Protein-filled breakfast ideas?

Options
I need to find better quick protein-packed breakfast ideas. Something I can make a routine and prepare without using lots of pots and pans or taking up too much time before work.
My current breakfast is almost always plain oatmeal - which is healthy and full of fiber but is all carbs. I've tried greek yogurt, which is good but doesn't fill me up very much. Any other ideas?

Replies

• srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My husband takes pre-cooked, grilled chicken breast and puts it on a whole wheat bun, and then zaps it in the microwave before leaving the house - and he eat it on his way to work.
  • jwalters1805
    jwalters1805 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I eat the banquet brown n serve turkey sausage links. 110 calories for 3 links and it only takes a couple minutes in the microwave.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a protein shake as long as you aren't hungry. 22g of protein, 100 calories or so
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Scrambled eggs in the microwave- I just put'em in a coffee mug, mix'em with veggies and nuke for like a minute
  • jenmacha
    jenmacha Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been stirring a tablespoon of peanut butter into the plain oatmeal. Works pretty well and I find it easier to put up with than plain oatmeal by itself.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Eggs. Seriously - they're wonderful. It doesn't take that long to fry up an egg or two - I've even cooked them over easy (so the whites are cooked but they yolks aren't) and stirred that into oatmeal - really good! Scrambled eggs take a little more time (but still not long) and you can mix in some egg whites with whole eggs to boost your protein. They also make really convenient omelet-cookers that go in your microwave and cooks it really quickly. You can also hardboil a half-dozen (or whole dozen) ahead of time on the weekends or whenever is convenient and keep those in the fridge - quick and easy!
  • sunleigh
    sunleigh Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i would just scramble up an egg really quick and buy microwavable bacon, roll it in a whole wheat tortilla, the egg will take all fo 2 mintues. we have a little egg pan we use and it is quick to clean up. we also use eas whey protein shakes in the magic bullet with a banana, water and ice. that is yummy and a great boost in the morning
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    When I don't want to cook I make a protein shake. I use Bluebonnet soy protein shake powder, it's the only one I've been able to find that doesn't use artificial sweeteners and still tastes good. I put one scoop into 2 cups of milk. It's around 350 calories and keeps me full until lunch.

When I do cook I like to make a breakfast burrito with 1 large egg, 1/2 cup hashbrowns, 1/4 whole pinto beans, 1 oz cheddar cheese, a little onion and/or green chile, and 2 Tbsp sour cream, 1 flour tortilla. It's about 500 calories, but it's extremely filling. I eat it on my exercise days when I know I'll have some extra calories.
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My weekday mornings are super hectic, so I like to buy a dozen eggs just to boil on Saturday or Sunday night. I will boil them all, peel them and put them in little plastic baggies so that I can just grab a couple and go. At nights, before I go to bed, I the following in the blender carafe: 4 oz each frozen strawberries, blueberries and mango with 4 oz of pomegranate juice and 4 oz of almond milk (or soy, if you prefer). Then, in the morning, I toss in half a frozen banana, frappe, pour into my "grown up sippy cup", grab my eggs and head out!!
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    not a big breakfast person anyways.
    i have a protein shake.
    i use oh yea's rtds.

32 g protein, 220 (iirc) calories.
  • psychgrl01
    psychgrl01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love, love, LOVE the breakfast burritos I've been making ahead of time! I use either eggs or egg substitute or a combination of the two and scramble them up. Then I use either turkey breakfast sausage or turkey bacon and cook it. I put a helping of each on a tortilla (I've used both whole wheat and regular and I prefer the regular taste) with a little cheese, mushrooms, tomatoes, whatever you like! Then I roll it up like a burrito and wrap it in either plastic wrap or aluminum foil and stick them in the freezer. I grab one on the way to work and nuke it for about 2 minutes. SO GOOD!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I came across quaker oatmeal pancake mix that makes 6 pancakes per batch (1/4 cup batter per pancake) and 2 pancakes are 1 serving. I've made up two batches on a weekend and then put 2 pancakes per sandwich bag and stick them in the fridge for quick breakfasts during the week for my husband and I. Served w/ 2 tbsp real maple syrup and they'll fill you up until lunch and they're low cal!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, turkey bacon or sausage(precook), and salsa rolled in a whole wheat tortilla or on piece of whole wheat toast or just by itself! YUM! and fairly fast to prepare!

