Closing in on 30 days 'Clean'

Options

Replies

• tmt2003
    tmt2003 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'm glad you appreciate them. When I saw them and held them, I just kept thinking: this makes it real. It's visual and something concrete. I think about how he felt with each one he earned. How proud and determined to earn another. And I think how every day he was surrounded by temptation. Everyday. From everywhere.

Everyone has their cross to bear. People over come them everyday. It's possible. And that's what I think when I see those medallions. Especially the first ones. He probably never imagined he had the strength to earn 39 years worth!

Weightloss medallions? Interesting. Doesn't WW do ribbons or pins? I don't know, I never stuck with it, lol.

Teresa
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It would be interesting to see how to make a plan like that for losing weight because not everyone has 100+ pounds to lose so not everyone would be able to get the higher medals if it's based on pounds lost. And some people need to gain weight, not lose weight. The medallions would have to be tailored to the person's personal goals. Maybe count the number of MFP days that someone went under (lose weight) or over (gain weight) their calorie goal?
  • irisized
    irisized Posts: 7
    Options
    I just started on the paleo way of eating and exercising. I have a knee replacement so I am not able to sprint, but I do a walking class 2 xs a week, bike back and forth to club house. (1 mile) I go to the pool when ever weather allows...and do the resistance pool. I also do some exercises that paleo recommends. so far I am down 4 lbs and eating nothing processed is awesome, I am bad with the wine. Most nights I have 4 glasses....working on that slowly. Its my stress relief, I care for my husband who has memorie issues. I am at least 50 lbs overweight, but I plan on getting fit.... I am not a fitness freak, but taking baby steps and not killing myself makes me want to keep going.... yesterday was eggs ,bacon and fruit for breakfast, a great egg white strawberry protein shake, quacamole with veggies for snack and spaghetti squash with lean meat sauce for dinner and wine.... never felt hungry and had my wine too.... we can do it!:smile:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Does anybody else feel like the battle against weight loss is like trying to stay 'clean'? Today, makes 25 days clean for me, and logging into this site and counting the calories is definitely helping me on my journey.

Well, no. I don't eat "clean." I eat a lot of "junk" and still lose weight. I see no point in depriving myself and being miserable when it's senseless to do so. Life is too short.

That said, I'm glad you're feeling on your way! Congratulations, and I wish you the best on your journey. :)

THIS... Addiction is when you are digging around in the trash bin for dirty lollipops for your next fix. :huh: :noway:
  • SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    in to read later....
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    OP, good for you with your loss. We all have to find our own way to a calorie deficit which is the only way to lose weight. You will probably get some pushback about the "clean" eating, it isn't necessary, although some prefer these restrictive diet methods. You will probably get some pushback about "food addiction" also. We all have to eat, we don't all have to have a drink. I will say this, if you are struggling, perhaps you would consider another approach? Do some research and find your TDEE, reduce you intake by 20% or so, eat foods you love in proper portions. For me, it stopped being a struggle when I realized I can eat whatever I want within reason and still lose weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Congrats! This is what works best for SOME PEOPLE. When I first began I DID start by deciding to do a 2-3 week "no junk food" phase. I ate LOW CRAP. After that I didn't really want it much. So I just kept doing it (I ate a lot of crap before). It worked for me. Hope it works for you as well. Best of luck with your continued journey!
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I apologize in advance for everyone who did not bother to read your post and instead assumed you were talking about "clean eating." If they bothered to read it, they would understand that you were talking about staying "clean" in an addiction sense, like people who are 30 days sober, etc.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I apologize in advance for everyone who did not bother to read your post and instead assumed you were talking about "clean eating." If they bothered to read it, they would understand that you were talking about staying "clean" in an addiction sense, like people who are 30 days sober, etc.
    People get weird about the word "clean". :laugh:
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I have been following IIFYM..there is a facebook page for it...
  • Lannister80
    Lannister80 Posts: 50
    Options
    I hear you on how it feels like an addiction...I ate for pleasure and comfort. I genuinely love food, and part of the reason my weight loss process has been slower is because I've been trying to completely change all my old habits. Yeah, I absolutely want to dive face first into a bucket of fried chicken or have 3 donuts, but instead I've been learning to make it a special treat or just have a little bit. I don't believe in deprivation because it will just make you crave it all the more and potentially slip, but it absolutely cannot be a part of my daily routine anymore.

That's where I tend to wonder, IS it an addiction for me personally....because smokers can't just have "one" or drug addicts can't just have "one more fix." Food is a necessity, and we just have to learn how to do the fun foods in moderation and fuel our bodies with the good food in as tasty and healthy a way as possible.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I have been following IIFYM..there is a facebook page for it...
    What does this have to do with his post?
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I too have long thought my issues with food closely resemble an alcoholic's struggle for sobriety. Having lived with alcoholism in my past, I can see a lot of the same patterns in my struggles. Being able to eat well and only when I'm hungry, would mean, for me, that I've conquered my skewed attitude about food. I feel so much better eating well, that is now my main motivation for continuing to do so. Thanks for a good thread!
  • morf13
    morf13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Today marks, 30 days 'clean' for me. 30 Days of counting calories, logging into this site, avoiding temptations, and going to the gym. Altogether, I have lost 19 pounds, for an average of over half a pound a day-I WILL TAKE THAT :)
    Most importantly, I am under 350 pounds,(348)and while I still have a long ways to go, I can take comfort in knowing that I will NEVER be over 350 pounds again. Each 25 pounds a lose will be a chapter in my weight loss book. 100 more to go, piece of cake or maybe I should say, piece of fruit to make it sound healthier :wink:
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    tumblr_liygxxpwLj1qai9ct.gif
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    tumblr_liygxxpwLj1qai9ct.gif
    Did you READ the OP?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Yes. I get it. My grandfather was an alcoholic who had been sober through AA for 39 YEARS. In AA they give them a medallion for each year of sobriety. When he passed away last year we found them all, he treasured them greatly:

4ufakw.jpg

Concrete proof of his daily struggles for 39 years. But it was these I found, he must have got them the first year, that really spoke to me:

fmp7hd.jpg

Those really speak to me. I carry one with me as a reminder. Everyone has their struggles, just keep coming back! One day, 30 days at a time..,
    this is a rather cool idea for food addiction recovery as well!! Nice that you shared as I can see the power of actually having the chip show the results (not that they don't show up in a million ways already when someone changes their eating patterns, of course!)

Guess I'm just trying to find a way to stick to changes...

OP...again, so glad you shared what you did... very proud of you and absolutely inspired by your success!!!!!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Today marks, 30 days 'clean' for me. 30 Days of counting calories, logging into this site, avoiding temptations, and going to the gym. Altogether, I have lost 19 pounds, for an average of over half a pound a day-I WILL TAKE THAT :)
    Most importantly, I am under 350 pounds,(348)and while I still have a long ways to go, I can take comfort in knowing that I will NEVER be over 350 pounds again. Each 25 pounds a lose will be a chapter in my weight loss book. 100 more to go, piece of cake or maybe I should say, piece of fruit to make it sound healthier :wink:
    stickmen_dance_100-100.gif?w=545 Time to celebrate & Dance! You're doing simply awesome:drinker: :wink:
  • mz_grim
    mz_grim Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    They have the medalions for food addicts as well - OA Overeaters Annonomous, same 12 step program as AA but for food addicts :)
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

Congratulations!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!