What do you put on your pancakes?

Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
I have a love/hate relationship with pancakes. Love them, but I often find them too bland on their own (and I've tried probably 8 different recipes in the last months), so I have to add syrup... and that often makes me go over at the end of the day, as it's pretty much empty calories.

So... is there any other option out there that would add some favor but not a bazillion 'empty' calories?

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Butter and Maple Syrup. I'm a rebel.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Whipped cream and berries.

SF syrup.

BACON!
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Peanut Butter & Jelly
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Walden Farms syrup is calorie free, and it's actually good. A little more watery than 'regular' syrup but not a big deal.

Cary's sugar free syrup is another option - I think it's 30 calories for .25 cup.

But I enjoy white chocolate and sprinkles on my pancakes. I eat them as a dessert.
  • lindsaymarcin
    lindsaymarcin Posts: 81 Member
    strawberries with lite whip cream :)
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    banana, peanut butter, honey
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Peanut Butter & Jelly

This is pure genius! I use sugar free syrup.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Sugar free maple syrup.
  • Francl27
    I think I'm going to have to give in and get sugar free maple syrup... What brand do you recommend?
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Can you add more vanilla extract to the batter? Or fruit? Fruit juice? Mmmm some pineapple juice sounds DELICIOUS!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Maple syrup and a lot of butter. Or strawberries and whipped cream with butter.
  • kuntry_navySD
    kuntry_navySD Posts: 106 Member
    chunky peanut butter and maple syrup
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    I don't put anything ON my pancakes. I add spices to the mix. Pumpkin pie spice or (my fave) ground cardamom.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Dark chocolate peanut butter and mixed berries
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Unsweetened applesauce. Yum!
  • Francl27
    Can you add more vanilla extract to the batter? Or fruit? Fruit juice? Mmmm some pineapple juice sounds DELICIOUS!

Usually I add vanilla extract and fruit, but still. Not the same without some syrup, lol.

I've done whipped cream too, but by the time I was done, it was almost as many calories as the syrup (although more nutritious at least).
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    I think I'm going to have to give in and get sugar free maple syrup... What brand do you recommend?

Never, ever use sf maple syrup. Use the real stuff. It's worth it.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    my mouth.
  • SillaWinchester
    SillaWinchester Posts: 363 Member
    I have so many different combos;

PB2 (a peanut butter with 80% less fat and sometimes it tastes better than peanut butter.)
    ^ With Syrup or berries

Peanut butter
    ^ with Syrup or berries

Squished up strawberries
    Cream Cheese w/ sugar twin

Peanut butter w/ unsweetened cocoa powder & Sugar twin
    ^either alone or with berries

My grandpa mashes up bananas and cinnamon to taste

So many options. Now I'm hungry for pancakes.

EDIT: Also it tastes delicious when you add a splash of vanilla and a sprinkle of cinnamon to the batter mix. Don't even need anything ON your pancakes when you do that.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member

Never, ever use sf maple syrup. Use the real stuff. It's worth it.
    +1

I have pancakes probably 28 mornings a month (occasionally I want biscuits). Either plain, buttermilk, blueberry, or my own pumpkin recipe. Syrup is always on top, with a side of bacon or sausage. Sometimes there's milk, yogurt, or a protein shake.

If I had a waffle iron, I'd make waffles every other morning.