What is going on with my body?

Options
I've struggled with my weight most of my adult life. I've always been between 250-275 pounds since my early twenties. However, in the past year my weight went up to 300 lbs. In the past when I've tried to lose weight I was successful, but gave up anyway because of lack of willpower. The last time I tried to lose weight was about a year ago. I lost 20 lbs in one month and then I started a new job at an airport and it became harder for me to maintain my healthy diet because of my lack of willpower. But, since my weight has went up to 300 and I also found out that my blood pressure was getting to be in the hypertension stage, I've tried to get serious about weight loss. Before when I've tried to lose weight I would still eat what I wanted (mostly fast food and junk), but stay within my calories for the day and the pounds came off. This time I'm trying to actually make healthy choices while staying in my calorie range. I consider this more of a lifestyle change. Before I wanted to lose weight because I wanted to look good. Now, I'm seriously concerned for my health. MFP puts me at 2050 calories a day right now, however I typically eat around 15-1600 a day. I'm eating lots and lots and LOTS of fresh veggies. I stay away from processed foods as much as possible, other than light dressing on my salad, but recently I've even been trying to replace that with fresh squeezed lemon juice. I live in downtown Philly and walk everywhere. According to my pedometer on normal days with no extra exercise I walk well over the recommended 10,0000 steps a day through daily activities around the city. But also, I've started walking an additional two miles about three days a week to burn extra calories. I've only been on this plan for a few weeks, however the scale WILL NOT MOVE! The last time I weighed in I was down to 294 lbs. However, at today's weigh in I was back up to 298, almost where I started. I'm incredibly frustrated. I do have lots of energy compared to before, and that helps to keep me going instead of giving up, yet it's still very disgusting for me to get on the scale and see no progress. I've heard people say to ignore the scale, but that's hard for me, because the scale tells us something right? I mean the point of this is to lose weight so that I can be more healthy, but if the number isn't going down, how much progress am I really making? I'm beginning to wonder if there is a problem with my body, such as an undiagnosed thyroid issue. Who has had this experience and how did you deal with it?

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I recommend reading the posts at the top of this forum page:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

In particular, these ones are very useful:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

If you're as active as you say you are, and you're really eating only 1500-1600 calories a day, you should lose weight.

Over a few weeks, the scale might not budge, due to water retention or solid waste retention. If you are sure you're logging accurately, wait a couple more weeks. But it's very easy to fool yourself. One study showed that the typical person underestimated daily calorie intake by over 400 calories, and even trained dietitians underestimated by more than 200. My first several months on MFP I underestimated by around 200 calories a day.

Good luck! You can do this, with will power and accurate data.
  • sjh8403
    sjh8403 Posts: 13
    Options
    I recommend reading the posts at the top of this forum page:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

In particular, these ones are very useful:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

If you're as active as you say you are, and you're really eating only 1500-1600 calories a day, you should lose weight.

Over a few weeks, the scale might not budge, due to water retention or solid waste retention. If you are sure you're logging accurately, wait a couple more weeks. But it's very easy to fool yourself. One study showed that the typical person underestimated daily calorie intake by over 400 calories, and even trained dietitians underestimated by more than 200. My first several months on MFP I underestimated by around 200 calories a day.

Good luck! You can do this, with will power and accurate data.

Thank you for your input! Helpful information! I do log every little thing that goes into my mouth and I'm aware that we can underestimate how much we're eating, that's why I stick around 1500 calories a day instead of the 2050 that MFP recommends, just in case I make a mistake and measure something wrong.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Get a physical done. Underlying issues like diabetes or insulin resistance could NOW be a factor.
    If you're measuring your food right, then weight loss should be happening if you're calories are in deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sjh8403
    Options
    Get a physical done. Underlying issues like diabetes or insulin resistance could NOW be a factor.
    If you're measuring your food right, then weight loss should be happening if you're calories are in deficit.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Yes, I think I need to. It's really frustrating and scary. I hope it's not my destiny to be overweight and unhealthy for the rest of my life.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Like the link states, weighing and measuring everything is so important. But if your sure that your accurately logging everything, then you should be losing.
    Give it a little time, And if you still don't see a change, then definitely make a doctor appt.
    I hope all goes well for you! Good luck on your journey!!
  • starsandowls
    starsandowls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's most people's "destiny" to be overweight and unhealthy for life. You look pretty young; you've got time and motivation to change. If you want to think it terms of destiny, believe it's your destiny to get healthy now and enjoy the next 40+ years!

(Personally, I think that some people use "destiny" and "fate" as excuses, like, "Oh, it's not meant to be, so I should just cut my losses and give up, because my fate is not to be happy and healthy and productive or whatever." I also think people sometimes get locked into the idea that the hand they've been dealt is the only possible course for the entire rest of their lives, so what's the point of trying to do anything to make life better for themselves? And you might have just used the word destiny casually, but I still think it might be a trap you could fall into, saying, "Oh, it's my destiny to be overweight and unhealthy, I can't do anything to make a meaningful change long term, the world is out to get me with the temptations." Just my $.02.)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Based on what you've said, I also think you should get a checkup to include thyroid or any other medical issues that interferes with weight.

