Getting nowhere fast!!!!

Options

Replies

• debdsk8gld
    debdsk8gld Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I got here to see if there were any other people on this board that had a hard time losing weight while exercising and eating right.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Please take a deep breath and try to realize that people aren't attacking you, they're trying to help. Barring medical issues, there are only a few reasons for not losing. The first is water retention, either from a new or significantly more strenuous exercise program or from too much sodium (or it possibly could be from certain medications or from being way too stressed). If you just started a new or significantly more strenuous exercise program, the water retention is temporary and you just have to wait it out. If it's from too much sodium, you need to reduce your sodium.

The other reason is that you're not creating a deficit. If you have no medical issues and you're not retaining water, you're not burning more than you take in. You're either overestimating your burn from exercise and other daily activities, or underestimating the number of calories you're taking in. That's why people are asking about your food. Chances are, you're making a mistake in your intake. If you truly are creating a deficit and not losing, we're not going to be able to help.
  • debdsk8gld
    Options
    Well obviously they do because I am living proof!
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Wow!! this string just makes me not want to communicate with anyone here!! Yikes!!!
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Wow!! this string just makes me not want to communicate with anyone here!! Yikes!!!

How would you like us to react when its obvious we are being lied to?

If you are truthful and truly want help, we are here to help.

Some people just cannot handle the truth.

I invite you to make your own thread and give us all the facts. There are a ton of us on here that would be happy to assist you.
  • debdsk8gld
    Options
    I realize people are tryng to help, however you are the one that said I am lying. I am most certainly not. Everything I said is the truth.
    It absoultely makes no sense why I am not losing weight. In 2011 is lost about 15 lbs and felt great. I have continued to do the same thing ever since. The only thing I have changed is I started playing tennis the summer of 2012. I have been logging my food and keeping track of what I eat for years in various programs. Nobody can figure out why I am not losing, not even my doctor who says all my tests are normal.
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Open your diary
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Well obviously they do because I am living proof!

Honestly, *kitten* or not dmenchac is correct. What you are saying about your intake and your exercise you would be losing weight. If you are not then you are wrong about your intake. This is just math, its not personal.
  • yungibear
    yungibear Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    At your request, everything we have said in this thread so far is a (highly recommended) suggestion to you. I'm repeating myself, but it is up to you to consider the possibility that what you are experiencing is not really that complicated.

Perhaps it would be helpful to consider what we are saying before saying there is something wrong with your body.

This is from my list of videos I had already suggested, but I really hope for you not to have the same attitude as the woman in this episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTx-D5NJ_kU

As you can see, she is not lying, but she is also not considering the simple message of the advice given to her.

Here's an interesting thing about learning: you need to let go of your previous (mis)conceptions before your mind is able to accept new knowledge. It's all about considering the possibility.

Again, I am not forcing you to do anything, it is your own body and your own decision.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You don't keep your diary here, so we can't see it and ascertain the veracity of your statements.

You won't answer whether you're eating 1400 net or gross, so we can't determine whether or not you're "eating back" too many exercise calories.

You say that you're already weighing your food and know how to use a food log.

Either you have an undiagnosed medical condition which is depressing your metabolism or you are logging food and activity wrong somewhere along the way.

We don't have your stats, so I'll ask: do you know your TDEE and BMR?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Either you have an undiagnosed medical condition which is depressing your metabolism or you are logging food and activity wrong somewhere along the way.

Ones metabolism can only be "depressed" so much even in the worst of conditions. A "depressed" metabolism is not going to explain no weight loss at 1400 caloric intake and regular exercise. I'm sorry OP but these are the two options:

1) You are not correctly monitoring your caloric intake
    2) You are truly unique in the population, no one else is like you. You have the ability to create energy from nothing.

Whether the answer is #1 or the answer is #2 there really is no way to advise you based on the numbers you are providing.
  • mkmfrog
    mkmfrog Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    OP, I suggest you read this thread. It may offer some insights and suggestions you may not have considered.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1268958-over-40-fitness
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you are being such an *kitten*!!!!!!! I got here to see if there were any other people on this board that had a hard time losing weight while exercising and eating right.
    Stop now.

Either you have a medical condition that is affecting your weight

Or

Your calorie intake is not at a deficit due to underestimating calories eaten and/or calories burned

Or

You are creating water like crazy due to medications, over exercise, or something else.

The most common reason for weight gain is no. 2. It's nothing to be ashamed of, it just takes some research to make sure we have the correct entries.

