How manu calories are actually burned??

Options
So I know I can't get an answer unless I buy a FitBit or something and actually figure it out on my own....but I always just do MFP generic input for horse back riding - and I round about how many minutes I rode for and it gives me a number... but obviously you burn more jumping, or posting no stirrups, then you do just walking around. PLUS, Im a huge believer that once you do something for a while - you can work a percentage as hard to get the same results... IE I let a friend of my mom's hop on a school horse a while back. Shes a body pump instructor from Russia - very fit, very active. Just trying to stear the horse to the track in the ring was a workout for her - she was completely flustered in a matter of seconds just trying to maintain balance, stear, and not fall off. She said that it was by far, way harder than body pump or any other aerobic class she ever taught. And i think she came to this conclusion in less than 5 minutes of strugling.

Now, if I jump rope 5 times I get winded, never mind doing an actual aerobics class - but I can do a ten mile hunter pace in my half seat noooo problem.

My point is...she burned more calories than me Im sure, because I find ways to make it easy.... well, as easy as I can. I compromise what i ask my horse do do without even realizing it.... plus, I have the muscle memory.

So what do I burn? I generally brush my horse for bout 15 minutes then do about a 60 minute ride - about ten or so minutes is walking, the rest is trotting and cantering, and I barely ever drop my stirrups. I jump only about once a week. Then when I'm done I'm brushing of bathing her for another 20 minutes, then cleaning my tack for about ten minutes or so...

I don't count the walking time so i usually say I ride for about 45 minutes and am generally given an estimate of about 218 calories - but what does that mean? Has anyone actually used a FitBit or something to see how many calories they are actually burning??

Replies

• luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    FITBIT would probably be most accurate. I was told once 20 minutes of posting trot = 20 of aerobic exercise.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Fitbit will absolutely not give you an accurate measure of calories burned horseback riding - Fitbit only calculates step-based activity with any level of accuracy.
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    You have actually come across something that no one understands. This is why fitbits, HRM's and all those contraptions are stupid. Besides the fact that nothing knows how much you burn, it is also a relative measure.

A man the exact same size, weight, and age as me will burn differently running 3 miles if they have never in their life run 3 miles. I'll run it barely sweating, barely breathing hard, and just kinda getting worked into it, thinking, "that was nice", meanwhile he's on the ground gasping for breath and looking like he's ready to die. I think what would happen is my body is used to being stressed like that, and it's just adapted. The other guy isn't used to it, and that was a major thing to do, and there's all kinds of things going on inside his body. He probably burned twice as many calories. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I'm adapted to lots of exercise, the other guy is not; meaning, I burn less because I'm adapted to it.

The reason this is important is because HRM's and Fitbits, and all that just don't work in this scenario. They would have us burning the same amount. But, I burn less and he burns more. The answer is to find your TDEE and eat there, or below if losing. This way, you just exercise and eat. It doesn't matter, for each event or exercise, how much you burn. You're watching overall trends, not every single movement.

Totally agree - but i'd still like to have an idea, just for conversation sake - especially since my mom always tells me what an awesome core workout Im getting riding, and she can't grasp the concept that I do it every day so it's not hard, where she would be faliling around after 30 seconds...same way i tried to do a kickboxing class with her and was contemplating running head first into a wall after 2 minutes to knock myself out and she was smiling and punching happily, effortless and sweat-less!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You have actually come across something that no one understands. This is why fitbits, HRM's and all those contraptions are stupid. Besides the fact that nothing knows how much you burn, it is also a relative measure.

A man the exact same size, weight, and age as me will burn differently running 3 miles if they have never in their life run 3 miles. I'll run it barely sweating, barely breathing hard, and just kinda getting worked into it, thinking, "that was nice", meanwhile he's on the ground gasping for breath and looking like he's ready to die. I think what would happen is my body is used to being stressed like that, and it's just adapted. The other guy isn't used to it, and that was a major thing to do, and there's all kinds of things going on inside his body. He probably burned twice as many calories. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I'm adapted to lots of exercise, the other guy is not; meaning, I burn less because I'm adapted to it.

