Benefits of detox?

Options
Cladf
Cladf Posts: 60 Member
Hey everyone, I've recently been working out more and more (and loving it!) and trying hard to start properly logging food to make sure I'm staying in the right calorie levels but wondering if there are benefits (more health, than weight loss) to going on a detox for a few days?

There's so much conflicting advice everywhere that this place has become my go-to for advice. I feel like my body could do with a wee boost to get my properly into the healthier eating way and a detox sounds like it might be a good idea, but don't want to do anything which could be bad for me.

My weight isn't moving much at the moment but I'm putting this down to poor food choices and not religiously logging food (something which I'm trying to do from now on) but having previously eaten a lot of fast-food, processed food and drinking alcohol too regularly, I think my body could really just benefit from a bit of a cleanse.

Any recommendations on decent detox/cleanse plans to use, or general advice? Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    There are no benefits of detoxing. Sorry. Your body "cleanses" itself. No need to kick start anything.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

My weight isn't moving much at the moment but I'm putting this down to poor food choices and not religiously logging food

YES
    but having previously eaten a lot of fast-food, processed food and drinking alcohol too regularly, I think my body could really just benefit from a bit of a cleanse.

NO
  • Cladf
    Options
    There are no benefits of detoxing. Sorry. Your body "cleanses" itself. No need to kick start anything.

Thanks! This is why I thought this place would be the best place to ask :)
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

QFT
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Awesome. Most OP's in this topic tend to get butthurt. You didn't, you're awesome.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Here's some good links that may help.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

Awesome. Most OP's in this topic tend to get butthurt. You didn't, you're awesome.
    Hi-fives for OP for listening to reasonable and logical advice!

High-Five-GIF-1.gif

EnTbOoT.gif
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    There is one bona fide benefit to a detox, which is psychological. In my research, for people that have reported success with detoxes, those ended up serving as more of a ceremony to say goodbye ot unhealthy behaviors of the past, etc. The detox itself was not of benefit.

For many people it is counterproductive, because they cannot maintain the damaging 'detox' diet for long, and once they fail, they gain the weight back.
  • Cladf
    Options

Thanks everyone for the really quick replies :)

And graceisjinxed - thanks! :) I'm so new to this that I know about 0% of the right things to do so just happy to be getting advice from folks who are in the know :) I'll check out those links just now... also, what does "QFT" mean?
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

Thanks everyone for the really quick replies :)

And graceisjinxed - thanks! :) I'm so new to this that I know about 0% of the right things to do so just happy to be getting advice from folks who are in the know :) I'll check out those links just now... also, what does "QFT" mean?

"quoted for truth" to emphasize agreement with a point in a succinct manner.

I am impressed by you OP. Not many people ask questions looking for input, but rather, to justify a decision already made.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    QFT - Quote for Truth
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    High-Five-GIF-1.gif

My all time favorite high five gif
  • Cladf
    Options

"quoted for truth" to emphasize agreement with a point in a succinct manner.

I am impressed by you OP. Not many people ask questions looking for input, but rather, to justify a decision already made.

Thank you :) I've been reading through these forums for a wee while and I'm learning so much as I go but I definitely bow down to everyone here who knows better than me... :)

Also - LOVE the high-five gif :D
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Unless you have liver disease or elevated enzymes from too much alcohol, there is simply no reason your liver needs detox. Same with the thyroid.
    It probably does make your stomach flatter but that's just because you're eating almost nothing for a couple of days.
    The ketosis you create could make you feel better ( it can cause a "high" feeling).
    Simply no evidence whatsoever to the benefits of detox.
  • Cladf
    Options
    Unless you have liver disease or elevated enzymes from too much alcohol, there is simply no reason your liver needs detox. Same with the thyroid.
    It probably does make your stomach flatter but that's just because you're eating almost nothing for a couple of days.
    The ketosis you create could make you feel better ( it can cause a "high" feeling).
    Simply no evidence whatsoever to the benefits of detox.

Thanks - it's amazing how much conflicting advice there is when I google these things but it's great to get meaningful advice from people on here :)

Definitely not going to bother with the detox, just going to go with religiously logging all food and drink and trust in the system :)
  • fauxpunker
    fauxpunker Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Well... this took a surprising turn. And for the better.

"Thanks - it's amazing how much conflicting advice there is when I google these things "

Always look for the sales pitch and you can spot a huckster every time :-)
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of conflicting evidence because people want to sell you something, or truly believe it due to the placebo affect and the weight loss they saw by going on what amounted to a semi-starvation diet.

After all the threads where the person is just looking for validation for a bad decision, this thread gives me a tiny bit of faith in humanity.

tumblr_mbrnautP5N1r2mgd4.gif
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    OP didn't get butthurt. This means that this has to be a troll thread, right? Right?

No?

Daniel_Bryan_YES.gif