Am I eating too much peanut butter?

Options
124»

Replies

• TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I think the important debate here is how do you measure your peanut butter?

Bread/spoon on scale, tare then put peanut butter on until you get your weight

or

Put jar on scale, tare then scoop out peanut butter until negative weight is how much you want.

I never thought about putting the jar of peanut butter on the scale and weighing that way.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options

or

Put jar on scale, tare then scoop out peanut butter until negative weight is how much you want.

I never thought about putting the jar of peanut butter on the scale and weighing that way.
    Both ways are equally valid as both result in the happy nomming of a known quantity of delicious nut butter. :)
  • ElliSwan
    ElliSwan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but try to only eat natural peanut butter. I absolutely love peanut butter, but I hated the extra sugar and chemicals so I switched to the natural stuff. It isn't generally more expensive, and I think it tastes better.
  • maryetamfp
    maryetamfp Posts: 70 Member
    Options

This. I put the slice of bread and only then, start the scale. So, it brings 0 so then I can just put the peanut butter and get the accurate amount. I do this with pretty much everything, put empty plate there, then start it and weight.

Hope it helps!
  • LauraBest2013
    LauraBest2013 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I go through a kilogram of Meridian Natural Peanut Butter (literally just blended peanuts, nothing else added) every month!
    I put whatever I'm spreading it on, on the scales then zero and measure it that way. Or if dunking apple or banana in it, I weight out a set amount onto a plate or bowl first. It's great for hitting fat and protein macros and boosting cals.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Today for breakfast I had a cup of raisin bran cereal with sliced banana, and I put about a tablespoon of peanut butter on the banana in the cereal. For lunch I have a turkey sandwich on whole wheat, vanilla chobani 100, and a banana(and I brought about 2 tbs of peanut butter to dip the banana slices in. That's around 3 tablespoons. I may even have more as a snack. Am I eating to much peanut butter? I'm trying to lose weight from my thighs/ upper legs. Thanks!
    :
    Love me some PB and it can def add up. The 'serving size' for me is small so I have to watch it or I will have 3 in one setting!

My wife hates it but I love to have "peanut butter spoon" for a snack...just a big ole spoonful of PB!!!!\

If you love PB...try this (not real healthy but amazing.

1 cup PB.
    1 cup karo syrup.
    Mix well.

1.25 cup powdwered sugar.
    1.25 cup evaporated/dried milk

Mix together, put into a glass pan and refigerate.

PUre heaven.

and you will hate me for the recipe
  • BonecrusherBrews
    BonecrusherBrews Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as too much peanut butter IIFYM, but you should weigh the peanut butter, not just log it by tablespoons.

Can you explain this? Is a tablespoon no longer a tablespoon or an inaccurate form of measuring?
    I can easily cram a tablespoon and a half of almond butter into a single dip of a teaspoon. Weighing is mandatory.
    ETA: Unless you're BonecrusherBrews, who just needs to freaking eat something once in a while. :bigsmile:

I just can't imagine getting to the point where I'm weighing my food. It seems too OC for me. A tablespoon (give or take) will probably always be good enough in my book. I also don't log a 5 minute walk from the car to the grocery store. But, to each his/her own.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter. but it is very calorie dense. 2 tablespoons (or the weight equivalent of a serving) is nearly 200 calories. If you think about how much fish or turkey or egg whites you can eat for 200 calories--there is quite a difference in volume. But, hey, peanut butter is delicious and so we make adjustments to fit it in...or not. Also, since peanut butter is quite calorie dense...a little extra or miscalculation can really add up. and it is sooooo easy to take more than intended or to miscalculate (imagining myself sitting on floor in front of refrigerator with peanut butter and spoon in hand). :)
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as too much peanut butter IIFYM, but you should weigh the peanut butter, not just log it by tablespoons.

Can you explain this? Is a tablespoon no longer a tablespoon or an inaccurate form of measuring?

Ask 5 people to take a tablespoon of peanut butter and you will get 5 very different measurements. Weight is the best uniform caloric indicator for solid foods.

Got it. Thanks :)
    Getting the peanut butter off your scale though is tricky. Unless you don't mind somebody seeing you licking the scale.

And for this reason i've never weighed it. And seem to have done alright.

My digital scale, what I do is put the empty tablespoon on the scale... Hit the "tare" button... take the spoon and dip it out of the jar (keeping in mind the scale is reading negative grams), then put the spoon back on the scale... VOILA! Peanut butter that has been accurately weighed.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I just ordered PB2. I usually avoid nut butters because it's too calorie dense and doesn't leave enough room for what I need to eat.Those who are 61" or less nearing 50 yo will know what I mean.
    I've heard great things about PB2 and there's a lot of "diet" recipes out there using it.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options

I can easily cram a tablespoon and a half of almond butter into a single dip of a teaspoon. Weighing is mandatory.
    ETA: Unless you're BonecrusherBrews, who just needs to freaking eat something once in a while. :bigsmile:

I just can't imagine getting to the point where I'm weighing my food. It seems too OC for me. A tablespoon (give or take) will probably always be good enough in my book. I also don't log a 5 minute walk from the car to the grocery store. But, to each his/her own.
    I was just teasing you, Brews, based on our exchange and your frequent deficits. :drinker:
    To each his/her own exactly. :smile: For my part, I've found that precision is a bit more important in maintenance than in weight loss because the margin of error equals a gain. A couple teaspoons of nut butter is about 60 calories; three tablespoons is 240. If I overeat by 180 calories every day, I'll gain about 18-20 pounds in a year.
    Weighing food at home is actually very quick and easy, once you get the hang of it. I take restaurants' nutrition information at face value, but I do aim for precision where I can get it.
  • JulsiePie
    JulsiePie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm! As long as it fits in your calories, go for it!!

As far as measuring/weighing, I used to use a tablespoon...until I weighed it out on bread. My jar said 15 grams is a tablespoon....well, my tablespoon amount weighed 19 grams! :-( Now I weigh it always....
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options

If you love PB...try this (not real healthy but amazing.

1 cup PB.
    1 cup karo syrup.
    Mix well.

1.25 cup powdwered sugar.
    1.25 cup evaporated/dried milk

Mix together, put into a glass pan and refigerate.

PUre heaven.

and you will hate me for the recipe

Yum. Needs oats though :D. I have a similar recipe with honey but honey is the most expensive thing in the grocery store I think so I'm definitely trying this.. I'm gonna make it for my boys. Two of them eat soooo much peanut butter. I'd weigh a 1000 pounds, ha!
  • ciriusfitness
    ciriusfitness Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    www.supertracker.usda.gov
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Just FYI, peanuts are not nuts. They're legumes. Some sources say the oil isn't quite as healthy as real nut oil.