being stuffed but eating only 800 calories

Options

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input. It's good to hear other peoples viewpoints

One thing I should clarify is that I'm a vegan so many of those options are dairy that definitely more calories but they aren't vegan.I don't want to go that route unless I must, Nuts/avacado's are expensive on a limited budget. I also would like to be mindful of the cheap oils that are high in omega 6 that hurts the omega 6/ 3 balance.

@Zeklea

I want to long term loose weight but my 'ultra low caloric intake' 800 calories when it should be 2200 calories has turned my body into a slug and I ended up plateauing at 191lbs @ 33%bf. I've been told to eat more at least a 1000 calories more and as will try and slowly work up to it. Getting fatter (literally) isn't helping anything but I guess I have to come to terms with 'teaching' my body that I'm not actually trying to starve it.. let go of the fat stores already!

Are you a vegan for ethical reasons? I know I'm going to get bashed on for saying this but as someone who is in recovery for EDs myself and who has been around a lot of other ED patients, I know a lot go vegan because it still allows them to pick and control their food a lot without seeming disordered. It's it's for ethical reasons, cool. If not, it's a good way to undereat without being honest with yourself.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    One of the remaining side effects that I have is screwed up hunger cues. I eat on scheduled intervals, or I would go all day without eating. I still struggle daily with this. It took me 2 full years to get to what most would consider "normal" for my caloric intake.

Here was my strategy:
    1) split my meals into 6 smaller ones. The goal here was to eat smaller meals more often. Not for any "metabolism boosting" BS, but because the smaller portions were easier for me to eat, without anxiety.

2) Add 100 calories each week to total goal. When you're eating small meals, it's pretty easy to add an extra 20 calories here and there without stress.

3) Calorie dense foods. If budget is an issue, I would recommend checking out Costco. I get a 5 pound bag of raw almonds there for $12.00. They last quite a while, and I consider them to be a great value. Vegan protein shakes, coconut oil, olive oil, peanut butter, cashew cheese, etc.

I wish you the best of luck.

**Edit to add: the bloat is totally normal. It's part psychological, but it still sucks. It gets better
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I know someone who was put on an antihistamine that increases appetite. Maybe you can talk to your doctor about this if you continue having trouble with upping your calories..
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    One definition of anorexia is the absence of appetite. So asking yourself if you're hungry is a bad idea.

One thing a girlfriend of mine did when she confronted her disorder, which was anorexia/bulimia, was that she ate a lot of acidophilus yoghurt to try to "reflorinate her gut" or something.

There are pills you can get from the pharmacy for when you have antibiotics which are totally destructive to your gut flora. Get those, and that may be a start.

As to not being able to pay for calories, you can always eat bread. there are many many ways to get the calories in the door that don't cost a lot of money and in fact are cheap as anything. What about throwing a PBJ in for morning tea and afternoon tea?
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Just had a wee look at your profile and it says you have anxiety. It's been recently hypothesied that starvation diets reduce panic attacks, and is widely known that anxiety reduces appetite.

If you have the ability to get medication or assistance for the anxiety disorder, I think that could be part of the solution. :)
  • SpiritBunny
    SpiritBunny Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    @Dragonwolf, I'm vegan because of a combinatino of moral and digestive reasons. When I consume dairy I get nausea & diarhhea and the moral part is I don't want to use animal products if I have the choice.

In terms of psychological aspects, my ED is somewhat in my past and it did 'work' but obviously my body suffered for it. I’m not that obsessive about my diet I'm more anxious about other things than just focus everything on what I eat (or how).

I'm seeing a therapist to see what are the things I need I have a lot of reactive processes I have to go through

I am nutrient deficient even if I was on a diet I wouldn't have enough to really feed myself vegan or not. I've found that it doesn't cost that much more that it would make a difference financially, I'll run out either way. My last trip for food with protien and being asked to try and eat twice as much calories makes things difficult.

