Vegetables? Eww Yuk

Options

Replies

• PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    IMHO, your list isn't that long. There are a zillion more veggies and fruits to choose from!
  • kittykat1994
    kittykat1994 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I hate to be that person, but have you tried any of those roasted, marinated, caramelized? The difference in taste is amazing.

I'm the same as the OP. I'm picky with veg although I'm a poor cook and have no idea where to start with roasting, marinating and caramelising food. Would love to give it a go though.
  • dancestamp
    dancestamp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a very picky eater, so I am glad to hear there are others out there who don't like their veggies either, I do like some and have learned to like more as long as they are chopped up very finely and not raw but sautéed or cooked.

cucumber
    celery
    lettuce - preferably romaine
    spinach in all forms
    spaghetti squash
    yellow squash
    zucchini
    baked cauliflower only not raw
    carrots
    potatoes
    sweet potato chips baked
    tomaotes as long as they are chopped up
    yellow onion chopped up
    bell pepper not really but if I chop them fine I can eat them in something
    green beans

do not like any other beans
    hate peas
    broccoli if it is covered in cheese but I just don't really like broccoli
    don't like eggplant
    there may be other veggies I have tried and like, but I can't remember right now

I love fruit, I don't like pears of any sorts much at all and honeydew melon not a big fan of but if chopped up in a fruit salad will eat.

whatever you like to eat, make it work for you.

I have tried kale in a smoothie and didn't taste it so I drank it, it wasn't bad. so it can be made so you won't know. just cook what you like and eat that, it is your lifestyle diet not anyone else's.

good luck.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I hate to be that person, but have you tried any of those roasted, marinated, caramelized? The difference in taste is amazing.

I'm the same as the OP. I'm picky with veg although I'm a poor cook and have no idea where to start with roasting, marinating and caramelising food. Would love to give it a go though.
    I can help with the roasting:

Place on cookie sheet, dribble a bit of olive oil on top, salt and pepper and slip into the oven (or broiler). In the broiler, you only need a few minutes and time depends on how thick or thin your veggies are. At 350, you probably want to roast them about a half hour (again, the size matters or you can either burn or undercook). You can sprinkle some parmesan on top, too, if you'd like -- or anything, really.

Marinating would depend a lot on personal taste. Look up some recipes and experiment!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Plain raw tomatoes....but I can deal with diced in can, or fresh in pica de gallo...but raw by themselves are nasty.
    Fennel...but I hate licorice too, so understandable.
    Not big on spaghetti squash...texture thing.

My taste buds have changed since quiting smoking over a year ago, so slowly going back through foods that I -thought- I hated. But, I have learned that many of them I have fallen in love with now.
  • kittykat1994
    kittykat1994 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

I can help with the roasting:

Place on cookie sheet, dribble a bit of olive oil on top, salt and pepper and slip into the oven (or broiler). In the broiler, you only need a few minutes and time depends on how thick or thin your veggies are. At 350, you probably want to roast them about a half hour (again, the size matters or you can either burn or undercook). You can sprinkle some parmesan on top, too, if you'd like -- or anything, really.

Marinating would depend a lot on personal taste. Look up some recipes and experiment!

Thank you! :)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Good, more veggies for me :)
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Salads... I just can't seem to get on board with salads. I prefer my 'veggies' hot and cooked.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    The only veggies I won't eat (or at least try, at this point) are raw tomatoes and green/black olives.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

The really awesome news is that great veggie prep can be done by poor cooks-I know, because I am one. :happy: Because tastes are different, the best bet is to google veggie marinades with specific veggies you are thinking about trying. Last week I had snow peas and onions marinated and roasted in peanut oil, sesame oil, rice vinegar, water, and a soy sauce substitute. I think I sprinkled some garlic in too. This week I'm going to marinate some radishes and carrots in coconut oil and a bit of cinnamon and sweetener and then roast. I'll also make a pan of roasted asparagus, probably in a butter and lemon juice marinade.

It's completely not necessary, but I found that a blender bottle (for protein shakes) made marinating really easy. Put the marinade ingredients in, shake, add the veggies, shake well, let sit for however long, shake again, transfer to pan.
  • Vincisomethng
    Vincisomethng Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My yes list (although from my biology studies mindset, some of these are technically fruits):

- spinach
    - kale
    - celery
    - lettuce
    - carrots
    - cucumbers
    - avocado (I used to hate these)
    - cooked broccoli
    - beans (any)
    - potatoes (any, especially sweet)
    - squash
    - zucchini
    - onions
    - corn
    - round, large, or on the vine tomatoes (but only when they're sliced and part of something like pizza or a sandwich)
    - eggplant
    - cabbage
    - micro greens
    - peas
    - edamame
    - bok choy
    - radishes
    - beats
    - black olives

My ABSOLUTELY NOT list:
    - cold/uncooked broccoli
    - cauliflower
    - Parsley (they taste like what I imagine the smell of stink bugs to taste like)
    - cherry tomatoes- actually any kind of small tomatoes.
    - mushroom (unless it's those kinds they have on pizza)
    - string beans

My meh list. These aren't exactly favorable, but I can eat them:

- bell peppers (some years ago, these would've been on my absolutely not list and I prefer green over red and red over yellow).
    - cilantro (same with these)
    - bitter tasting olives

I'm more picky about fruits than I am vegetables. I have sensory processing disorder, so fruits have to be a certain texture for me to eat them. They can't be even slightly softer or squishier than they originally were. Usually when I want to get fruits in my body, smoothies are my go-to.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Hahaha. Kale in a smoothie. Spat it out , quit that ****. Though I think I will give it a shot again actually looking up recipes this time :smile: The OP's do not like list is very long, but it appears she likes and eats way more veg than I do!!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I LOVE vegetables! Everything but okra, and cooked tomatoes ( I love tomatoes if they are homegrown heirloom varietals and raw)..

