Pizza crust ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• lildebbie
    lildebbie Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    great...i was afraid it wouldn't come out that well with a regular cookie sheet....i can't wait to try this.
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Here was my solution to pizza:

These are individual pizzas.
    1 whole wheat tortilla
    1/4 C Pizza sauce (Ragu Homestyle)
    6 Turkey Pepperoni slices
    Canned mushroom slices
    Red onion diced
    Top with about 1/4 C Low Fat Mozzarella

Bake at 450 degrees 8 to 10 minutes.

Even my kids loved them!

Calorie content varies with toppings. This particular combination yielded about 400. One pizza was plenty, actually more than plenty for one person.
  • Christie422
    Christie422 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    We just used flatout bread tonight for the first time with veggie pizzas. It's only 100 calories and crisped really nicely. We will definitely be repeating that recipe.
    Katy

I agree with this one! I made really yummy pizza with the flatout bread, chicken, peppers and onions. I used boboli sauce, just about a tablespoon. Good stuff!
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    English muffin pizzas are pretty good!
  • ajcamber
    ajcamber Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Flatout Flatbread make amazing pizzas :)
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I have two ideas for you.

1. This isn't really crust, but it TOTALLY satisfies a pizza craving for me and, amazingly, everyone (including kids and picky eaters) I've ever made these for loves them. Skinnytaste.com's baked eggplant sticks. They are breaded with italian breadcrums and parm cheese and baked, then you dip in marinara. I always make these for dinner when I have the house to myself and just want to veg in front of the tv and snack. I'll eat half an eggplant (which I think is less than or right around 200 calories) and feel really full and happy. Plus they are easy.

2. emilybites.com also has a great deep dish pizza "casserole" that is light (calorie wise), meaty and yummy! Uses refridgerator crust spread out in a 9 by 13 baking dish, casserole style. I made a few varieties for the super bowl this year and everyone loved them. This one is also really really easy.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Eat your favourite pizza- just a lot less of it! It has worked for me and I have not had to comprise taste, just calories!

This. If you're in this for the long haul, IMO, you need to learn how to eat what you love in manageable quantities. Depriving yourself of something (again, IMO) is just going to cause binging or 'cheating'. If you are allowed the things you love, you can't 'cheat'.

Making room for pizza in my day (calorie wise) is very easy.

I do make my own pizza crust from a basic recipe but I leave out any sugar, halve the oil, and leave out all but 1/8 tsp of salt (I'm on a low sodium diet). I also stretch the servings a little. If it says it makes 1 12" pizza then I halve the dough (and freeze the second one for later use) and make a 10" pizza.

ETA: ONe alternative I found when I was in a hurry was Trader Joe's Garlic Naan. It makes the most wonderful mouth orgasmic pizza!
  • StephIntrepid
    StephIntrepid Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Homemade pizza dough - makes two pizzas, 16 servings (I recommend halving the recipe) 141 calories per serving
    1 tbsp salt
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp sugar
    1 tbsp yeast
    2 cups warm water
    4 1/2 cups flour

mix yeast, water, salt, oil, and sugar together, let stand until yeast bubbles up (about 10 min). Add in flour, mix until sticky ough forms, cover with plastic wrap, put in fridge for four hours. Remove from fridge, roll out on a lightly floured surface, or use your fingers to stretch and shape dough to a pan, into a mini pizza shape, etc. Add toppings and bake at 500 for about 10 min, or until the crust is as crispy or not as you like. This is a favourite dinner for my family, because everyone gets to add what they like to their own mini pizzas and no one has to be subjected to my diet.

I top my pizza with tomato sauce (Hunt's tomato sauce is about 50 calories for 1/2 cup and I only use a half cup on the entire pizza, so this adds only about 6 calories a slice) and some mozzarella (Saputo Lite has 70 calories per 3cm cube). So, 1 piece of pizza from this hypothetical pie is about 217 calories. You can add more veggies to the pizza without adding many calories, or even some sliced ham for a scant few calories.

Hope this helps. I think I'm going to have pizza for dinner....
  • 12pillows
    12pillows Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Dunno if this is just for the UK pals, but the pizza express pizzas from tesco are great! Sloppy giuseppe one is about 600 cals for the whole thing!
  • LauraBest2013
    LauraBest2013 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I soak quinoa overnight and then blend with water to make a doughy paste. Bake and use as a pizza base, really filling and not nearly as damaging!

I blogged about making quinoa pizza earlier in the year :)http://laurabesto.tumblr.com/post/77295291303/quinoa-pizza
  • beachylove
    beachylove Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i use the Thomas Light Multi-Grain English Muffins, toast them lightly first then top with pizza topping goodness and bake. Makes delicious little pizzas and they are only 100 calories per muffin with 5g protein and 8g fiber so as long as your toppings aren't crazy you can have one for around 250 calories pair it up with a salad and its a full meal.