Implanon removal and weight loss

Options

Replies

• nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Randomly resurrecting this thread, but I wanted to tell you ladies about my experience with the Implanon.

I had mine removed yesterday (just moved to the States and my work insurance hasn't kicked in yet, so I had to go to a clinic and pay upfront. That whole ordeal was really unpleasant and is a whole other story) and wow did that hurt. The Anesthetic literally did nothing at all. I wouldn't wish that procedure on my worst enemy.

I would say I have gained around 15 pounds since getting my Implanon in November of 2013. Now I would attribute about 50% of that to my own response to my increased hunger and change in taste palate. But otherwise, I really was trying most of the time. I ate mostly healthy and still exercised. My diet didn't change enough to justify that much of a weight gain.

A lot of it is water retention I'm sure, as many women have seen around a 4 pound loss within a week of getting it removed, but hormones definitely play a part in how your body chooses to use and store food.

I know this is a weight loss thread, but I just wanted to warn women who are hormone sensitive like myself about this. I tried at least half a dozen BC pills and Nuvaring and had horrible side effects from all. So it is no wonder my body didn't agree with the Implanon. However, I have PCOS and was bleeding non stop, so my gyno wanted to stop it.

As much as the weight gain got me down, what really affected me was how my hair was falling out in chunks in the shower. I reckon I lost 50% of my hair, which really sucks for a girl in her early 20s. I'm just glad I got that thing removed and can return back to normal. Condoms ftw (lol)
  • missnancylondon
    Options
    I was always a UK size 8, ate well and was active. 3 and a half years into having the implant and being more active now that I have ever been in my entire life, I've somehow managed to put on 40lb and baloon to a size 14. I'll admit that my age also has played a part in slowing down my metabolism (I turned 25 when I got it in and I'm now 28) but the rate of weight gain makes no logical sense. I'm literally battling with my body to stabilse the weight gain. I always wondered if the implanon had anything to do with it and reading this thread has helped me confirm that.

I'll book an appointment to get it out asap and will give you ladies an update. Thanks for giving me some hope. Lol.
  • missnancylondon
    Options
    Wow, some of you guys are being harsh. On almost every hormonal birth control method, one of the first listed side effects is weight gain. How can you tell someone it has nothing to do with that? Hormones regulate just about everything in our body, including gaining weight. Not sure how you can say a hormonal birth control would not have any effect. Also the "it didnt happen with me" mentality. Thats great! But everyone's body is different and just because it didnt hapoen to you doesnt mean it cant happen to anyone else. I gained 35 lbs while on implanon. Had it taken out march 24, 2014. I have already lost 6 lbs. So please dont make other women feel like crap becaise you dont understand hormonal birth control. There is hope, ladies. Hopefully the pounds keep shedding. I will save this link and comment periodically to let you know how it is going.

I thought the same thing!! Thanks for your comment :-) Hopefully my body will start doing what I tell it to when I get mine out too.
  • danitzaperez
    Options
    I had my Mirena removed 3 weeks ago after having it inserted in December. I'm 33 yrs old, 5'11" and weighed 150 lbs pre-pregnancy and a size 4/6 with a very active and healthy lifestyle.

When my daughter was born, I weighed 207 and went down to 198 immediately postpartum. Once I got the green light to workout from my dr, I started doing insanity. I was also BF at the time and weighed 188 and was a size 10 the day mirena was inserted.

I continued to workout 3 days a week, eat healthy foods, and BF. I weaned my daughter in March, thus resulting in eating 500 less calories a day. I started to lose a lot of hair...more than what I thought should be normal for women postpartum and it became greasy to where dry shampoo did nothing. I also got horrendous acne and terrible cramping right away. I visited my dr and expressed my concerns but all he said was that the mirena was in the right place and my cramping would subside. He failed to acknowledge my other symptoms (which should have been a red flag, but I trusted him).

A couple of weeks later, I literally got every bad side effect in the book. I HATED it: Depression, aches and pains all over, Amenorrhea (no period at all), sudden worse Acne, Anxiety, unable to concentrate, Breast tenderness and pain, Fatigue during the day and Insomnia (up every night for hours after LO feeds and goes back to sleep ugh), Irritability... my poor hubby! I also started to have memory loss, Night Sweats, Headaches, constant Nausea like morning sickness ( I seriously thought I was pregnant! I'm not though, just have all the fun symptoms), continued horrible abdominal Cramps, etc, etc...

Despite all of this, I really wanted to keep focusing on working out and eating healthy. I started to gain weight and my tummy became so bloated, I looked 6 mo pregnant again! I upped my workouts to 5 days a week and cut out all liquids to drink except water. I kept gaining weight and was devastated. I eventually weighed 193 and had to wear a size 12/14. I had enough and decided to remove Mirena immediately.

Let me tell you...the very next day, my period started with no cramps, my mood instantly improved, and I felt less fatigued. 3 days later, my skin was clearing up and my bloated tummy looked smaller (even on my period), so I decided to weigh myself and was shocked to discover that I lost 3 lbs! I continued to lose weight and all my symptoms went away over the next week. My hubby couldn't be happier haha. Because I had all of my energy back, I continued my healthy lifestyle, workouts, etc.

As of today, I weigh 173, which is 20 lbs lost in almost a month! Yes, I've been working hard, but no more than when I had the Mirena and gained. I know some of it is water weight, but a lot is fat, and I'm in a size 8. I would like to eventually go back down to 150, at least by the end of the year. I can't believe something so small that's supposed to be so great, affected me the way it did. For those women that love it, I'm sincerely happy for you and wish I was one of the lucky ones who also loved because it seemed so promising as wonderful birth control...not so much for me. I'm just glad I have my life back.
  • mooie70
    mooie70 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    'Honey', it's aggressive people like you who make it impossible for every day people to post on here. You may need to go get your testosterone levels checked. FFS!

"Implanon is why I can't lose weight!!"

"Don't call me fat!"

Honey, get a grip. I assumed since you want to lose weight, and are throwing a hissy fit about the evils of Implanon, that you were overweight. Perhaps I was mistaken. What word would you prefer? Overweight? Over your ideal of what your weight should be? Please, help me help you understand. I did say (REPEATEDLY) that it was *possible* and that only proper labwork could show you WHY that was the case. But, you may just be a special snowflake, so I'll give you that. :flowerforyou:
  • KristeAlyssa008
    KristeAlyssa008 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well I think your a ***** for talking down on someone for not thinking the same way you do. Everyone is different and everyone's body reacts to certain things differently as well. You have no right to judge someone for not agreeing with your "opinion". Keep your **** talking to yourself because obviously no one on here agrees with you. Why don't you try anger therapy since you feel the need to bring others down?

* rant over
  • stAton626
    stAton626 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have been on Implanon for 2 years and am having it removed in 3 weeks. At first I was perfectly happy with it (after the constant bleeding stopped after the first 2-3 months), but over time I have had crazier mood swings and drastic weight gain. Besides those two negative effects I love it. No periods, and 3 years of protection is perfect.

I'm not sure how much of the emotion is from me or the hormones but every time I look in the mirror or recent pictures, I just want to ball my eyes out. I weighed 175 before I became pregnant. I gained 30 pounds then and had the implant inserted shortly after having my son. Over the past 2 years, I have gained another 40 pounds despite a change of diet and additional exercise at the gym.

I am hoping when I have the implant removed that I can have an easier time losing the weight. I miss the old me, the happier and confident me.
  • msparradise
    msparradise Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy to be reading these posts! I just had mine removed yesterday because it was AWFUL from the moment of insertion. Only had it in for about 16 months, but I pretty much bled for 16 months. My attitude and my weight were out of control. Hoping the weight starts to stabilize again, or I'm going to need a part time job to afford new clothes since none of mine fit. :(
  • bback4
    bback4 Posts: 4
    Options
    But you can't always blame people for making themselves fat. I just got my implant removed because in 6 months I did gain 20 lbs from the birth control. The first month i gained almost 10lbs and so I completely changed my life. Cut out junk and pop. I eat mostly unprocessed foods. 3 small meals a day with 2-3 snacks. More Protien and veggies. I also exercise 5-6 days a week for at least 30 min a day plus I'm a stay at home mom of 2 toddlers. And after that first month and my life change I have PUT ON another 10lbs. How is that possible if it's not a side affect from hormones. No it is not muscle. I can not wear any of my clothes I could 6 months ago. I can't button any of my jeans. Including the pair I bought after putting on that first 10 lbs I bought a pair two sizes bigger and now I can't even button those.

I take care of myself and stilled gained weight. I knew that it could increase my appetite but I have planned out my meals and snacks so I don't over eat and still put on the weight. I don't see another explanation.
  • rrobbins1916
    Options
    I am so glad to see that people are having results. I had my daughter Jan 2013 and was back down to pre baby weigjt within 2 weeks. I had my nexplanon inserted and within a month i gained 35lbs and didnt lose any weight at all until I had it removed a month ago. I just now got my first cycle and am hoping that this will help with some extra weight loss now that my body is showing that it is starting to get back on track.
  • MariadfdCruz
    MariadfdCruz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight with the pregnancy and I did a big diet, followed by a nutritionist. I lost then 12 kg maybe (or more). I wasn't still at my old weight, before the pregnancy, but I was only missing very few. Then, I got Implanon and I had to be all time in diet and I started eating extremely few, or I would gain weight. I gained 10 kg until I found out that Implanon was mixing all my system. My Doctor agree to take it out and I wasn't the 1st having these symptoms. I lost 2 kg in some days, just because I took it out. I lost some more weight but that was it. I was so tired of eating so few, that I gave up. My body also tends to keep the weight, what is great if I have my "ideal" weight, but a pain in the *kitten* if I need to loose weight.

So, here I am trying to loose my Implanon weight almost 2 years after its removal. Each person is different. I read some people gained 30 kg (I convert kg to lb. by multiplying by 2, so around 60 lb.). Maybe I gained 10 kg (20 lb.) because I wasn't eating and I did a lot of diets - as I started this I figured out I was eating an average of 800 calories per day and the days I would eat 1000 I would gain weight.

I am so sorry that I had that stupid Implanon in my arm :grumble: :grumble:
  • MariadfdCruz
    MariadfdCruz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Right, you don't want to hear about success on birth control, because that doesn't support your view. Maybe the birth control did magically make you fat. Your doctor and proper lab work would be the only way to confirm that. Birth control does have a tendency to drive up our feeling of hunger (at least for me and most of the women I know), so even if your diet feels the same, it might not be. To dismiss us just because we're suggesting it might be something you're doing, is childish.

I confirm that Implanon makes some people gaining weight. My doctor confirmed it, also. I lost 4 kg in 1 week after having it out, without any change on my way of eating. I didn't do diet because I was eating so few, that to decrease I wouldn't eat at all. I went also to a nutritionist that confirmed that it was Implanon and also together with a Vitamin D deficiency. I didn't gain more weight maybe because I wasn't putting anything in my mouth and I was exercising every single day 1 hour cycling and going to the gym at least 1 time per week. I was feeling weak due to not eating. I got to a point that I couldn't be standing after half an hour to be up.

What I can point out the difference now is the fat you have in your body. My cause of fat was mainly retaining liquids and slow metabolism. I gave up on eating few last year, because I was fat any way. I also gave up of the gym. Then I gained fat and cellulite. That's the biggest difference. Now, I am healthy and doing gym again. Eating healthy stuff, and I have to push myself to have 1200 calories. I was feeling so full, first days. Now it is going fine and I am happy I am eating with my family again - I had lost the happiness of eating, since it was so few and I was never joining my family, because I would gain weight.

Conclusion: I didn't get fatter because I was eating more and hungry all time. For the opposite. I was eating a light breakfast (All-Brans Fibres with skimmed milk), 2 slices of bread with butter and a spoon of the dinner, or a glass of milk. I wasn't hungry all day. I would just drink water or tea. And next day the same and next day. If I would eat a small meal, or more bread, I would gain half a kg.
  • stAton626
    stAton626 Posts: 2
    Options
    Update: I lost 10 pounds after having Implanon removed and so far it's staying off, which is amazing! Before it was lose 5, gain back 10-15. I'm super excited and can't wait to fit in my favorite pair of pants again.
  • agh12290
    Options
    I havent really changed my diet and excercise routine much, in fact Ive always been pretty consistent with that. I COULD NOT lose weight with the nexplanon implant! I got it removed 2 weeks ago and I have lost .5 lbs a day since!! Im down 9 lbs!
  • agh12290
    Options
    SAME HERE!!
  • Das_18
    Das_18 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm soo glad it's not just me that's having these weight gain issues. I have had the implant for 2 and a half years and no matter how healthy I eat I gain weight and my appetite has gone up so I am eating more. I have gained nearly 3 stone since having the implant. For the first year it was amazing had no mood swings pains etc. now it's absolute chaos I'm having horrific mood swings and feel depressed and I am not myself let alone the mad weight gain. Going back to the hospital in a couple of weeks to see if I can have it removed and see what other options there are as I have been having trouble with the hormones since I was 14 and the GPs won't do anything about it.

Now I'm hoping I can have the implant out and see if I can lose any weight easier. Has anyone found that they lose weight after it's removal?
  • m_ro5e
    m_ro5e Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hormones affect everyone differently, and weight gain is a clinically recognized side effect of implanon.
  • m_ro5e
    m_ro5e Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    With no other change in activity or diet, I gained 40 lbs in just a few months after having the implanon put in-- after being at a totally stable weight for 3 years on Mirena. It's also really affected my moods. I am having it removed on Tuesday after a year of working with a new doctor, labs, new insurance, and scheduling. Getting it put in is much easier than taking it out! It's not just a pill you can stop taking, which is one of the most frustrating things about this whole process.

I am hoping to go hormone-free (diaphragm or copper IUD) as a replacement (will discuss with my doctor). Hopefully I can update this post in a few weeks and let you know whether it makes a difference. I suspect it will, as does my doctor, who said that someone who wants the implant should consider getting 6 months of Depo before getting the implant to see how the body responds to it, since its effects on each individual can vary significantly.
  • Autumn_Days
    Autumn_Days Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've often wondered if it is possible that implanon can affect your weight. I was always 50kg (110lbs) before I got mine put in, now I am struggling to get under and maintain under 60kg (132lbs) even though my life style hasn't dramatically changed, if anything it has improved. I am in my 4th year of having one (on my second one now) and I am also on the pill to control my crazy periods the implanon gives me. So I am on a fairly large amount of hormones!

Has anyone got any updates? I am seriously thinking of getting mine out, mainly since I need the pill as well and I'm not really too sure how my mood is being affected by all these hormones since it's been about 3.5 years since I've been on both! Any added ease to weight loss would be a nice bonus, though!
  • sharabeetle
    Options
    I had my Implanon put in on the 25 of November 2013. I was 75kg about 164pds now as of 2nd of September 2014 I am 93kg 206 pds. It has been wonderful no period what so ever moods have been great. So I have been very happy with it. But the weight is not going any where its just going up and up and up. I eat very carefully. Even when I was pregnant I was only 85kg at the heaviest. I average about 5 to 7km a day walking now I up that to 8 to 10kg and I am still gaining. I feel like I am going to explode hehe. I am going to get my Implanon removed. Hopefully I lose some weight.