Best purchases you've made?

Options
As it says in the title, what are the best things you've bought for yourself which have helped you lose weight?

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Garmin 305 GPS watch about 6-7 years ago.
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Clothes that fit properly. Seriously. I've got shoes and the road is free, I can make them fit better.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    CEP compression socks

garmin 110 with HRM

running shoes.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Good running shoes and a good bike were probably my best investments (my gym membership is too cheap to consider it a big purchase, but I wouldn't give it up!).
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    HRM and having my bike overhauled.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Maintaining my bike and adding lights. Also good running shoes and my gym membership.

The biggest bang for my buck?? A $10 pedometer. I wore it last year (part of a corporate challenge) and monitored the steps..good motivation and seeing a 30 day spreadsheet is great for me. I pull up my 30 & 90 day exercise chart often to get the 'big picture'.

A kitchen scale was very helpful when I first started. Now I eyeball it a lot, but go back to re-checking my accuracy.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    My first HRM, my workout log which I continue to buy and keep track of my workouts. Log holds six months. And most recently my Inov8s, cross trainers. I love having one shoes that works well for whatever I am doing.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I consider these essentials for me:
    Gym membership
    Food Scale

Things that I like or were fun or have otherwise helped, but are far from essential:
    HRM
    Fitbit
    Cute workout clothes
    Nice bike
    Cross country skis / snowshoes (it's so liberating finding active outdoor sports I like for winter!)
  • jeanstudies
    jeanstudies Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'd have to say my BodyMedia - FIT Core armband. It showed me just *exactly* how many calories I burn in a day, and although it was generally more than I thought (about 2000, at my previous weight of 260 pounds), it helped me realize that if I move more I will (duh!) burn more calories.

Also I am slowly beginning to realize that as my weight goes down I will burn (again, duh) fewer calories, and that I'd better start building more muscles by working out -- higher muscle percentage -> more calories I will be able to eat. Even though the Core does not have wi-fi capabilities it is suitable for my circumstances (and cheaper).
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    A groupon to a crossfit gym.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    food scale
    Polar Loop and HRM
    yoga mat
    free weights (I had them before I just never used them lol)
    good shoes
    nutribullet
  • Sirinya55
    Sirinya55 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Garmin 220! :smile:
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    ExLax :tongue:
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Definitely my FitBit One which corrects my activity level for me automatically here and ensures I'm eating enough/not too much rather than guessing.

(Otherwise like others I'd have said a food scale - far more essential than a bathroom scale in my opinion)
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Food scale, polar ft7, fitbit.
  • 1971MLJ
    1971MLJ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My Personal Training sessions, they made an unbelievable difference.
  • Aeramis13
    Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    food scale - it's amazing how much i eat when i 'eyeball' rather than measure!

Polar HRM (my cheaper one was definitely NOT a good purchase!)

gym membership - for me, paying money for the membership is a huge, huge motivator. plus, once i'm home for the night, i tend to find myself snuggled up in a recliner staring at the tv, so going to the gym where there's only one thing to do is perfect to keep me exercising.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    The Leslie Sansone workout DVDs that got me back into working out, gently, about 6 months ago

My smartphone, so I can use the MFP app and my running app
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    One of the best purchases I have made overall is my Mac. I have a few different programs for tracking fitness, including access to the website. Sync's perfectly with my phone to also track fitness. Manages photos of my progress brilliantly.

Aside from that, I LOVE my MotoACTV fitness watch, though it was discontinued right after I bought it. Works like a champs ofter a few years now though, and syncs nicely with my HRM. I also like the FitBit Force, except the whole recall thing.

Looking for a new fitness unti.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    My runners - got a foot analyses done, and shin splints no more!

Also my Polar FT7 and HRM - nice little thing to give me something to push me more in a workout.