My Eww Yuck list;

protein powder, whey powder, any "powder" pretending to be food.
    Mac and cheese (Gaaah!)
    Mexican cuisine
    quest type bars
    milk!!
    nearly all chips, cheetos, doritos, nachos, that dry crunchy cardboardy stuff.
    Tomato sauce, ketchup, tomato paste ( Gaaah!)
    rice cakes ( *kitten* child of styrofoam and cardboard)
    All fish except salmon. Canned tuna is NASTY.
    Juice of any sort, except for mango nectar, preferably Egyptian ( the best).
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    You have plenty on your yes list and plenty not listed at all. Buy a bit of things you haven't tried, you may add to your list.

The secret to "hiding" kale and spinach in smoothies is to add them to sweet smoothies :wink:

This is a good one (I hate avocado but this works for me)

half an avocado
    half a banana
    about 1/8 of a pineapple
    lime juice - 1-2 tblsp
    about 30 grams kale
    fresh parsley (optional I never use it)
    1/2 cup coconut water
    I threw some hemp seeds in yesterday but also optional

if it's too thick add a bit of water or a bit more coconut water
  • GrasslandFairy
    Options
    Yes Veggies:
    Broccoli, Green Beans, Spinach, Cauliflower, Mushrooms, Zucchini, Lettuce, Peppers, Onions, Okra, Potatoes, Carrots (cooked only), probably others that I can't think of.

NOPE veggies: Peas, Celery, Water Chestnut, Corn, Cabbage, Saurkraut (who knew you could make cabbage worse)
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Like I tell my kids, "You don't have to like it, you just have to eat it."

Or not... it's your health.

That's actually not a good mentality to have. But I won't get into why as I don't want to hijack a thread. However, I will say, if you don't like something... don't eat it. Whatever health benefits it has can be found in other foods, I assure you.

I cannot stand avocado on its own.
    I will not eat cilantro if I can taste it. When I can't (such as on some of Panera's sandwiches) it's fine. However, at the first slightest HINT of a taste of cilantro, I stop eating.
    Lime. *gags*
    Pork. I will eat sausage sometimes, and I'll eat hot dogs with pork. But for the most part, pork is a no go.
    Most Mexican food. I had a friend say to me "You've just never had authentic Mexican food". To which I typed "LOL my in-laws are Mexican. Trust me. I have."
    Frozen spinach. Yuck.
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I don't like most vegetables either :(
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I think your error is in expecting to like them. You have been allowed to think (by your parents, I guess) that liking a food is relevant.

it's an error borne of not having any famines when they were growing up to teach them that having food at all is a bonus, and liking it is completely off the charts super double bonus.

When we raise children to eat a food, we offer it 10 times. At the 10th time the child will have started to get used to the mouth feel, gotten over any 'ick' reactions he might have had, (ick reactions are psychological and happen to teenaged girls who are developing affectations in an attempt to look 'cute', also. They are not physiological and they are not relevant to survival. They are only able to survive in an environment where survival itself is already guaranteed.)

So anyway, choose the vegetables you DO like, write a list of them, and every week buy one more vegetable, and try it ten times. I don't mean that silly 'teeniest bite with the tips of the teeth' gobshyte I've seen teenagers do. I mean chuck a whole mouthful in, think of England and eat it as fast as you can, and swallow it.

you do that ten times and by the 10th time you will have worked out all of your difficulties and gotten over your dislike. Remember: it's 100% psychological and your parents let you get away with that. Or, to put it another way, you were spoiled. If you can 'unspoil' yourself by the time you have children you can save them from your problem, which is that having limited yourself in terms of what food you will eat, you've cut out all the non-fattening ones and are left only with the fattening ones.

Sorry, but this is not true. I hate fish. My parents made me eat it way more than ten times. I wasn't allowed to get up from the table till it was gone. I wasn't allowed to complain about it. I even got spanked if I took too long to eat it. I still hate fish. I hate the way it smells. I hate the way it tastes. I hate the way it feels. I hate the fact that it swims in and breathes its own feces. Could I eat it if I was going to die if I didn't, I suppose so, but until then (and probably even then) it makes me physically gag!
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    OP - You have a great list of veggies that you do like and you have obviously tried many others. There are definitely some veggies I would prefer in a soup than by itself, but overall I like most of them and can tolerate the others. Keep trying new veggies (which you obviously do already), and enjoy the ones you do like. Who cares if you don't eat the same veggie as some one else. God made lots of options out there. Pick the ones you like. :happy: