I'm Really Struggling Eating Within Calorie Limit

Options
13»

Replies

• RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    A lot of you have been critical of my Shakeology meal replacements. I actually introduced them recently to my diet in order to help control my calories while getting macro and micro nutrients. I never "drink" it mixed with water. I always mix it with either young coconut, coconut water, non-fat milk or non-fat yogurt + frozen berries. It turns a potential 130 cal meal into something that is like 350 cal. Maybe that's my problem? The other thing I'm thinking about is since my dinners have been so huge, I should reconsider fasting all day and eat only at dinner. That way, it'll be much easier to stay within my calorie limit.

So basically you are going to do more of what is currently not working for you?

Yes this annoys me too. The only thing loading all your calories into one meal will do is make that one meal go mostly to your fat and make you super ravenous through the rest of the day. Not good to say the least.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    May I make a couple of suggestions of things that have helped me? I don't ignore hunger but address it right away.

I also keep nuts with me at all times. It's amazing how just a few nuts will not only curb your hunger but also make you feel better.
    morning too.

Today I purchased some expensive macadamia nuts to leave at the office for when I'm most hungry in-between meals. They are so damn addicting and I ended up eating about 1/2 cup which doesn't seem like a lot since the nuts are large but that was more than 400 cal. Damn. I guess I like the taste too much. In the future, I'll limit myself to one individual nut as a "snack." Sigh.

A lot of you have been critical of my Shakeology meal replacements. I actually introduced them recently to my diet in order to help control my calories while getting macro and micro nutrients. I never "drink" it mixed with water. I always mix it with either young coconut, coconut water, non-fat milk or non-fat yogurt + frozen berries. It turns a potential 130 cal meal into something that is like 350 cal. Maybe that's my problem? The other thing I'm thinking about is since my dinners have been so huge, I should reconsider fasting all day and eat only at dinner. That way, it'll be much easier to stay within my calorie limit.

Listen to me when I tell you to eat your 2200 cals a day. grr.

Also: I question some of the calorie counts of your food. Are you creating these recipes yourself? 1 1/2 c vegetable chow mein at 550 cals? Unless they're pouring lard in there I wouldn't expect it to be more than 200 cals. I admit I make my own but still...

Are you able to cook for yourself? Do you have much experience in preparing meals for yourself? That can make a really big difference to how easily you can control your weight. :)

You are fighting 200,000 years of human evolution when you try to eat so little, and you're saying anorexic things. one nut? Come on!

you're bingeing because you're holding your body so far below its balance point. Don't be so brutal. Do you need help working out some filling and relatively low calorie meals?

Steak is only 200 cals for 150g! You can have a huge steak for 300 cals. you can have 2 baked potatoes for 300 cals. That's a 600 cal dinner, and still room for vegetables.
  • TrishaLeighNelson
    TrishaLeighNelson Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Shake/smoothies don't fill me up, no matter how much fruit is in them. Switch up your diet a bit! Eat more raw veggies. It seems like in your diary you have 3 shakes and one meal a day, that's why your hungry. Lose the shakes, add food!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    May I make a couple of suggestions of things that have helped me? I don't ignore hunger but address it right away.

I also keep nuts with me at all times. It's amazing how just a few nuts will not only curb your hunger but also make you feel better.
    morning too.

Today I purchased some expensive macadamia nuts to leave at the office for when I'm most hungry in-between meals. They are so damn addicting and I ended up eating about 1/2 cup which doesn't seem like a lot since the nuts are large but that was more than 400 cal. Damn. I guess I like the taste too much. In the future, I'll limit myself to one individual nut as a "snack." Sigh.

If you are eating "meal replacement shakes", they are supposed to be replacing meals. They are designed for people on VLCDs who can only eat 800-1000 calories a day. I'm sure you could get all your macros in if you used those calories as food, rather than these products. You would also feel more full. 130-150 is a few ounces of chicken, or two eggs. I ate an egg and a strip of bacon this morning -- that was around 160 calories, a 1/2 grapefruit, and an english muffin, total 365 calories. There's no need to starve yourself until supper, and if you do, you are setting yourself up to binge more. Eating small meals at regular intervals fuels your metabolism.

I have an issue with nuts myself. If I'm at home, I have a little measuring cup. I measure 1/4 cup, which is the serving size and put the can away. When taking them to work, I measure then into a baggie and pack with my lunch. That and an apple make a very filling snack. Some companies like Diamond or Emerald also have these little 100 calorie size nut snacks, too.
  • Fit_Chef_NE
    Fit_Chef_NE Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think what you eat is very important as far as hunger is concerned. If I eat mostly carbs (which let's face it, is what fruit is) then you will constantly be hungry. That's how they are. It sucks, but many people end up overweight simply from eating more carbohydrates.

Eat more healthy fats (avocado, peanut butter, olive oil etc) and more protein. These are very filling and they keep you full for much longer. Protein shakes are not nearly as effective as just eating some chicken or fish. I like to put 4-6 oz of lean protein on my plate, some healthy fat (maybe half an avocado or a tablespoon of olive oil) and fill the rest of my plate with veggies (a nice spinach salad or grilled zucchini, onions etc). Once a day I allow myself either a potato or rice. If I eat bread or pasta, I will ALWAYS overeat and will end up starving a half hour later. I also reward myself at the end of the day with a nice big piece of 90% dark chocolate and some berries. If I eat too many calories in the day, I don't get my little "reward". I have lost more than 2lbs a week doing this and I find I have to work really hard to come close to my calories for the day because my food is so filling.

Yes, I'm one of THOSE people who has to force the calories down. But changing what I eat has made all the difference. Now cutting out entire groups of food isn't for everyone, but you won't know how your body reacts unless you try.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Increase your fiber intake.

I remember telling my nutritionist once that I was eating pretty well, but still hungry, and it was driving me crazy. She told me to increase my fiber, and that month I lost 12 pounds - my fiber shot up, and my sugar's plummeted.

I added Chocolite Protein Bars (www.healthsmartfoods.com) to my plan. You can usually find coupon codes for them at www.retailmenot.com under the name "Carbolite" (one of their product line names, I believe).
  • Fit_Content
    Fit_Content Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Also: I question some of the calorie counts of your food. Are you creating these recipes yourself? 1 1/2 c vegetable chow mein at 550 cals? Unless they're pouring lard in there I wouldn't expect it to be more than 200 cals. I admit I make my own but still...

Ah, I'm glad you noticed that. Last night I helped my mother cook a vegetable chow mein. There were A LOT of leafy green vegetables that went into it. She was cooking for the entire family + some extended family so the portion was huge. I couldn't weigh it. When I went to serve for myself, I got a large portion but went mostly for the brocolli and bok choy. When it came time to log the calories, I didn't know what to pick so I thought I'd go with something very high cal just to be "safe" as people here often say to do. I couldn't really weigh it at that point since the vegetables had sauce, oil, and some pig fat coating on it from the ground pork.

I keep hearing over and over from people here that I've hit a weight loss plateau because I'm overeating and/or not exercising enough. Therefore, I'm trying really hard to drop my eating.