Also, I advise using a food scale if you just measure. The differences in measurements and weight can be astounding. It all adds up.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Seriously? And this is your first post.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Either you have a hidden medical condition or you're NOT eating 1400 calories a day.

Put out more energy than you put in = weight loss
    Put in more energy than you put out = weight gain

Put in same amount of energy as you put out = maintenance.

You're going wrong, somewhere
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    What did your dr test you for, exactly? I'm sure there are rare medical conditions that aren't tested for with a simple, run of the mill, physical with blood work.

Also, maybe you should keep a food diary on mfp instead, for at least a couple of weeks, then come back here for support. People can't help you much with limited info and evidence. What's your height/weight? Where'd you get the idea to eat 1400 calories from?
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If the 1400 cals + numerous hours of exercise aren't working, the only other thing you can do is go to 1300 cals and stick to that for 3 weeks. If that isn't it then move it to 1200 cals. until you find the deficit that works.

Without seeing your food diary then no one can say for sure what you need to do.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    @OP

The community is only here to help you and nobody is out to be a bully. What we won't stand for is helping to fool you further into believing that you are doing nothing wrong. If you were doing everything correctly then you wouldn't be in this situation excluding some weird medical situation you might have.

Here's what I believe you to be doing wrong-

Food- I guarantee that you are either not measuring/weighing your food/portions properly and may be fooling yourself into thinking your doing fine when you're really not. If I were you, I'd re-evaluate all the sources of information that you are currently basing your calories on. If you are claiming a dish from Olive Garden is xxx amount of calories before, forget that number and look it up again. If you are using a food scale, consider buying a new one.

A real example, i once heard that "clear" dressings often meant they were better for you, so I would always get the mustard vinaigrette from outback steakhouse and would often get extra. Once I started recording my food reality settled in and I found out it was worse than the buttermilk ranch, no wonder I was gaining weight with items like these in my diet.

Exercise- It's very possible that you are not measuring your intensity level properly and recording more calories burnt that you are really burning. Do you use a heart rate monitor? I would start if you aren't already, and I suspect that you aren't. 2 hours at the gym is great if you are honestly working your butt off the entire time. If that 2 hours is made up of time hanging out in the locker room, showering, Suana and hanging out for extended periods of time between machines then that does nothing to help you. If you were booking in a solid 2 hours of moderate to intense exercise you would be looking at amazing results, assuming that's a pace you can actually keep up with.

I'm 250 lbs currently (down from 270) and to keep up to 70-80% of my max heart rate for an hour on the elliptical which totally kicks my *kitten*. I then squeeze in a 20-30 minute weights/resistance workout and call it a day. That roughly burns 850 for elliptical and another 170 calories for a 30min weight workout. I usually spend 110 to 170 calories on my protein shake too so the weights almost dont even count towards my burnt calories (I do weights for physical fitness and building muscle mass alone not just to burn calories). at the end of this I'm spent, 2 hours at that intensity would kick my butt, is that how you feel after your 2 hour workout?

Consider this advise and that of the many people on these boards. Nobody is looking to set you up for failure and if you keep on your current path that's all you're in for.
  • yungibear
    yungibear Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am returning a few too many times but OP, if you do choose to follow the advice here on MFP, I found a popular blog post from today talking about this exact problem.

Perhaps anyone else who is hitting this roadblock would find it helpful:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/californiagirl2012/view/-but-i-am-eating-less-and-it-s-not-working-656913

This person mentions that she has the medical issues people usually blame for their lack of weight-loss. She, however, was able to reach her goals despite them. So if we, the people who are still in the process, do not sound convincing, perhaps her story might be of help to you?
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you are being such an *kitten*!!!!!!! I got here to see if there were any other people on this board that had a hard time losing weight while exercising and eating right.
    Stop now.

Either you have a medical condition that is affecting your weight

Or

Your calorie intake is not at a deficit due to underestimating calories eaten and/or calories burned

Or

You are creating water like crazy due to medications, over exercise, or something else.

The most common reason for weight gain is no. 2. It's nothing to be ashamed of, it just takes some research to make sure we have the correct entries.

Also, I advise using a food scale if you just measure. The differences in measurements and weight can be astounding. It all adds up.

:drinker: All possible options not so far-fetched as to include amnesiac force feeding under alien abduction have now been covered!

Well, except sleep eating. Are you taking Ambien and waking up with crumbs on your chin, OP? Seriously, some people do sleep eat though.