or I will sometimes do a whey protein/fruit smoothie in the blender!
  • yumcheese
    yumcheese Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wow! So many good ideas already. Thank you! Keep 'em coming!
  • sd59940
    sd59940 Posts: 27
    Options
    (For a real quick meal, protein shakes are delicious with a teaspoon of all natural peanut butter. Crushed Ice works the best and blend. )

Here is what I eat for a Protein packed breakfast.

I know asked for quick but if you pre cut your vegetables it doesn’t take long. Cut them and put them in a bowl and cover the night before. Takes about 15 minutes. Also use one less whole egg if it’s too much protein.

Calories Carbs Fat Protein

337 13 18 30

Ingredients: 2 large eggs and 1 egg white, 1 oz. lean deli style turkey meat, spinach, onions, bell pepper and low fat mozzarella cheese, Pam non stick cooking olive oil spray.

Mix two whole large eggs and one egg white only in a bowl. Chop your vegetables and 1 oz. lean turkey deli meat. On a low heat pour the egg in a pan that has been sprayed olive oil. In a separate pan fry the vegetables and meat. I wait and put the spinach in last, so it won’t get saturated and shrink. Pour your vegetables and meat in the omelet and add the cheese. Lastly add the spinach and close the omelet. Flip the omelet once then serve.
  • sourapple99
    sourapple99 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    you could try the cereal called go lean it's very high in protein and low in carbs...it also tastes quite ok
  • heathey
    Options
    I mix egg whites & oatmeal, add a little cinnamon then scramble. Sounds weird but tastes good.

Mix some natural peanut butter into oatmeal is another good one!

I'm loving the ideas on this string!
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    Thanks for all the awesome ideas, as I am trying to have lower carb meals for breakfast and lunch. Would love to hear some more...
  • megteg
    megteg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite breakfast items is the 3-minute Breakfast Burrito Recipe I got from the Incredible Egg website. It's SUPER fast and uses very little dishes!

Basically, you start with a tortilla in a bowl, break an egg in it, and scramble with a fork. Microwave for 30 seconds, take out, scramble up again with the fork, and then continue microwaving/scrambling for 15 second intervals until the egg is the consistency you like. Add cheese, a little salsa (or other toppings), fold up, and you're good to go!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I toss about 85g of whatever leftover protein I have from dinner (cooked chicken, tofu, or whatever else) into some sautéd veggies (onion, pepper, broccoli, green beans, spinach anything works) and heat through, add 1/4cup of Naturegg Simply Egg Whites and cook for another 2 mins. If the meat protein was cooked in some kind of marinade or rub (likely since I don't eat much of anything plain) then that should carry over into my breakfast. Some days if I want to be extra prepared, I cook enough veggies for 2 mornings and store the sautéd veg with the protein for the next morning in the fridge, re-heat in the pan for a few mins and then add the egg whites. For an extra nutritional kick, I add 1 Tbsp of nutritional yeast.

Another staple for the low-carb aficionado (you can find this recipe all over MFP - I take no credit at all) -- Protein Pancakes. Toss 1/4cup cottage cheese, 2 egg whites, 1/4 cup oats and 1/2 tsp each cinnamon and vanilla extract into a food processor and blend until smooth. Makes 2 small pancakes and its super filling. Top with natural PB, jam, honey, fruit, whatever you like. Can also sub the cottage cheese for pumpkin puree for less sodium but also less protein and more carbs.

On mornings when that is too much work, 1/2 cup of fruit + 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese and 2 Tbsp of walnuts with a dash of cinnamon works.

Or a protein smoothie - My fave is 1 cup almond milk, 1 scoop chocolate whey, 1 tbsp natural PB, 1 large handful of spinach, 140g frozen strawberries and 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries (optional). Very filling and surprisingly delicious.

Good luck! I'm definitely enjoying all the ideas in this thread as well - so thanks!