Also, are you logging your walking and do you eat those calories back? If so, be careful of pedometers, internet and MFP calorie burned estimates because they are generally over the top.
  • sjh8403
    Options
    Based on what you've said, I also think you should get a checkup to include thyroid or any other medical issues that interferes with weight.

Also, are you logging your walking and do you eat those calories back? If so, be careful of pedometers, internet and MFP calorie burned estimates because they are generally over the top.

No, I don't log the walking that I do nor do I eat back the calories. I am very active because of the city I live in, not owning a car, and working in retail. But, on my MFP profile I listed that I was very active, so I figured that it adjusted my calories for an active lifestyle, therefore I didn't need to log any calories I'm burning throughout the day unless I'm doing something much different than my usual routine.
  • sjh8403
    Options
    I don't think it's most people's "destiny" to be overweight and unhealthy for life. You look pretty young; you've got time and motivation to change. If you want to think it terms of destiny, believe it's your destiny to get healthy now and enjoy the next 40+ years!

(Personally, I think that some people use "destiny" and "fate" as excuses, like, "Oh, it's not meant to be, so I should just cut my losses and give up, because my fate is not to be happy and healthy and productive or whatever." I also think people sometimes get locked into the idea that the hand they've been dealt is the only possible course for the entire rest of their lives, so what's the point of trying to do anything to make life better for themselves? And you might have just used the word destiny casually, but I still think it might be a trap you could fall into, saying, "Oh, it's my destiny to be overweight and unhealthy, I can't do anything to make a meaningful change long term, the world is out to get me with the temptations." Just my $.02.)

Looks can be deceiving. :) Yes, you're right. I shouldn't have used the word destiny so casually. Our life is what we make of it. I'm the only one who can control what the outcome of this is. However, it is still scary to think that what if I eat right and exercise for the rest of my days and never see any results.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Yes, I think I need to. It's really frustrating and scary. I hope it's not my destiny to be overweight and unhealthy for the rest of my life.
    I hear you! When I was an infant, I was fat so the doctor told my mother to put me on a diet of reduced formula. I was a fat kid, couldn't lose weight, and my highest weight as an adult was 220 pounds. From that 220 pounds when I was 25, it has take me years of yo-yo dieting, diet pills, giving up, getting back on the wagon again, etc. etc. to finally be where I am today.

The point is I used to think it was my destiny to stay fat because i was "big boned" and had been fat all my life. Well, I do have a large frame, which I can't change, but I don't have to be fat. I have 100% control over what I put into my mouth and how I use the the tools.

It is your destiny to become the person you want to be. :flowerforyou:
  • sjh8403
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I hear you! When I was an infant, I was fat so the doctor told my mother to put me on a diet of reduced formula. I was a fat kid, couldn't lose weight, and my highest weight as an adult was 220 pounds. From that 220 pounds when I was 25, it has take me years of yo-yo dieting, diet pills, giving up, getting back on the wagon again, etc. etc. to finally be where I am today.

The point is I used to think it was my destiny to stay fat because i was "big boned" and had been fat all my life. Well, I do have a large frame, which I can't change, but I don't have to be fat. I have 100% control over what I put into my mouth and how I use the the tools.

It is your destiny to become the person you want to be. :flowerforyou:

That's very encouraging! Thank you! :happy:
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my ticker. I started at 338lb's so I know how you feel. In the begging I hit lot's of plateau's and dead ends and had loads of food cravings because my metabolism was a mess.

Basically your years of eating unhealthily has wrecked your bodies chemical balance creating a lot of inertia. You may not want to hear this right now but exercise truly is your best friend in this regard. Especially weight lifting. Do not be afraid of heavy weights you will not look like a bodybuilder. Lifting heavy will cause your muscles to become stronger and denser rather than bigger. More muscle mass will absolutely help sort your problems out. And allow you to burn Cardio for longer and harder.

As you improve in strength and physical fitness your workouts will naturally burn more calories. All told I burn in excess or a little under 1000 calories most days. And I am still very fat! It took me a few months to get to this point but it was TOTALLY worth it. My weight loss has become larger and more stable with less tendency to hit plateau's.

Your metabolism may also be highly sugar dependent. Consider severely restricting sugar for a few weeks if so. Sugar is extremely easy to metabolize and your body can get addicted to it and train your brain to seek it out before other nutrients that aren't just empty calories. There is nothing wrong with a little sugar however too much can become like a drug making people crave sweet things to distraction. I had a far harder time giving up sugar than I ever did giving up smoking. And you will be surprised. Once I kicked my sugar addiction I found fruit once again highly satisfying to my sweet tooth. Stuff like chocolate and soda started tasting pretty sickly.

Of course all this advice is assuming your doctor tells you that you are nominally healthy. Having diabetes or some other condition can change the landscape. But this is what worked for me.