290 start at 37yo, down to 211 and shrinking!

Options
techcoast
techcoast Posts: 26 Member
You're never too old to start.
I'm down to 211 (As of this morning) from 290 from back in July of 2013. I have 11 more pounds (maybe 16) to get back to a "healthy" weight. What did I do? I changed my eating habits primarily.

1) I up my protein, but still keep things in balance (Thanks myfitnesspal!)

2) I found my "sweet spot" for calories needed (took a few weeks to figure this out but it made a HUGE difference). I had done what so many have done and thought, "less caloric intake the more I lose". Doesn't work that way. You have to give your body fuel to burn or it tries to store everything it has and you burn off all your muscle long before it'll touch your fat.

3) After finding my calorie intake, I started on strength training. Muscle burns way faster than fat and you build muscle quicker through strength training. You don't have to kill yourself, but certainly add it to your routine.

4) Adjusted calorie intake for what I was now burning. The MFP app will help you with this. Keep track of your calories burned and be sure to eat those calories in the day and add some protein after a hard workout (try to do it within the first 1/2 hour)

5) Get help. Yes, I primarily did this own my own concerted effort, but I got a lot of input from people who have lost weight and helped me understand my own body better. My "coach" is also an Herbalife rep, and yes, I started on the shakes, but that's me. I'm not replacing my meals with anything, but I like the extra protein after a workout. My normal diet is just that. A normal diet.

Getting help also means having a good support group. Have your friends and family encourage you. Don't let anyone pressure you into eating something you don't want too. It will be to your benefit and you will encourage others when they see the benefits of you loosing weight!

6) I didn't go for muscle size right off the bat. If you want to get "big" then go that route, but understand that your weight loss and lean muscle will take WAY longer to get to where you want to be. It sounds counter-intuitive, but muscle bodies don't help you lose weight. Building muscle does. Get lean and THEN go big. :) My next goal will be to put on another 10-20 lbs of muscle when I'm at my goal weight, but it will be from lifting and trimming.

7) Don't cheat on your app!!! Record EVERYTHING. It doesn't help you to lie to yourself.

8) Be patient. Sometimes your body will plateu, but change up your routine (switch cardio and strength up) or add something different to get your body back into burning mode. It will take a little time, but you will start burning again.

This is for you and you alone to do. You are worth it, you are awesome, and you WILL make it!

Anyway, this is just my two bits and it's worked very well for me. I'm finally back in a 34 jean from a 44 and I'm working toward my high-school size of 32!!

Replies

• jmeister92
    Options
    Very inspiring, thank you. Do you mind sharing your exercise routine and perhaps opening your diary? What is this sweet spot by the way? Any other tips for someone looking to get where you are now?

Jeff
  • elghee123
    elghee123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Well said. thanks!
  • techcoast
    Options
    The sweet spot is where your body is burning off more than your taking in at a peak efficiency. To figure that out, you need to find out how many calories it needs vs burns. The MFP will help you start, but you need to play with the numbers to figure out where that "spot" is. In other words, let's try this example;

Example:
    MFP says, you need 1700 calories based on age, sex, height, etc..
    You start doing that but it's slow going on the weight loss.
    Bump up your calories to say, 1900.. next thing you know your body starts loosing the weight quicker
    Bump up again to 2100.. now you've slowed down your weight loss and in fact, start gaining weight again..
    Go back to 1900 and add your workouts..
    Adjust your calories again as needed to find that sweet spot.
    NOTE: Each segment of this takes 2-3 weeks to complete to allow for your body to adjust to the changes in diet. Your first time out could take 3-5 weeks to adjust if you have tried starvation diet first.. this is a marathon, not a short sprint. SO, stick with it.. :)

Work outs,
    Monday Chest (Bench, decline bench, butterflies) Back (seated bent row, lat pull down, and another back I can't remember then name) Core (planks, declined bench sit ups, etc) 10-15 reps 3-5 sets.. (depending on if you're going for strength or trimming)
    Tues : Bodypump
    Wed: Off
    Thurs: Bicepts (dumbell curls, curls hammer, and bar curls) Tricepts (Extensions, dips, overhead extensions) Shoulders(millitary press, forward lifts, side lifts) 10-15 reps 3-5 sets.. (depending on if you're going for strength or trimming)
    Friday: Off
    Sat: BodyPump
    Sunday: Off
    Right now I was sick for a week and then off for two, so I have to rebuild my strength and start with a lower weight again, but it'll build back quicker this time around..

As for other tips, just stick with it.. Your perseverance will be your biggest asset. When you start seeing results, you will want to keep going. But, it's a change you are making for yourself. It's not bigger than your are, you CAN do it, you WILL do it, and if you fall once in a while, get back up and start again. :) -speaking from experience on that..

If you want to know if I change something up now and then, "friend me" and keep in touch! Hang in there, we are all on this journey together!!

H.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    The sweet spot is where your body is burning off more than your taking in at a peak efficiency. To figure that out, you need to find out how many calories it needs vs burns. The MFP will help you start, but you need to play with the numbers to figure out where that "spot" is. In other words, let's try this example;

Example:
    MFP says, you need 1700 calories based on age, sex, height, etc..
    You start doing that but it's slow going on the weight loss.
    Bump up your calories to say, 1900.. next thing you know your body starts loosing the weight quicker
    Bump up again to 2100.. now you've slowed down your weight loss and in fact, start gaining weight again..
    Go back to 1900 and add your workouts..
    Adjust your calories again as needed to find that sweet spot.
    NOTE: Each segment of this takes 2-3 weeks to complete to allow for your body to adjust to the changes in diet. Your first time out could take 3-5 weeks to adjust if you have tried starvation diet first.. this is a marathon, not a short sprint. SO, stick with it.. :)

Work outs,
    Monday Chest (Bench, decline bench, butterflies) Back (seated bent row, lat pull down, and another back I can't remember then name) Core (planks, declined bench sit ups, etc) 10-15 reps 3-5 sets.. (depending on if you're going for strength or trimming)
    Tues : Bodypump
    Wed: Off
    Thurs: Bicepts (dumbell curls, curls hammer, and bar curls) Tricepts (Extensions, dips, overhead extensions) Shoulders(millitary press, forward lifts, side lifts) 10-15 reps 3-5 sets.. (depending on if you're going for strength or trimming)
    Friday: Off
    Sat: BodyPump
    Sunday: Off
    Right now I was sick for a week and then off for two, so I have to rebuild my strength and start with a lower weight again, but it'll build back quicker this time around..

As for other tips, just stick with it.. Your perseverance will be your biggest asset. When you start seeing results, you will want to keep going. But, it's a change you are making for yourself. It's not bigger than your are, you CAN do it, you WILL do it, and if you fall once in a while, get back up and start again. :) -speaking from experience on that..

If you want to know if I change something up now and then, "friend me" and keep in touch! Hang in there, we are all on this journey together!!

H.

You didn't mention any leg exercises? If your not doing legs. Like squats and leg presses, lunges, leg curs , calf raises, etc; if your not doing these your cutting yourself short of valuable lean muscle gain, and a metabolic improvement.
    Great job on your weight loss! Very inspirationally!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! :-)
  • chunkyboy79
    chunkyboy79 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    congratulations on your weight loss. this sounds exact same story as my own. started in august 2013 at 295 lbs and am now down to 210. feeling so much better for it and its nice to get complimented on how well i'm doing. past few weeks my weight hasnt dropped although my muscles are definatly harder and i need a new belt so im doing somthing right. keep up the good work buddy.
  • techcoast
    Options
    I do my legs during Body Pump, squats, lunges I get the work out and there are 3 major sets during each session.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!