Am I eating too much peanut butter?

Options

Replies

• willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as too much peanut butter IIFYM, but you should weigh the peanut butter, not just log it by tablespoons.

Can you explain this? Is a tablespoon no longer a tablespoon or an inaccurate form of measuring?

Ask 5 people to take a tablespoon of peanut butter and you will get 5 very different measurements. Weight is the best uniform caloric indicator for solid foods.

Got it. Thanks :)
    Getting the peanut butter off your scale though is tricky. Unless you don't mind somebody seeing you licking the scale.

:huh: You don't have to actually put the PB right onto the scale to weigh it lol.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    You should weigh your PB to make sure you're logging accurately, especially if you're eating that much of it. That's a lot of room for error in your day.

The easiest way I've found to weight: Set the PB jar on the scale, tare it, and scoop out. The negative weight is how much you've eaten....-32 g is one serving then.
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options
    Getting the peanut butter off your scale though is tricky. Unless you don't mind somebody seeing you licking the scale.
    [/quote]

You caught me :blushing:
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as too much peanut butter IIFYM, but you should weigh the peanut butter, not just log it by tablespoons.

Can you explain this? Is a tablespoon no longer a tablespoon or an inaccurate form of measuring?

Ask 5 people to take a tablespoon of peanut butter and you will get 5 very different measurements. Weight is the best uniform caloric indicator for solid foods.

And for this reason i've never weighed it. And seem to have done alright.

just use an actual tablespoon meauring utensil not a spoon. and flatten the top. five people may not do it the same but i can bet the same person does it the same five times. I always use measuring cups/spoons for things like peanut butter.
  • stephbeland8
    stephbeland8 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You could try de PB2! Good taste of peanut butter less the fat and the calories! Also try the PB2 chocolate! Miamm! If you're trying to cut on body fat, you should not neglect the amount of fat in food even if you count your calories properly!

That is my opinion!
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options

just use an actual tablespoon meauring utensil not a spoon. and flatten the top. five people may not do it the same but i can bet the same person does it the same five times. I always use measuring cups/spoons for things like peanut butter.

Umm, I just put my bread on the scale, set it to zero, and then put the PB on the bread till I get to the amount of grams I want. No spoon needed. I just use a knife. :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Umm, I just put my bread on the scale, set it to zero, and then put the PB on the bread till I get to the amount of grams I want. No spoon needed. I just use a knife. :)

Or put the jar on the scale and scoop out till you have the right amount on your spoon.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    .... about a tablespoon of peanut butter ... about 2 tbs of peanut butter .... That's around 3 tablespoons. I may even have more as a snack. Am I eating to much peanut butter? I'm trying to lose weight from my thighs/ upper legs. Thanks!

there is no such thing as too much peanut butter IIFIYM - however, i suspect that you are eating more than you think as "about" and "tbsp" are both indicator of logging inaccuracies
    peanut butter is a great source of protein, but can be high in sugar, fat and calories and some are very high in salt, if you are eating more than you think it may well be wiping out your deficit and hindering your weight loss

>> watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

- weigh you PB
    - log it accurately (making sure you select the exact one that you are using - all PBs are NOT equal)
    and find out for yourself what impact it is having on your weightloss
  • Stilllosing26
    Stilllosing26 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I just hate how people always say "peanut butter makes you fat"!
  • salvaje913
    salvaje913 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I put the PB on the scale, tare it, then scoop out a serving, which would show negative. Then I can lick the knife and not feel guilty. :)
  • JoshTheGiant
    JoshTheGiant Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy it in moderation. I eat around 2 tbsp a day. Try to eat the natural ones that are low in sugar. I like Simply Jiff.
  • tbotteselle
    tbotteselle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is so delicious and filling. If I have a little it fills me up for hours. Just make sure you're buying the good stuff the only ingredient should be peanuts!
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    tumblr_n4g5d3Hc0F1rg58bpo1_500.jpg

I love peanut butter!!
  • ZombieSwimmer
    Options
    tumblr_n4g5d3Hc0F1rg58bpo1_500.jpg

^^This.
    :laugh:
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I eat all the peanut butter. ..
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    peanut butter isn't bad for you, but if you use the kind that has oil and sugar added, you might want to switch that up. You really don't need empty calories from sugar on daily basis. You could be using those calories for something delicious....like MORE peanut butter!!!
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    you can never eat too much peanut butter. which is why i'm on mfp trying to lose weight. at any rate, some people don't like PB2, but I use it in yogurts and smoothies, etc. as a lower cal, lower fat version of peanut butter. all the flavor for about 45 cals. i do NOT like it mixed with water as a spreadable. but mixed into other things, it's pretty good.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options

Or put the jar on the scale and scoop out till you have the right amount on your spoon.

this is terrifying.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    My best advice if you aren't aware of how fat loss occurs (such as it having nothing to do with how much peanut butter and everything to do with creating a proper deficit) and if you think that fat loss can just magically come off of your trouble spots, then you should be reading up on the science of fat loss as a start.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    i dont know how anyone has the will power to eat 1 tbsp at a sitting lol , i eat a jar in 2-3 days. easy lol...as long as you log it and keep in a deficit, you should lose

<===== ironic my profile picture is what I do to pb!!