Exercising with Eczema

Options
Behxo
Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
Okay so I am 23 years old, I have had eczema for my entire life and have always been off and on with weight loss because of how badly it is triggered sometimes. It feels like I've tried everything to try and keep it at bay including doctor steroid prescriptions but have discontinued using them because they severely thinned my skin from so much use. I try to mainly use hydrocortisone now, take fish oil pills, oatmeal baths and use any natural moisturizing cream to help soothe.(like lotions that are supposed to be used for a baby)

I love to exercise and TRY to get it in at least 5 times a week but that also backfires because sweat and eczema DO NOT get along what so ever (itches, burns, extremely irritated) and showering so often makes it even worse. Feels like you're kind of trapped sometimes but I refuse to give up this time... I try to take it easy and just go for walks, something that won't make me sweat but still get my body moving but sometimes I really want to feel the burn and get a great work out in... I'm just curious, who else deals with this, what stories/advice do you have to share? Thank you for reading :flowerforyou: :heart:

Replies

• ToBeThatGirlIDreamOf
    ToBeThatGirlIDreamOf Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have the identical issue, I just try to exercise when its cooler, like at morning and in the late afternoon. Not scratching would help if I had some self control :P try to wait and just shower after your workout to cut down so many showers. There's not much we can really do other than that :\
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Well exercising "hard" and sweating pretty much go hand in hand. Hard exercise raises body temperature and your body is just reacting to cool it self faster.
    I actually had a friend with Eczema take up ice skating and it's seemed to work for her.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Have you tried not using anything with hydro-cortisone/steroids in it? Long term use of both can actually make the problem worse. It's almost like an addictive property similar to nasal spray. It works well using a short course of it but with continual use can actually make the symptoms worse.

I stopped using it years ago and only use organic extra virgin coconut oil on my skin. My flare ups are few and far between and are usually caused by something I've done to irritate my skin.
  • sharnut751
    sharnut751 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I too have eczema that flares from various things but definitely sweat from exercising. I've found that if I lightly dust my eczema-prone areas with a bit of baby powder, it helps to soak up some of the sweat and I'm not nearly as itchy or irritated as I was before the powder. This isn't a permanent fix (which I have yet to find) but it does help a bit. Good luck!
  • Behxo
    Options
    Thank you for the advice guys, I think I might try out that baby powder idea tonight :]
  • oxsarahhxo
    oxsarahhxo Posts: 51
    Options
    I swearrr by baby powder for this problem. really helps, hope you can find relief
  • Behxo
    Options
    I swearrr by baby powder for this problem. really helps, hope you can find relief

thank you, definitely will :]