Okay so I lifted and there's no calculated calories?

Badger1201
Badger1201 Posts: 24
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Where's the calories go I burned lifting? Program seems to only list cardio burn...am I missing something?

Replies

• craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    it's under strength training.
  • Go to the cardio section and search "strength training (weight lifting). It gives you the option to input the amount of time and estimates a calorie burn. it is not perfect but if gives you something. I was concerned about this as well but as the website explains people lift weights at very different paces and it is tough to assign a specific calorie burn depending on the amount of rest between sets etc.
  • I thought it strange when I could add individual excercises but no caloric count appeared. Thanks for the tips! Now I can use that area for things like machine settings and such.
  • Go to the cardio section and search "strength training (weight lifting). It gives you the option to input the amount of time and estimates a calorie burn. it is not perfect but if gives you something. I was concerned about this as well but as the website explains people lift weights at very different paces and it is tough to assign a specific calorie burn depending on the amount of rest between sets etc.

it's also cause of the intensity of each individuals workout.. your best bet is to use the strength training option under Cardio to log it, but get yourself a HRM w/ a belt better reading, and more accurate than the estimate it gives on here.
  • Guesstimates are OK. It makes me work harder to make sure it comes off.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    It's because weight training doesn't actually burn that many calories while you're doing the exercises. The number of calories the MFP calculator tells you that you burned is grossly inflated. Every work out varies due to the amount of weight, the number of reps and the amount of rest in between.

I no longer count my weight training under cardio for the simple fact that it isn't cardio, it doesn't burn many calories and I don't want to be eating those exercise calories. I've also heard from many people that wearing a HRM while lifting weights does not give accurate results.
  • So how does the Human Resource Manager feel about being strapped to people? Sorry, just had too.

I understand what you are saying, just not sure what a HRM is.
This discussion has been closed.