I could be nutrient deficient, I've been gifted from a friend a supply of efa-3, Myo-inositol , magnesium which has been added to my primroseoil and a prenatal vitimins (a,c,d,e,b1,b2,niacin,b6,folic,b12,calcium,iron,zinc) that I take daily. This is to help with my symtoms of PCOS and Fibro.

How effective it is I will only comment that after taking efa I noticed changes in my hair (it was falling out) and my periods came back (very surprising with someone who has pcos). It's unclear what the inositol and magnesium will do anything. My hair is growing thicker but I hear that's from 3 months a

I will not easily give up being a vegan as I have strong feelings regarding the use and abuse of animals for consumption. I don't agree with the killing

@lilawolf, thanks for the suggestion because I'm vegan and dairy free that leaves me with avocado nuts, oils, wine and chocolate if there is no dairy in it. I will admit that I don't like the texture of avocado

@DavidPFJ, peanuts/butter like many nuts are higher in EFA6 which we eat too much of. It's a great source of protien ~16% and fat though.

@Kellyemotana, that's an excellent point but I only bring up my ED just to be open about what has happened. I'm vegan for the reason I mentioned but I do struggle and have ED tendency. I don't want to eat but I know I should so I do.

I've been a vegetarian since high school I only became vegan recently maybe a year ago.

I've tried to eat eggs (for the protien/calories) and it really upset my stomach. I didn't much like the smell for them.

@ giggitygo Thank you for your tips, I am not looking forward to up to 2 years of this I hope I don't gain back everything I lost in terms of fat. It was difficult to do it and it's even more so when fibro doesn't let you move around like a normal person could.
  • SpiritBunny
    Options
    @kpedersen3, antihistamine  haven't heard of that I'll have to read up on it.

@bridgie101 , I eat what I'm told but I get full really easily. I can't seem to digest protein but it could be something else like like lack of vitamins. I'll need to ask about that, but I really hope there is another form of protein that I can have that's vegan and not expensive.

Unfortunately yogart isn't vegan, and I’m also gluten intolerant so bread is out. And rice bread is stupidly expensive and very perishable and it also tastes like crap.

I've also recently been put on some anti anxiety type meds but its only been a week, it will take 2 weeks to really know if I am changing or not. I feel less anxious but the symptoms of the fibro/PCOS has a very strong hold in my life.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    DId you get the nausea before or after your eating disorder?

Restrictive eating can cause symptoms that mimic a lactose intolerance, but aren't really. And for people recovering from a restrictive eating disorder, milk is a godsend.

Trust me. Been there.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

I will not easily give up being a vegan as I have strong feelings regarding the use and abuse of animals for consumption. I don't agree with the killing

@lilawolf, thanks for the suggestion because I'm vegan and dairy free that leaves me with avocado nuts, oils, wine and chocolate if there is no dairy in it. I will admit that I don't like the texture of avocado

Sorry, I hadn't read through the whole post before I started suggesting non-vegan things. Out of curiosity, would you be willing to eat meat that you know was raised and killed humanely? I purchased a side of beef from a friend's family for just that reason. Pasture raised, fat and happy, instead of a feed lot. The jewish community has a lot of rules about how animals are handled, so maybe kosher meats? If it's just the fact that the animal was alive and now its dead, then never mind. That part is hard to avoid :-p.

Don't forget the dried fruits. Raisins, craisins, prunes, dried apricots, and dried dates(especially) are very nutrient and calorie dense. Dried fruit, nuts, and a vegan (pea or hemp perhaps) protein shake may get you most of where you need to go.
  • SpiritBunny
    Options
    @themisfit123,

As a teenager as a kid I discovered my intolerance to dairy years ago, but I still ate cheese because I liked it. Then after I stopped eating cheese, I realized I felt better.
  • SpiritBunny
    Options
    In my opinion there is no need to kill animals. period. I strongly believe that you can get the nutrients you need given today's level of technology for EFA's, it takes the foresight and the will and resources. Granted it's more expensive and not the 'same' in texture and taste but those are not necessary for a healthy lifestyle. I regard meat as dead animal.

