Plateauing after losing 40lbs in 9 months. Please help!

Options
Hello, I'm struggling with a terrible plateau I've been facing for almost 3 months. I eat very healthy and balanced and try switching up my meals so my body doesn't get used to the same thing. I also just spent the whole month of April working out in the morning and twice in the evening 5 days a week. And nothing happened. I drink about 80+ oz of water daily and get about 6 1/2 to 7 hours of sleep every night. I love living my healthy life style and I wouldn't change it for the world but I'm frustrated because my intake and outtake and mind don't match my results. Any ideas anyone? Anything is appreciated!

Replies

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Howdy, Kate! If you open up your food diary, we may be able to give you better suggestions. :)
  • katemoss09
    katemoss09 Posts: 9
    Options
    I don't keep a food diary on this site anymore. I haven't been on here for awhile now, just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions.
  • hamo1987
    hamo1987 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Best bet is to log your food so not only the really successful mbers of mfp can weight in, no pun Intended, but also so y o u can be sure you are eating at the correct deficit
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    A plateau is really just someone eating at maintenance and thinking they're in a deficit. Cut your calories. Make sure you're really eating the amount of calories you think you are.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I don't keep a food diary on this site anymore. I haven't been on here for awhile now, just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions.
    If you don't log your food it's likely your eating far more than you think so not eating at a deficit. Without basic accurate information of your calories you have nothing to work with. Start logging find out how much you're eating then work from there
  • katemoss09
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I honestly am not a fan of counting calories. I understand the deficit that needs to happen to lose fat. I struggle with the possibility of "obsessing" over the numbers too much. But I feel like I should give it another try again. The strange thing is, I haven't changed my anything about how much food I'm eating since last July. :)
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I don't think many of us are fans! You could do it for a short while as a tune-up. :)

A less intense approach, I've seen some nutritionists recommend, is to measure how many "servings" of various food groups you eat. That's perhaps a less certain but more manageable approach.

Another idea is to simply aim for a bit less than now.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I honestly am not a fan of counting calories. I understand the deficit that needs to happen to lose fat. I struggle with the possibility of "obsessing" over the numbers too much. But I feel like I should give it another try again. The strange thing is, I haven't changed my anything about how much food I'm eating since last July. :)

The smaller you are, the less calories you need. As you lose, you need to adjust your intake to account for that. If you don't want to count calories, try making little changes to cut back. A little less cheese, a little less salad dressing, half of the cookie you'd normally eat, etc.. If that doesn't work, maybe counting would help you.
  • rmkramer003
    rmkramer003 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Your profile says that you just quit smoking, which could be a factor. It may take a while for your body to get used to the change. Have you stopped taking the weight-loss pills? It might be helpful to log the food for a week or two to see how many calories you are averaging for the week (be sure to include exercise). Then you could decide if you need to lower your calories if you are eating too many (or raise your calories if you aren't eating enough). Eating too many and eating too few calories can both cause plateaus. Make sure you are also measuring yourself with a measuring tape, because sometimes your body may be changing without the weight changing.
  • Girldreamingofliving
    Girldreamingofliving Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would try less exercise for a little while, or with that a couple of non restricting days. Your body may just need a rest.
    If pushing it is not working, then just relax a little.
  • katemoss09
    Options

The smaller you are, the less calories you need. As you lose, you need to adjust your intake to account for that. If you don't want to count calories, try making little changes to cut back. A little less cheese, a little less salad dressing, half of the cookie you'd normally eat, etc.. If that doesn't work, maybe counting would help you.

Oh my! I didn't even think about that fact about already having lost weight! Thank you for mentioning that! I will go back to keeping track to see where I'm at right now and adjust it from there! Great advice everyone. I'm ready to tackle this last 40 pounds.