Is this protein powder legitimate?

Options
Ive been carrying a lot of what i think is water retention as i gain 3 kg in a week. Ive tried upping my water intake lowering salt intake and nothing has worked, if anything its got worse. It was only after being at the gym and talking to a friend about this weight gain that he suggested it was my protein shakes giving me the belly and swollen ankles ive got. I reserached it a bit and heard people for and against the statement, but ultimately it is all about calories in vs calorie out.

I then went on to find the nutritional information for the protein shakes I use and discovered something that left me shocked.
On the nutritional information it says that 100 GRAMS HAS 13000 MG OF SODIUM!!! and no i didnt just make a typo!

Is this possible or have the company made a total mess of the label? This would clarify why i cant shed this water weight as i am having about 60 grams worth of this powder in a day.

Please help because im fairly new to the using protein powder thing.

Replies

• danielwillis22
    Options
    Here is the link to the label.

http://psychoprotein.com/ebay/images/pea.jpg
  • michaelgagliano10
    Options
    You should get in touch with the company - or just switch to a well-known brand to be safe.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    One serving @ 30 g of powder will put you at 3900 mg of sodium. Yeah, I'd ditch that like yesterday and see if you stop retaining water so bad. Especially if you are noticing swollen ankles. Give it a week to level out and find a better powder with less sodium.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I would stop taking it and see what happens

http://www.psychogym.net/1/post/2011/04/psycho-protein.html

I saw this....
  • danielwillis22
    Options
    well I have their other protein powder which is soy protein and it only has 1200mg in 100 grams of powder which is acceptable.The plan is to stay off all protein powder for a few days and just eat a few boiled eggs instead.
    Is it actually possible for their to be that much sodium in the product or is it more likely to be a typo?