People are so used to processed way of living that they only know they get food fro the big box store, and I try not to make those choices myself even in my personal situation because I feel it's the right thing to do.

To keep it short the animal no matter how nice their life was stops living by the use of someone's tool/machine. It's more disturbing that even when its mechanized halal or kosher slaughter, where they keep them alive to drain blood. I'm not sure why they think that any better than using an air impact gun to stun/kill a cow in the head.

Dried fruit is similar to fruit juices except they leave in the fibre so you at least get that. Dried fruits are a wonderful source of long term storage food although you could just eat whole fruit. They also typically add other things like preservatives and they are a very expensive which is another requirement I'd need.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Well,I've never been in your situation but : the body takes time in adapting to any such change,and you should let it..Increase your intake slowly,don't force yourself to change your eating habits on an immediate basis..
    And ofcourse,foods with more calorific density will help.Doesn't mean that you should stuff yourself with unhealthy fats though.
    I think drinking 2-3 glasses of whole milk can really help in increasing calories in healthy manner and it won't make you that full either.You can add sugars and whatever flavours you like!
    ^^ This ^^
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    In my opinion there is no need to kill animals. period. I strongly believe that you can get the nutrients you need given today's level of technology for EFA's, it takes the foresight and the will and resources. Granted it's more expensive and not the 'same' in texture and taste but those are not necessary for a healthy lifestyle. I regard meat as dead animal.

People are so used to processed way of living that they only know they get food fro the big box store, and I try not to make those choices myself even in my personal situation because I feel it's the right thing to do.

To keep it short the animal no matter how nice their life was stops living by the use of someone's tool/machine. It's more disturbing that even when its mechanized halal or kosher slaughter, where they keep them alive to drain blood. I'm not sure why they think that any better than using an air impact gun to stun/kill a cow in the head.

Dried fruit is similar to fruit juices except they leave in the fibre so you at least get that. Dried fruits are a wonderful source of long term storage food although you could just eat whole fruit. They also typically add other things like preservatives and they are a very expensive which is another requirement I'd need.

Well since you had to go there with your beliefs, I am happy to say that I eat wild meat that my family kills to keep the deer populations from dying of winter kill or things like chronic wasting diseases. Maybe you live in a city but I live somewhere where I am prey as well as predator. My role as prey helps me to understand the food chain very well. If wolves, bears and mountain lions were a real daily part of your life, you might see things differently. It's all about world view and I don't impose humanistic qualities upon wild animals. They eat each other. I watch it regularly. I don't have to buy it processed. I can shoot it with a gun and skin it and eat it myself.
  • SpiritBunny
    Options
    @Kellyemontana, in terms of an overall lifestyle I'm not against hunters or even nature lovers, that eat, prep and make there on kill. I do have issues when it's doesn't involve any skill (like putting a grenade into a lake to 'fish') however that doesn't belong on a weight loss board.

You've mentioned things that are definitely better than a the buy it from a box store and actually don't want to know about the processes and simply say "I like it" and I deserve it. At least understand what it's doing to the planet as well as what it does to your body.
  • MargaretSk
    MargaretSk Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree with Alice about the 1400 kcal a day and the excess fat not being too helpful. Maybe you can try eat 4 or 5 meals a day plus small snacks in between instead of 3 big meals. Also, i find that i get hungry fast after drinking a smoothie or juice from the juicer. A smoothie usually runs 300 to 400 cal, so thats pretty good. Some others have mentioned nuts and dairy, those are great for caleries and nutrition.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    With all the various restrictions you've listed, you're going to have a very hard time getting the nutrients and calories you need. You're probably going to have to make some concessions somewhere.

Let's recap, since they're all scattered:

PCOS
    Gluten intolerant
    Lactose intolerant
    Vegan
    Very mindful of Omega-6 fats
    Not much money to spend on food

The gluten, lactose, and PCOS pretty much by default cut out a large number of inexpensive veg*n nutrient dense foods (since soy is/should be off the table due to the high level of phytoestrogens, and beans are questionable, due to their high starch content, both issues can exacerbate PCOS).

