? I've tried the C25k and it hurts my knees for 3 days after.

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Walking is fine and there is no need to go to the gym for it either, just walk around. If you walk 30 minutes per day, it is perfect.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    First, nobody who doesn't exercise likes exercise. You won't start to enjoy exercising until sometime after you start exercising. So keep an open mind. Down the road you may find different forms of exercise that you truly enjoy, but none of it will happen until after you give it a decent try.

Second, walking is exercise. It's good exercise. It's REAL exercise. It's not the most intense form of exercise by a long shot, but it is definitely exercise.

I try to do strength training every morning, walking throughout the day, and cycling in the evenings. I'm most consistent with walking because I can fit it in anywhere. And on a good day I can burn over 1,000 calories with walking alone.

If the weather permits where you're at, I'd suggest taking your walks outside. It's more interesting walking outside, running away from neighborhood dogs, dodging goose poop, etc.
  • kinmoratree
    kinmoratree Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It takes a while, but you will get to where you miss it if you can't do it for some reason.

Walking is a perfect exercise. I would also echo the people who say to get outside and do it. Fresh air and changing scenery are much better for your psyche than staring at a TV or the wall or whatever.

I would also suggest slowly working up to an hour a day. Once you're there, I'll bet you'll find other things at the gym that interest you enough to give them another try.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    So I have now tried everything at the gym for a week.

The ONLY thing I like doing is walking on the treadmill. Fast, but not super fast. Usually I do 20min at level 3, 30 mins at 3.5 and the last 10 at 3.

I feel guilty when I get the joggers beside me, like I'm not REALLY exercising and maybe I should just bring my makeup and start putting it on and be one of those people people make fun of on here.

Is walking a viable exercise? I've tried the C25k and it hurts my knees for 3 days after.

I think walking's great for exercise!

Which classes did you try?
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Walking is fine. Will it give you a fitness model body? No. Is it good for your health? Yes. Will it make you lose weight? Only if it is in combination with a calorie deficit.

Your end product will be a result of your methods. Good luck.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    First, nobody who doesn't exercise likes exercise. You won't start to enjoy exercising until sometime after you start exercising. So keep an open mind. Down the road you may find different forms of exercise that you truly enjoy, but none of it will happen until after you give it a decent try.

Second, walking is exercise. It's good exercise. It's REAL exercise. It's not the most intense form of exercise by a long shot, but it is definitely exercise.

I try to do strength training every morning, walking throughout the day, and cycling in the evenings. I'm most consistent with walking because I can fit it in anywhere. And on a good day I can burn over 1,000 calories with walking alone.

If the weather permits where you're at, I'd suggest taking your walks outside. It's more interesting walking outside, running away from neighborhood dogs, dodging goose poop, etc.

lol! I don't enjoy exercising until after its finished! :laugh:

Been consistently exercising since last November. Still do not enjoy it and have to force myself to do it. lol

Maybe when I start lifting Ill fall in love like a lot of people have on here. :smile:

Still waiting to enjoy it though. I'm hoping one day I will. :happy:
  • Pascal56
    Pascal56 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I used to think I hated exercise too. It turns out that I really just hate the cardio machines. I really like Zumba and strength training, so that's what I do for exercise, along with walking on the beach in the mornings for about 30 minutes (although truthfully that is more mental than anything--I don't try to walk fast).

Anyway, my point is that you should try different types of exercise because there may be some out there that you enjoy, whether that is classes at the gym, sports, swimming, weight lifting, etc.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    There are no classes at my gym (it's the Canadian version of planet fitness)

I gave each major cardio machine a week, and I hated them all. I like the weight machines and I always throw them in there. It's just the cardio I feel guilty about. Maybe it's my 80s mentality, but if it isn't all "let's get physical" kind of jumping around I don't feel like it's effective.
  • heather112588
    heather112588 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel you...I hate exercise but I want to be healthy (and my family has a history of diabetes, etc). My husband is a fitness buff and though he never rubs it in, it makes me feel guilty sometimes. The only exercises that I've ever enjoyed in truth was walking and swimming laps (bc its more mental- just zone out with your thoughts). Does your gym have a pool? you could try swimming to mix it up.
  • Kep2005
    Kep2005 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I never cared for exercise either. I signed up for a gym once and the membership just went to waste because I only used it 3 times. I tried a few videos but very quickly got bored with the same old routine every time I worked out. When I joined OrangeTheory Fitness, it completely changed my mentality about working out. I love the classes because they take the guess work out of it for you (like videos do) but it's always a different routine. 60 minutes of high intensity cardio & weights that uses a heart rate monitor so you can really get a good feel for how you're doing. I LOVE my classes and really look forward to the days I workout.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    WHAT?! It gives you MAD endorphins, even if you're dying at the end of your session lol.
    How could anyone hate it? :tongue:

Only thing I can say that I hate is DOMS, but other than that.. NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE. Love my exercise lol.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    If you hate cardio than don't do it. That could be why you "hate" exercising because you're doing something that you feel you have to do even though you don't like it.

If you like lifting weights then do that. If you do what you like the chances of you sticking with exercise and eventually enjoying it is greater.
  • epigirrl
    epigirrl Posts: 54 Member
    Options

From personal experience...I totally agree with this.

