walking

Okay so I see a lot of posts about walking and losing weight but not very specific ones. Here's the information I would like to see when asking people if walking helps weight loss:

Miles-
pace-
weight lost-
how many months it took.

I am currently walking
13 miles
2-3 minute pace
10 pounds lost
my first month.

Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Calorie deficit will take the weight off, the walking will help that deficit but will not be the reason.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    I think your pace is a bit off or how did you calculate it?

A fast runner can do abut a five minute pace and us slower runners 12 minute pace. My walks are a 15 minute pace.

And are you talking miles per day/week/ or month?

Just trying to get clarification.....

Miles-
    pace-
    weight lost-
    how many months it took.

I am currently walking
    13 miles
    2-3 minute pace
    10 pounds lost
    my first month.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Okay so I see a lot of posts about walking and losing weight but not very specific ones. Here's the information I would like to see when asking people if walking helps weight loss:

Miles-
    pace-
    weight lost-
    how many months it took.

I am currently walking
    13 miles
    2-3 minute pace
    10 pounds lost
    my first month.

There's a series of videos called Walk Away the Pounds. Newer ones are titled Just Walk. You can read all kinds of testimonials here:

http://www.walkathome.com/

But Stroking is correct, it's all about calorie deficit. You can eat less or move more.....or some combination of the 2. Walking is great because it's something most people can do consistently. Consistency is what will help you keep the weight from creeping back up.

Here's a nice chart that gives calorie burn estimates.....speed helps

http://walking.about.com/cs/howtoloseweight/a/howcalburn.htm
  • Thank you for the responses.

Take 270 mins divided by 13.5 miles to get 20 mins per mile....then take 60 mins divided by 20 to get 3 mile per hour....

20 mins per mile....3 miles per hour

yes these are miles per day.
  • kdeana1958
    kdeana1958 Posts: 10
    so just to clarify. you walk 270 minutes per day? that is 4 1/2 hours per day? I guess I too am confused by your numbers.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    You are walking a 2 or 3 minute mile?
    That's pretty fast, even for a runner.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    weight loss = calories deficit

excercise (any excercise including walking) can contribute to a deficit
    for you health some excercise will be better than no excercise
    and more will be better than some

but excercise/walking won't help unless you are eating at a deficit overall (including exercise calories)

no matter how far/fast you walk/run/... if you're at surplus you'll gain and at maintenance you'll sustain (by definition)
  • A,) yes I walk 4 and a half hours at a total of 13-14 miles

B.) it's miles per hour. PER HOUR lol
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    A,) yes I walk 4 and a half hours at a total of 13-14 miles

B.) it's miles per hour. PER HOUR lol

Huge difference in 2-3 MPH and 2-3 minute per mile pace.

Net caloric burn for walking is in the neighborhood of (wt in lbs) x miles walked x .3 ... or about 60 calories per mile for a 200 lb person.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    I walk at 4 mph and average an hour a day of walking or more (so 4+miles). I burn around 90-100+ calories per mile.

That, combined with a proper caloric intake, I was able to drop 20 pounds over about 6 months.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Calorie deficit will take the weight off, the walking will help that deficit but will not be the reason.

Not true. Walk helps CREATE the caloric deficit, so it is the reason for many people. There are also the cardiovascular and other physical benefits.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member

Not true. Walk helps CREATE the caloric deficit, so it is the reason for many people. There are also the cardiovascular and other physical benefits.

How the deficit is created is irrelevant. Walk, run, swim, bike, kickbox, dance, hula hoop ... or even diet alone ... all that matters is that there is a deficit.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Why are you walking so much?
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    wow OP, I am impressed! Awesome results. Walking is excellent exercise.
  • Why do I walk so much? well I am going to college (6.2 miles away from my house) and I don't have a car. I figure its a win win because I am chunk and can stand to lose 70- 80 pounds.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    I used to cycle and/or walk to college

more activity is better than less activity

as you lose weight, the amount you burn walking the same distance at teh same speed will reduce, be ready and aware

you should try to re-set you calorie and macro tagets every 5lb or so loss
  • I plan on combating that with a weighted vest. I know the heavier you are the more you lose- right now I am just weighing down a backpack with water.