The money situation, of course, isn't really something you can change easily. Ideally, you could reallocate funds to food, but that only works for so long.

That leaves two things that are choices -- being vegan and being mindful of Omega-6. Now, both of them, especially in isolation, are good things to be mindful of, but I'm not entirely convinced that they're not a side effect of your ED (the money thing may be, too, at least to some extent, but I have no insight into your financial decisions). Every person I know that has had an ED have stated that you never really "get over it." You deal with it the tendencies the rest of your life. Keeping from succumbing to it requires conscious and semi-conscious choices every day.

The reason I say this is because of the reasons you've given, vs your current situation.

You state that you believe that you can get all nutrients without resorting to killing animals. Yet, there are a few things wrong with that --

a. you have several compounding issues that will make doing so more difficult than it already is, and already putting a number of not-easy restrictions on you (and I understand first-hand, I have PCOS and am gluten intolerant as well)
    b. you're not getting the nutrients you need (including raw calories)
    c. you don't have the money you yourself said needs invested in order to do it properly
    d. you're relying on "boxed processed" stuff from a store to fill in the gaps, particularly for EFAs and certain vitamins, something you just accused non-vegans of doing (which, by the way, there is a middle ground between someone who hunts and someone who buys crap from a big-box supermarket without a care for where it came from or the process by which it got to that point)
    e. you're almost overly mindful of Omega-6s, to the point of turning down one of the few calorie and nutrient-dense foods that still work with all of your other restrictions, despite having a presumably healthy diet that's very likely low in fat in general, and low in Omega-6 already (side note - it's not so much the raw number of Omega-6 fats that 's the problem, it's the disproportion with Omega-3s)

Now, where you make the concessions is going to depend entirely on you, but right now, your immediate health can't really handle all of the restrictions you have. Maybe at some point, you'll be able to achieve all of your goals, but at the moment, having them all is doing more harm than good.

I also second the recommendation for probiotics that people have mentioned. There are both soy and coconut yogurts on the market, you can also make your own fermented foods, including kombucha, sodas, water kefir, sauerkraut, and more.
  • Trad_Barbie
    Trad_Barbie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had a long term eating disorder (if just eating 800-1100 calories qualifies) and want to eat more but your body just feels full when you eat more?

I'm trying to eat more and did for a few days eating 1400 a day and I feel bloated when I eat. I can't use the 'I'm full' as a gauge because I'm finding it really hard to eat 1400 nevermind the 1800-2000 I should be eating. Do you eat fat just to get the calories you need?

I have pcos and fibro so the advice may be different for me in terms of metabolism.

Edited: read further into the responses and noticed your dietary restrictions. I'm not familiar with a lot of what you've listed.

P.S., "if just eating 800-1100 calories qualifies" ... yes, it qualifies. 1,500 would qualify, 200 would qualify, 0 qualifies. There are several factors that contribute to and fit the criteria of an eating disorder- most of which are psychological with physical side effects. We won't get into what goes on in my head from time to time, though a far cry from what I was dealing with a few years ago and then a few years before that.
  • Trad_Barbie
    Options
    There are pills you can get from the pharmacy for when you have antibiotics which are totally destructive to your gut flora. Get those, and that may be a start.

As a recovering former ed-nos with orthorexic tendencies, that horrifies me. :laugh: Guess some things don't change!
  • Trad_Barbie
    Options
    You state that you believe that you can get all nutrients without resorting to killing animals. Yet, there are a few things wrong with that --

I grew up knowing (and still know) a natural medicines expert that swears up and down he's never met a healthy veg*n. Hes been counseling my dad on his diet since my dad completed all of his cancer treatments and my dad made a joke about just converting to veg*nism after reading the dietary restrictions he was supposed to adhere to for the next six weeks, and this guy strongly advised against it, due in large part to the impact it can have on the heath of a person that is not physiologically compatible with the diet.
  • SexiLexi1989
    SexiLexi1989 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Great advice! Very doable and you are right, few little modifications should quickly add up.