Confused by MILK

Options
k2d4p
k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
I really am confused by milk. I a lot drink 2% milk. I have a husband and 2 sons and we drink milk daily, almost every meal. I am troubled by the calories and basically all the nutrition info in milk. I am fairly new to this site and since I have been tracking what I eat I have been doing really well, except milk. The calories in milk usually send me really close to going over my calories for the day. Is milk bad for you? How can it be good for you with that many calories per serving?

I have tried skim milk before and I simply don't like it. It tastes like watered down milk to me.

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Milk is just fine. Studies have shown that people who drink 2 8oz glasses of milk a day lose more weight than those who don't drink it. Yeah, it has some calories, but going over by a few won't hurt.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I like almond breeze:
    60calories for regular / almond breeze 70 for vanilla

compared to Skim Milk 90 calories

Let me know if you find anything else..
  • RDTaylor13
    Options
    you could try switching to 1% milk instead. it will be healthier than 2%, and it tastes better than skim milk.
  • 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I believe everything in moderation and it's not the best idea to "drink" too many of your calories. ;)
  • mandalyn23
    mandalyn23 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was the same way...but I comprimised with myself and am now hooked on 1%. It doesn't taste like water, but has less calories than 2%. I also make sure I measure out what I am drinking/putting in my cereal...it was amazing how much over I was going with my servings. I drink a glass prior to eating and then I seem to feel fuller and I get to enjoy my milk :)

Good luck to you!
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i drink almond milk now..90 cals per serving. comparable to skim but tastes way better!
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Natures best food! I drink alot also and think it and fruit and veggie's make for a diet you feel great on. You have lost a lot of weight on this diet so it seems to be working for you!
  • mynameisdumbnuts
    Options
    Try switching to 1 percent. It tastes less rich than 2 percent, but way better than skim.
  • sandychoules
    Options
    Milk is terrible for you! Do some research, people think it's a great way to get calcuim when in fact it does the exact opposite. Try rice milk or almond milk it taste the same.
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I switched from 2% to 1% and that really seems to help. I am still lactose intolerant but I LOVE milk and will not give it up. LOL
  • apetty21
    apetty21 Posts: 137
    Options
    I drink organic fat free milk. 80 cal/cup. For some reason, I can't explain it, orgnaic fat free doesn't taste watery like non-organic. I have been able to successfully convert 3 other people to organic fat free. It's delicious!

Milk is very good for you. It is an important part of any diet. (Unless you are vegan, lactose intolerant or have been instructed by a Dr to avoid it)
  • DebbieW
    DebbieW Posts: 187
    Options
    I really am confused by milk. I a lot drink 2% milk. I have a husband and 2 sons and we drink milk daily, almost every meal. I am troubled by the calories and basically all the nutrition info in milk. I am fairly new to this site and since I have been tracking what I eat I have been doing really well, except milk. The calories in milk usually send me really close to going over my calories for the day. Is milk bad for you? How can it be good for you with that many calories per serving?

I have tried skim milk before and I simply don't like it. It tastes like watered down milk to me.

k2d4p: I used to be exactly like you, a 2% milk or go home kind of girl:drinker: . I have been successfully drinking skim milk for years now. It did take time to switch to where I am today.

First, I switched from 2% to 1% and I stayed drinking that for a long time until I was completely used to 1%. Then, I switched to skim milk. You could alternate between 1% and skim:drinker: until you get used to the taste of less fat in your milk.

Also, different brands will taste different also so don't stick only with one brand.

Milk is very good for you and study after study has proven that drinking milk as a part of our daily diet is a huge contributor to successfully loosing weight.:bigsmile:

Don't stop drinking milk!:drinker:

Good luck with gradually lessening the amount of animal fat in your milk. :flowerforyou:
  • odaatsue
    Options
    It's hard for me not to bring my own personal feelings into this....is that okay?

Think about it - cow milk is the nutrition meant for baby cows. Just like cat milk is meant for baby cats....dog milk for baby dogs... rat milk for baby rats....human milk for human babies. You get the idea. All babies grow up and they stop drinking their mother's milk.

Who stands to gain by convincing people that they *need* to drink milk? That would be the dairy people. Do they have your best interests in mind - or theirs?

I believe a whole industry is built upon the lies we've been told.

Just my very humble opinion! :flowerforyou:
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    I like 1% milk, but when training for long distance triathlons and sugar intake has to drop (lactose) I opt for almond milk. It still tastes good to me, and has less sugar, and therefore fewer calories per serving.
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    And I think you should beware of soy milk...look it up and see what it does to your thyroid. I used to eat/drink a lot of it on purpose (perimenopause symptoms) and although it claims to be healthy, I have a RD who verified it is not at all what it claims and I personally need to avoid it from here on out.
  • gennybunny
    Options
    I agree with odaatsue, as I have heard someone wise once say "why drink something that is meant to make baby cows fat" I drink almond milk and get my calcium from other sources.
    Genny
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    Odaatsue has a great point, but I love, love, LOVE it. I can't imagine not drinking milk and I usually have a glass a day (sometimes more). I do drink the skin milk, but it's because my youngest son had open-heart surgery when he was little and the repair they did to his heart puts him at a greater risk of heart disease, so I had to cut as much of his fat intake down as I could. So, I had really good reasons for switching over. Do what you feel best, but if it worries you that much do what the others suggest and try something different, like 1% or almond milk.
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    Odaatsue has a great point, but I love, love, LOVE it. I can't imagine not drinking milk and I usually have a glass a day (sometimes more). I do drink the skin milk, but it's because my youngest son had open-heart surgery when he was little and the repair they did to his heart puts him at a greater risk of heart disease, so I had to cut as much of his fat intake down as I could. So, I had really good reasons for switching over. Do what you feel best, but if it worries you that much do what the others suggest and try something different, like 1% or almond milk.

*skim* not skin. lol
  • sandychoules
    Options
    VERY WELL SAID AND VERY TRUE!!
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Milk is just fine. Studies have shown that people who drink 2 8oz glasses of milk a day lose more weight than those who don't drink it. Yeah, it has some calories, but going over by a few won't hurt.
    These studies are run by the milk counsels of various milk producing states. be a bit skeptical. Milk is good for you but like everything...moderation is key.

A word about milk...whole milk is about 3.5-4% milk fat, so whenever you see 2%, 1% think 66% whole and 33% whole. Skim is 0% whole but still has all the good stuff.