how long do you wait before you go to sleep?

Options

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You should generally sleep after 2-3 hours because eating food and then immediately sleeping will cause your body to store your dinner as fat.

this thread is 92,000 years old and you used it to post your very first bit of wrong information

^^ and this. :laugh:
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Lots of fitness myth going on in this thread. You can eat right before bed. Net energy balance for the day is what matters. Calories in vs calories out. If you burn 2500 calories in a day, and eat 2000, no matter when you eat them, the body has to use something for that 500 calories you aren't feeding it. If you eat a lot of your daily calories right before bed they may indeed be stored as fat, but during the day when you were active and obviously weren't consuming all your calories (since you saved them for before bed), what do you think the body was using for energy? The net result will still be fat loss even though some of the food eaten right before bed might be stored,

TLDR nutrient timing is far less important then total calories/macros for the day
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Why do so many people think that eating before bed is this major thing to avoid?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Oh dammit....suckered in by ancient thread yet again.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    however long it takes to get from the kitchen to your bed.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Always give it at least 24 hours
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Thought this thread was going to be about how long do you wait after sex before going to sleep.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Sometimes I eat in bed.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Sometimes I eat in bed.

I don't like crumbs in my sheets...
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Sometimes I eat in bed.

I don't like crumbs in my sheets...

I have a hoover, otherwise known as a Lab. No crumbs survive.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It's good to know that 5 years ago, most MFP advice was just as terrible as it is today.
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    It's good to know that 5 years ago, most MFP advice was just as terrible as it is today.

Excellent point
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

You find the silver lining in everything. :drinker:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

It's kinda comforting. Just like when someone necromances a mean people thread, and I rest assured that MFP isn't really going down in flames-- it's always been this way.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    First post bumping a 5 year old thread...I feel sketchy just being in here
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Always give it at least 24 hours

At least. Maybe longer just to be certain.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

You find the silver lining in everything. :drinker:

It's a gift, what can I say :P
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    I just make sure I swallow before I go to sleep, so I don't choke

LOLOLOLOLOLOL cheers to that!!! :drinker:
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Well, generally you should not eat anything after 7pm. And laying down or resting/sleeping right after a meal is a no-no as far as I know.
    I usually eat dinner between 4-5pm. I dont go lay down or go to sleep until after 11pm.

This is a lie.

You can eat and go straight to bed if you really want. I rarely do because I eat in the early evening and going to bed at the time would be ridiculous.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    How long should i stay up after I eat dinner? I like to lay down after I eat, but i usually stay up reading or watching Tv for a good hour or two....should i try and stay out of the bed for those 2 hours before sleep or is it okay?
    Unless you have indigestion related to lying down or sleeping after eating, you can go to sleep immediately if you want to.