I have always [thought I] hated exercise, too. Turns out it was because I had not found the right thing for me until this past fall, and I will be turning 50 in less than 2 weeks. I still generally hate cardio. I don't run, bike, aerobics, etc. But I found that I LOVE kettlebells and doing interval training with kettlebells. There is certainly an element of cardio. My heart rate gets up, I sweat, and I feel blissfully exhausted after I am done. It is probably key that I have an awesome teacher and classmates. But...it took a bit of exploration and early commitment (i.e., more than one class or one week) to find this.

Also, as Jim notes above...it takes time to get into it. When I first started...it kicked my *kitten*. I could not make it through most of the sets. I got nauseated, light headed, and felt like the most out of shape failure ever. But...I kept going back, kept trying each activity, and did what I could without dieing. And you know what...after a couple months, there were a lot of things I used to hate or I simply could not do that I now view as challenges to be overcome.

When I started I could not do a 30-second plank. In March, I did a 30-day plank challenge and achieved a personal best 5-minute continuous forearm plank. When I started I could not do a single pushup, NONE, NADA, NOTHING. I can now do 40 continuous unmodified pushups. When I started I used 18 pound kettlebells, had terrible form, and could really only do swings. I now use 12 KG (26 lbs) and 14 KG (31 lbs) bells. And, I can do a full hour that starts with a 4-minute plank and 200 swings, as well as multiple reps and sets of cleans, double cleans, snatches, presses, lunges, squats, rows, deadlifts with the bells...all intermingled with pushups, burpees, ab roller, v-ups, jump rope, mountain climbers, etc.

There are still certain activities/exercises that I hate...but having found a great teacher/class that I love and having good workout partners/classmates to cheer me through the things I still hate, and group acknowledgment of the incremental progress has been key for me.

I see from your recent post that you don't have classes at your gym. Is it possible to find a workout buddy or a class in another venue? For me...the social support and accountability is a really important ingredient.
  • verhunzt
    verhunzt Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Even though I regularily go running, when I'm not feelin it I also just go for a walk. There's nothing wrong with that and I still feel super accomplished afterwards, I don't see why you shouldn't. You are moving your body, and especially when your body isn't used to it you will HATE exercise. I am not even overweight anymore and I still don't like it very much, I just do it to stay fit.
    If you go for walks and even enjoy it - hurray to you! You are on the best way to maybe even enjoy a little run from time to time.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Have you tried swimming for cardio? Also walking is fine it took me 5 weeks of walking to say "Hey! I think I wanna jog!" Here in week 6 I can only run about 6 mins split into 2 min spurts. Today I'm trying for 8.

You said you like walking on the treadmill, and you liked the weight machines. That's good enough for balanced workout. It wouldn't hurt to swim, and learn some core training with the balancing balls though.
  • LyniaDixon
    LyniaDixon Posts: 3
    Options
    I hate exercising also so what I do now is get out and walk. I make it my business to walk a certain amount of blocks and I live in NYC so every 20 blocks = 1 mile. I also joined a Zumba class ..I like to dance and listen to music so this is fun to me and I'm also burning calories
  • Sharon468
    Sharon468 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You don't "hate exercise." You hate *most of the exercises you've tried*. Big difference.

I'm not a gym person and I'm not an exercise class person. I love walking outside. I have a walking buddy at work and we brisk walk at lunchtime. It's great to get out into the fresh air and have a chat while we walk. I also walk either before or after work myself. If I need some motivation, I listen to music while I walk. I've got a playlist of fast-beat songs and also a Pandora station with fast-beat songs that get me moving in a hurry even when I'n initially not in the mood to go out.

But that's me. What you need to do is try different things -- and try them for a few weeks, not just a few days, before you decide if you do or don't like something. If you truly don't like it, then try something else.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I feel you...I hate exercise but I want to be healthy (and my family has a history of diabetes, etc). My husband is a fitness buff and though he never rubs it in, it makes me feel guilty sometimes. The only exercises that I've ever enjoyed in truth was walking and swimming laps (bc its more mental- just zone out with your thoughts). Does your gym have a pool? you could try swimming to mix it up.

In other words you found that exercise you connect with. It lets you go to that place where you can be free and zone out and think about things like that person who did you wrong the other day and how in the past you may have taken that and just sunk into a depression but now you have found that outlet. That way to fight back.

walking is for old lady's. Are you trying to become a bulging beast or are you trying to increase your capacity to keep up with the old lady's in the grocery store? Find the exercise you can connect with. And then put your game face on and understand that this is about far more than just the many physical health benefits exercise offers. This is about taking all the crap life throws at you and using it to build something strong enough to withstand it.

Find something that doesn't bother your knees as much. But understand, aches and pains come with the territory. I have aches and pains 24/7 from training. I have a buddy who says those aches and pains are " what awesome feels like " and you know what, he's right! Stuck on a couch with the aches and pains the sedentary life will cause, those are the kinds of aches and pains I don't want. So I live in a state of constant awesomeness and I can live with that.
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I don't hate all forms of exercise but I do hate a lot of them. Weight training is something I hate but I've done it fairly consistently for over 30 years because I like the benefits. That's life....it ain't all fun.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I honestly hate cardio machines too. I feel like a mouse in it's little wheel, arg. If you enjoy walking, great, it is exercise and if you're not just strolling leisurely it can get your heart rate up. Find something you like and stick to it.

I walk a lot outside, and eventually I decided to start running because a friend of mine was running a 5k and asked me to join her. Now my runs are training for a specific goal so that gives me motivation, even if it isn't always fun.