Why do people gain weight on purpose?

Options
13»

Replies

• BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Dysfunctional thinking comes in a lot of varieties. This one just happens to be extremely obvious while others do a good job of hiding it.

Mandy
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Well, I mean, my boyfriend who is 6'4" weighs 220. If he decided he wanted to look like Captain America, he would need to put on at least 30 lbs of muscle, which is difficult to do when you already have a very high caloric need and need to cover all your nutrient needs. People who weigh a lot and lift have to plan every meal to ensure you're getting enough protein, vitamins, etc.

I could go for being about 200 - 220 pounds.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I don't get it either! Why would any-one want to be morbidly obese? A lady in my town, shes about 27 years younger than me, who has always been overweight, and tried to lose it a few times. I even did a weight-loss competition with her a few years back, but she dropped out halfway through the 12 week pound plunge. I haven't seen her in about 2 years, but last time I saw her she told me she was over 600lbs, and was trying to gain weight and get up to 1000 lbs. She was barely able to stand when I saw her last and she looked gross. She has to ride a scooter to get around and I just plum don't get it! It boogles my mind completely
  • PurpleCupcakes01
    Options
    It's a lot of these people around. Saw a few on the doctor Oz show one day. To each it's own I guess.
  • JTGJTG
    JTGJTG Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Except it IS other people's business when they use taxpayer services for health care, or stick the taxpayers for a disability check every month.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I didn't watch the video but I know a lot of women do this to make money from the fetish side of things.

Here in the UK though, people are actively gaining weight to qualify for gastric surgery. It's my understanding that there is a minimum qualifying weight to get the surgery on the NHS and instead of making the effort to get healthy, off their own steam, people will just eat even more in order to go for what is the 'easy' option. It's a dangerous procedure, IMO, and i think the money would be better spent on counselling etc or at least basing the decision on individual cases rather than saying you need to be x lb before we can help you.

I agree with others that this is an eating order and as such, I really don't have any understanding of it.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I don't get it either! Why would any-one want to be morbidly obese? A lady in my town, shes about 27 years old, who has always been overweight, and tried to lose it a few times. I even did a weight-loss competition with her a few years back, but she dropped out halfway through the 12 week pound plunge. I haven't seen her in about 2 years, but last time I saw her she told me she was over 600lbs, and was trying to gain weight and get up to 1000 lbs. She was barely able to stand when I saw her last and she looked gross. She has to ride a scooter to get around and I just plum don't get it! It boggles my mind completely

I just edited a few typo's, wasn't letting me go in and edit so I quoted it. lol
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Well.....some people are severely underweight. Other's want to bulk to add muscle. Or maybe people have more self-esteem with a little extra body fat or maybe it's easier for them to maintain at a higher weight.

There are tons of reasons.

JK.....I just wanted to add a response of people who didn't even read OP's original post! *forum pet peeve*
  • Trad_Barbie
    Trad_Barbie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Other than that, folks are free to do with their bodies as they choose except suicide which is still illegal. Oh, and if they are a danger to themselves or others that can be problematic but if they want to gain weight, by all means go ahead.

Weighing 500 pounds, or eating enough to gain up to that, could be considered slow suicide, depending on the impact it has on the persons health.
  • Trad_Barbie
    Options
    I'm not talking about people who are very thin and trying to get to a healthier weight. I'm talking about people who have the most perfect bodies and their goal is to get to 300, 400, 500 pounds. I mean, I know its a fetish.. But it's so unhealthy.. and I guess I can't judge because to each their own. But what the hell.........

I know a lot of you don't trust youtube links or any links on here.. so for the people who don't like links type in "Weight Gain Biggerthanzoe Getting Fatter".
    She has a healthy, completely proportioned beautiful body and makes herself fat...

What's your opinions on that?

And heres the link for others https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98eA31XtsSs

I think it's probably in the same realm of thought as if that healthy, proportioned girl wanted to lose ten vanity pounds. I get that's kind of apples and oranges but the point I'm trying to make is that its personal. I think?
    He** I dunno. I'm the girl that's trying to get rid of the vanity pounds though. Lol.
  • Trad_Barbie
    Options
    1 Seek sympathy

2 to make themselves sick so they can qualify for disability

3 Mental/emotional disturbance is the real underlying problem

The liberal in me initially got irritated at your "qualify for disability"

Lol.
This discussion has been closed.