The reason this is important is because HRM's and Fitbits, and all that just don't work in this scenario. They would have us burning the same amount. But, I burn less and he burns more. The answer is to find your TDEE and eat there, or below if losing. This way, you just exercise and eat. It doesn't matter, for each event or exercise, how much you burn. You're watching overall trends, not every single movement.

That is not actually true. Calories burned is weight x intensity. It takes the same amount of energy to move the same weight over the same distance at the same speed. If you are doing the same intensity and are the same weight you will burn roughly the same amount of calories (slight variable for efficiencies). Perceived exertion is not relative to calories burned.
  • MissMissle
    Options
    That is not actually true. Calories burned is weight x intensity. It takes the same amount of energy to move the same weight over the same distance at the same speed. If you are doing the same intensity and are the same weight you will burn roughly the same amount of calories (slight variable for efficiencies). Perceived exertion is not relative to calories burned.
    [/quote]

But it is true - well I mean, this is what Im saying - it's NOT the same amount of energy - at all. Assuming you have never ridden horses - 10 minutes for you trying to post on the same horse Im posting on would essentially be impossible for you, but easy for me, because i do it everyday - it's the same intensity, but since I know how to do it, and have practiced, alot, its going to take less effort - ie I will only be using moderate effort to hold my core, along with the effort it takes to lift myself straight up, and gently back down in the saddle. You (Im just using "you" here) will be using alot of core stregth to balance, using muscles never used before in your legs, plus trying to steer, slow down, keep the horse moving, keep from falling off, etc... Thuis is why people who start taking riding lessons only have 10 minutes or riding, and can barely handle that, then complain that they cant walk for 2 weeks afeterwards, and they are hurting in areas I don't even use, becauyse they are expending extra effort to try to stay on a moving animal, when i just know whwere to sit correctly to stay on withought having to fight gravity / the animals impulsion.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

But it is true - well I mean, this is what Im saying - it's NOT the same amount of energy - at all. Assuming you have never ridden horses - 10 minutes for you trying to post on the same horse Im posting on would essentially be impossible for you, but easy for me, because i do it everyday - it's the same intensity, but since I know how to do it, and have practiced, alot, its going to take less effort - ie I will only be using moderate effort to hold my core, along with the effort it takes to lift myself straight up, and gently back down in the saddle. You (Im just using "you" here) will be using alot of core stregth to balance, using muscles never used before in your legs, plus trying to steer, slow down, keep the horse moving, keep from falling off, etc... Thuis is why people who start taking riding lessons only have 10 minutes or riding, and can barely handle that, then complain that they cant walk for 2 weeks afeterwards, and they are hurting in areas I don't even use, becauyse they are expending extra effort to try to stay on a moving animal, when i just know whwere to sit correctly to stay on withought having to fight gravity / the animals impulsion.

Your are confusing percieved exertion with calories burned. I understand you are using different muscles in ways you don't normally but that does not mean you burn more calories. I will allow that horse riding may be different, and doubt that considering the difference between horses, it is unlikely that everything would be the same. My response was directed in regards to the running example.
  • longshadows17
    longshadows17 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I put in "Trot work" for the amount of time I'm actually working the horse (not including walk warm up and cool down). Usually 30~ min. But we WORK- I do upper level (FEI) dressage with a couple of big movers, mostly sitting trot, not posting. Run through tests this time of year. Lots of half halts using core, etc. Excellent workout.

And I totally get what you are saying about muscle memory and ease when you're proficient at it.

I don't bother entering in grooming, or stall cleaning, I just figure that's a bonus.
  • Megan_getsfit7
    Options

Totally agree - but i'd still like to have an idea, just for conversation sake - especially since my mom always tells me what an awesome core workout Im getting riding, and she can't grasp the concept that I do it every day so it's not hard, where she would be faliling around after 30 seconds...same way i tried to do a kickboxing class with her and was contemplating running head first into a wall after 2 minutes to knock myself out and she was smiling and punching happily, effortless and sweat-less!
    My heart rate monitor and watch that connects to it has me put in my weight and height and max/min heart rate so it calculates calories based on me not just an average person
  • MissMissle
    Options
    I think I need to invest in a heart rate monitor...