RUNNING: what makes you stop ....

Options
13»

Replies

• emzilee
    emzilee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    For me it's breathing. I know I can run 5k, because I did it twice last week, but tonight I could feel my chest getting tighter and tighter as if an asthma attack was coming, so I slowed to a walk.

I have no idea how people manage to keep their heart rates so low when they run. By the time I've finished my warm-up walk, my heart rate is at about 150-160. When I jog (at about 4.5mph) it jumps straight to 175, climbing to 180-185 for the majority of the run.
  • KimberlyAndrews1
    KimberlyAndrews1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just turned 49 and I'm new to running and out of shape, although I have lost almost 20 lbs so far. ! I tried a running program with Fleet Feet Sports in 2012 but had to quit after getting an ankle stress fracture. Now, almost 2 years later I am trying to run again. This time on my own and in my own time at my own pace, so hopefully, no injuries this time around.. I ran for 2 miles on the treadmill for up to 13 minutes straight running for 3 days a week. I started running outside the week before last. I'm up to 2 miles 2 days a week...running about a 15 minute mile on average. Running outside is much harder than running inside. My legs feel heavier and tire more easily and my calve muscles hurt more. My breathing isn't near as good either. Indoors I ran 13 minutes straight one time, but outside 3 minutes has been the max and I average 2 minutes running at a time. I currently run two, then walk three for 2-2 1/4 miles. Next week, I will probably start to slowly reduce my walking time by 30 seconds at a time. I sure hope it get's easier because right now, it's so hard. What stops me from running is a either my calves and quads hurting or out of breath, mostly it's because I get out of breath.
  • ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I usually stop because I get so freakin bored and decide after about 20 minutes that I would rather be doing sprints instead of just a straight boring run.
  • albionjen
    albionjen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You're right, I've only recently started. But actually there is motivation behind the question in that I had my first ever asthma attack at the weekend (at home, not exercise induced) and I'm keen to figure out whether lung capacity is something that is a common reason for people to stop or if my lungs are a bit weak and something I need to be aware of. Carrying on until I've finished what I planned to do is not currently an option as I need to be sensible with my health, but I'm trying to establish how far I can push things.

I had the same when I started running, first time getting real asthma symptoms (at age 30!) I hope you have gone to see your doctor and got an inhaler in case it happens again. Mine is worse in the cold or when my hay fever is bad and I just take a puff to recover. I was pretty inactive for most of the previous 30 years, so not really surprising I only noticed the asthma recently. If you are the same the problem might not be weak lungs or over doing it, but an undiagnosed problem you should get treatment for.

In answer to the original question, now that I've got treatment for the asthma I stop when I finish my planned length/time for the run. I have a couple of circular routes so I have to carry on to get home :smile:
  • Marlitharn
    Marlitharn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've found that a panicked squirrel dashing out from the bushes and colliding with my ankles makes me stop real quick. Other than that, it's usually either because I'm panting for air and my chest is getting tight, or my calves and ankles start burning so badly I that I start to stumble. My longest run so far has been 4 minutes - .3 mile on the treadmill - but a couple of months ago I couldn't do a minute without gasping like a beached fish so I'm not complaining too much.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I don't stop until I have completed my scheduled training run.

hell yeah!!

Or, my friends won't stop texting me :laugh:
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

hell yeah!!

Or, my friends won't stop texting me :laugh:

How people can even concentrate on their phone while running is really beyond me.. much applause to those who can :P
  • ccm1912
    ccm1912 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how people manage to keep their heart rates so low when they run. By the time I've finished my warm-up walk, my heart rate is at about 150-160. When I jog (at about 4.5mph) it jumps straight to 175, climbing to 180-185 for the majority of the run.

this! My heart rate, during any cardio exertion, goes straight to 170 range usually and just stays there or a bit higher. I feel totally fine, but some people have told me thats "too high." After a while I just was like *shrug* that just seems how my body goes. Even if im going at a fairly medium pace on the elliptical. It's just like, hello 170, 175. The machine likes to yell at me to slow down to bring my heart rate down but if i did id slow to a crawl lol from what ive read, heart rates vary for everyone. I think as long as you feel ok, it's fine for you. If you get dizzy or nauseous or feel like you're having palpitations, that a whole other thing.
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm an endurance fanatic with asthma. Make sure you have your albuterol pump with you. If it's exercise induced asthma, take a couple hits 15 minutes prior to taking off.

When you are running, you should be breathing comfortably unless you are racing. If you're alone, a good test is being able to sing a song without struggling to catch your breath. Try timing your breaths with your steps. 3 steps breathing in, 3 steps breathing out. Just trying to do that will make you slow down because you're focusing on it.

Set up a running schedule. T/TH 2-4 miles, SAT or SUN, a little longer. Run until you're done with the distance. If you have to slow down to a brisk walk to pull yourself together, no biggie. Keep that schedule for about 3 weeks to a month and you'll find yourself completing your runs with little to no walking.

Asthma has kept me off running a couple times in my life, but it's been after bad chest colds. Otherwise, it's not a problem for me.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

my hero :-)
  • kLPantera
    kLPantera Posts: 5
    Options
    When I have cramps all over my body.
  • LeiaLemon
    LeiaLemon Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm asthmatic so when I start having a metallic taste in my mouth and chest and throat hurt then I know it's time to stop... mostly because that's a sign that I may have a major asthma attack. However I am trying to train up to not using inhalers again as I have run a 5K in just short of 23 minutes last year without them but then I got a very serious case of bronchitis and that killed my endurance :(
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Sciatica. At 5 miles I'm crippled.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    You're right, I've only recently started. But actually there is motivation behind the question in that I had my first ever asthma attack at the weekend (at home, not exercise induced) and I'm keen to figure out whether lung capacity is something that is a common reason for people to stop or if my lungs are a bit weak and something I need to be aware of. Carrying on until I've finished what I planned to do is not currently an option as I need to be sensible with my health, but I'm trying to establish how far I can push things.

You'll get better results if you slow your roll, trust me, I've watched Spirit of the Marathon. Unless you're just randomly pegging the treadmill to prove something, I dunno.

Yes this. And it's the worst part about running on a treadmill. Running outside is much better for being able to decrease and increase your pace as needed to ensure that you are able to keep going. As for intervals, honestly, they can be a crucial component of training. I'm not sure if it's you that has your mind made up about them or your trainer, but I would recommend reconsidering. With that being said, often people stop because their mind is telling them to stop, not because their body is not capable of running anymore. Running is a tough activity mentally, at least I have found it to be. But I've also found it to be one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.