Getting nowhere fast!!!!

Options
I work out every single day. Walk an hour at lunch 5 days week, take breaks throughout the day and walk. Play cardio tennis a couple days a week, and spin a couple days a week. On the days I don't do tennis or spin I do an hour up hill on the treadmill.
I average about 14 hours a week of working out. I have gained 20 lbs in the last year and 20 pounds the year before that. I have been to the doctor and everything is normal. Ready to pack it in and throw in the towel, and give up my gym membership. It has
proven to be a waste of time and money, and I am receiving no benefit from it except more weight gain. Has anyone else gained
weight after working out this much?

Replies

• somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    You will not lose weight if you don't eat at a deficit. Weight loss comes from your refrigerator, fitness comes from your workout.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    There is only one topic you didn't cover and its quite obvious that topic is the problem.

Food.
  • debdsk8gld
    debdsk8gld Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1400 calories per day. I just don't get it. They say it take 1 hr a day just to maintain, I am doing at least 2 hrs a day and still gaining.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1400 calories per day. I just don't get it. They say it take 1 hr a day just to maintain, I am doing at least 2 hrs a day and still gaining.
    Cut so much cardio and lift weights instead.
  • Roughgalaxy
    Roughgalaxy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You may want to start incorporating high intensity cardio classes or start doing HIIT programs a couple times a week. It is also important to have resistance training at least twice a week. Lean muscle will help you burn fat. If you have any questions feel free to toss me a friends request and we can chat.
  • dmenchac
    Options

You aren't eating 1400 per day.

Why do people lie to themselves?

If you were eating 1400 a day pus exercising for 14 hours per week, you would be losing weight at an alarming weight.
  • debdsk8gld
    Options
    I keep track of my food intake every single day, I even measure everything I make.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options

If you open up your food diary, people would be better able to help you figure it out. Sounds like it could be that you aren't weighing and measuring accurately, or not using the correct food entries in the database.

Give this a read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • debdsk8gld
    Options
    I do know how to use the food log and I do know how to measure my food. My company has a wellness program that has the same type of database as myfitnesspal. We have many challanges here at work so I have been logging my exercise and food in our program here. It was time consuming to enter it in 2 places.
  • dmenchac
    Options
    I do know how to use the food log and I do know how to measure my food. My company has a wellness program that has the same type of database as myfitnesspal. We have many challanges here at work so I have been logging my exercise and food in our program here. It was time consuming to enter it in 2 places.

Its impossible to be working out 2 hours a day while consuming 1400 calories and not lose weight.

Your food is way off. Measuring is not weighing..
  • debdsk8gld
    Options
    I am using a scale, so I think I know how to use it.
  • abrockhausen
    abrockhausen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 1400 a day and working out the way you listed, I would definitley see a doctor. Perhaps there is something else affecting your weight loss.
  • dmenchac
    Options
    I am using a scale, so I think I know how to use it.

Then please tell us what you think you are doing wrong?

You came here for advice.
  • abrockhausen
    abrockhausen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Also are you eating or netting 1400 calories a day?
  • dmenchac
    Options
    Also are you eating or netting 1400 calories a day?

Its the food that's the problem. Its quite obvious.
  • debdsk8gld
    Options
    I have been to the doctor, they have ran all kinds of tests. My hormones are all normal. I've seen a dietician and I eat right all the time. Nobody can figure out why I keep gaining and losing. I workout every chance I get. I rarely drink soda, maybe one time a week, and I drink water all day long.
  • yungibear
    yungibear Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Have you been documenting EVERYTHING (sauces, broths, veggies, suspected oils, fats, sugar, drinks besides water)?

I have always thought it was hard for me to lose weight while growing up and I was generally pretty active. My idea of how much I was eating was off, though. As soon as I began measuring and tracking everything I ate in an almost obsessive manner (It's like saying grace before eating, I log everything before I eat or drink ANYTHING), I was able to lose weight. I am eating at 1400 calories a day + exercising 30 min. to 1 hour a day. It's working and I'm losing about 0.5-1 pound a week.

There's a whole series in the UK called "Secret Eaters." It's about how people underestimate the amount of food they eat. It's informative and also rather entertaining as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYJrC3RTtgQ

Also, here are a couple other videos to watch, if you have time. They're about people who seemingly stay skinny, but eat a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt-qKTaEMIQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTx-D5NJ_kU

Again, many of us are telling you that weight loss happens in your food intake, not fitness level. It is your decision whether or not to consider what we are telling you.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can see exactly what you're doing.
  • dmenchac
    Options
    Gained 40 lbs in 2 years by eating 1400 calories and exercising 14 hours a week.

You are a legitimate medical marvel.
  • ChiaGnome
    ChiaGnome Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Have you been documenting EVERYTHING (sauces, broths, veggies, suspected oils, fats, sugar, drinks besides water)?

I have always thought it was hard for me to lose weight while growing up and I was generally pretty active. My idea of how much I was eating was off, though. As soon as I began measuring and tracking everything I ate in an almost obsessive manner (It's like saying grace before eating, I log everything before I eat or drink ANYTHING), I was able to lose weight. I am eating at 1400 calories a day + exercising 30 min. to 1 hour a day. It's working and I'm losing about 0.5-1 pound a week.

There's a whole series in the UK called "Secret Eaters." It's about how people underestimate the amount of food they eat. It's informative and also rather entertaining as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYJrC3RTtgQ

Also, here are a couple other videos to watch, if you have time. They're about people who seemingly stay skinny, but eat a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt-qKTaEMIQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTx-D5NJ_kU

Again, many of us are telling you that weight loss happens in your food intake, not fitness level. It is your decision whether or not to consider what we are telling you.

Replying because I want to watch the videos after work - might be my next Fat Doctor :)