safe detox method

Options
I've been interested in doing a detox type formula in addition to n dieting and exercise but some of the recipes and recommendations online seem very unhealthy and even dangerous. I can't afford to eat nothing for 4 days because my job has me on my feet all day so i need some healthy energy coming in somewhere. So I was curious if there are any good tricks to do the detox while still eating a smaller amount of calories each day or eating small meals throughout the day, something to that effect.

Replies

• mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    To be completely honest, I don't think that detox of any sort are healthy. You are best sticking to a healthy diet with the calories provided on the site, and drinking a lot of water to flush out the toxins. That's my personal opinion! Good luck to you!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Your body is designed to detox itself - that is what the liver and kidneys and your digestive system do. Eat healthy, get enough fiber, drink enough water, get some exercise and your body will handle the rest. There are no credible studies I am aware of that show your body builds up the kind of toxins that these "detox" plans say they get rid of.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Here's a general guideline for one that I'm hoping to try:
    6-7am: a piece of fruit
    30 min-one hour later: 1 cup of organic cooked grains (such as amaranth, buckwheat, brown rice, millet, or quinoa)
    mid-morning snack: 1 cup of vegetable water leftover from steaming veggies, reheated w/ salt
    lunch: steam 4 cups of raw veggies and save the water (ex: 1 cup carrots, 1 cup celery, 1 cup kale, 1 cup asparagus...)
    afternoon snack: drink 1 cup of the leftover steaming water w/ a dash of salt
    dinner: same as lunch

It's the best I've found thus far because it allows starches and grains that are full of protein, so you're not as deprived as those ridiculous liquid detoxes.
    Here's the website I got it from, which has more details if you're interested:
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NAH/is_3_33/ai_104836632/pg_2/?tag=content;col1
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Here's a general guideline for one that I'm hoping to try:
    6-7am: a piece of fruit
    30 min-one hour later: 1 cup of organic cooked grains (such as amaranth, buckwheat, brown rice, millet, or quinoa)
    mid-morning snack: 1 cup of vegetable water leftover from steaming veggies, reheated w/ salt
    lunch: steam 4 cups of raw veggies and save the water (ex: 1 cup carrots, 1 cup celery, 1 cup kale, 1 cup asparagus...)
    afternoon snack: drink 1 cup of the leftover steaming water w/ a dash of salt
    dinner: same as lunch

It's the best I've found thus far because it allows starches and grains that are full of protein, so you're not as deprived as those ridiculous liquid detoxes.
    Here's the website I got it from, which has more details if you're interested:
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NAH/is_3_33/ai_104836632/pg_2/?tag=content;col1

This sounds very low in calories. I hope you're not planning on doing this for very long.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Sorry duplicate post...
  • josephbales
    Options
    "Detox" is a myth. If there is something bad in your body, your liver will take care of it. The best thing to do if you are concerned about your health is to eat a proper and nutritious diet. This will give your body the fuel it needs to work correctly which is what you are going for. The idea that toxins are stored up in your body and can be purged through fasting, weird diets, or magic pills has no scientific backing that I am aware of. These are just claims made by people trying to sell you something.

If you are still worried about your body, go see a doctor and get some blood work done to make sure everything is okay.
  • sheenabe
    sheenabe Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have done the Wild rose Detox. It is a 12 day plan and for me it was awesome. The first and second day were hard for me because of the caffeine withdrawls but after that I felt fantastic. It works for me as a jump start into healthier eating again as I find it "detoxes" me from the sugary crap that I have been eating. I have posted the link for you... :) good luck. Oh yeah if you decide to try it get a copy of the recipe book and try the lentil dahl....ummmm to die for!

http://www.wildrosedetox.net/
  • massahwahl
    Options
    Thank you! This is more what I was looking for sheenabe. I never intended to do any magic pills or junk like that, just looking for a healthy jumping off point for my more strict diet that didn't involve starving myself. I know there are a lot of myths around the detox stuff but I have had friends who have done the very hardcore ones and reported feeling pretty good after they completed it. I think part of it is mind over matter but the idea of eating foods that naturally 'cleanse' your insides does not sound crazy at all.