Pear shaped and slightly frustrated

Options
I'm a 5'1 girl who is 180 lbs and measures 44" around the hips. I used to fit into size 4 jeans a year ago and I'm scared it will never be that way again because my hip bones have grown to never allow me to be that small again. Is that possible? To have gained weight and increased the span of my hips too? Please reply

Replies

• horrorfan
    horrorfan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The way your skeletal system is set up only changes with internal complications. For example, you could get a few inches taller if you have scoliosis and get correctional surgery. I've never heard of someone's hips just getting wider. It could just be that when you put on pounds, a lot went to your hips, making them look expanded and a lot bigger. And girls with wide hips can wear the same sizes as girls with narrow hips, they'll just have wider hips in those sizes.

I'm the same way. I have so much weight in my thighs but when I weighed around 150, my hips "narrowed" in
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I've had two kids and lost 53 lbs and I'm smaller than I was back in high school. I'm 5'3.5" and I was 125 lbs a size 5 in high school. I'm now 116 lbs and a size 0/1. I'm no doctor but I think with a moderate deficit, some strength training, and patience you'll be pleased with the results. :flowerforyou:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with being pear-shaped! I have a 30.5" waist and 47" hips. Makes buying jeans a bit of a bear, but there's tailoring.

If you get to a normal body fat level, your hips may normalize somewhat, but if your genetic makeup dictates that you store your fat in your hips, you will be a pear. Maybe a small pear, but still a pear. And that's just fine.
  • mkatc87
    mkatc87 Posts: 6
    Options
    This! My hips are large compared to my waist. My waist is 25 and my hips are almost 40. No matter how much weight I lose, I'll always have a booty. Lol
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    This! My hips are large compared to my waist. My waist is 25 and my hips are almost 40. No matter how much weight I lose, I'll always have a booty. Lol
    Oh yeah, of course I'm overweight at the moment, but even when I was in the normal weight range, those ^ were my measurements too.
  • sarinapx97
    sarinapx97 Posts: 3
    Options
    thanks i appreciate it! gives me hope that i may one day get back into those pants (:
  • sarinapx97
    sarinapx97 Posts: 3
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations, that's amazing! Thanks so much. I just joined myfitnesspal and I love the community for having such a positive attitude.
  • mshull
    mshull Posts: 48
    Options
    I understand your frustration completely. I am 5'2" and weigh 164 My hips measure 42.5. Matter of fact my bottom is so round I have had total strangers comment on it. It really gets me down although people say it is a compliment. But no matter what I do still have hips and butt.
  • LaurenDanielle014
    LaurenDanielle014 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am pear shaped and at my largest weighed 185 Lbs ( I am 5'7 ). I have lost 29 Lbs and the fat on my hips is starting to finally disappear. my hips are wide but there is hope if mine have gotten smaller yours will to. stick with it!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    No your hip bones haven't changed, if you lose weight you will lose inches everywhere
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i think it depends if you have stopped growing or not. i was always small and had no hips at all till i was around 21 or so ( around 30 inches). Then poof, my hips started to spread ( went to 32 /33 inches). i was still the same weight but my hips spread a few inches. Then they stayed that way for years until i had my son ( went to 36 inches during my pregnancy). at my highest weight my hips went to 44 inches and now bouncing between 115-120 lbs my hips are 36, i can't seem to get any lower.... ( i am 5.2 ft)