Binge Days: Why they can be beneficial for your weight loss

Options
They happen to all of us. We grab that one thing off of the shelf at the store that we know will not help us. For me it's oreos, and ice cream. And then, after a weeks hard work, we go into the pantry, and go way over our calorie limit. However, little did you know that these free days may actually be helping you. I used to be in love with brownies, especially fudgy and peanut butter ones. One day, after my mom had made a batch of about 20, I decided that my hard work should pay off so I ate the whole thing throughout the day, in it's entirety. The next day, I felt terrible. Bloated, and regretful, and never wanted another brownie again. This inspired me to get right back on track, and within the next 2 weeks, I lost close to 5 pounds, and haven't eaten a brownie in close to 10 months. Not only did the brownie overeating give my metabolism a jump start, it also gave me an idea. Every couple of days/ weeks that I did well (with staying under my calorie goal), I would reward myself. Friday is a free day now. I eat what ever I want, and however much of it I want. It may be cookies, cake, brownies, ice cream, or candy. It is essentially my freedom and reward day. Saturday, I get right back on track, hit the gym, go on a run, and eat healthy at a deficit. Although this may not work for you, it has significantly helped me lose weight. I have lost close to 20 pounds, and am close to my goal weight. I love the new me, and being able to eat the things I love has helped me out a ton in the process! Call me crazy, but one free day of food has definitely contributed to my weight loss, and gives me something to look forward to! All of your hard work and motivation should be rewarded! You deserve a day off! Just make sure you get back on track the day after! Congratulations on all of your succes

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Yeah, many people have cheat days. I usually go with a cheat meal instead so I dont run the risk of getting blasted.
  • Stilllosing26
    Stilllosing26 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I really do credit these days with my major success!
  • Stilllosing26
    Options
    Yeah, many people have cheat days. I usually go with a cheat meal instead so I dont run the risk of getting blasted.

You should try it!
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    Except it's called "reactive eating"- not binging- when you're restricting.
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 20 pound loss! I do it and have went from a 24 to a 6...no deprivation here!
    Enjoy what works for you and just make sure, like you said, you hop right back on your plan!
  • Stilllosing26
    Options
    This is such a terrible idea and it is horrible advice for you to be giving people.

You need to address your issues with food as you have already been told by many members before. Don't justify it now and try to get people to do the same thing you are doing.

I don't need your snarky response. You have your opinion, I have mine. Having these days have definitely contributed to my weight loss, and overall health. If you don't agree, I understand that, but I know plenty of people that have reward days, and are losing at a very nice rate. Thank you very much.
  • Stilllosing26
    Options
    Congrats on your 20 pound loss! I do it and have went from a 24 to a 6...no deprivation here!
    Enjoy what works for you and just make sure, like you said, you hop right back on your plan!

Thank You :)
  • givingitmybest
    givingitmybest Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I realize that for some, this may work. However, I know myself well enough to know that I'm an all or nothing person. If I had a cheat day, it would turn into a week, then into a year, and then 34 years! For instance, that may happen to you as well. You mentioned Friday's were your cheat day, and then you said "Sunday" you get right back on track...is it possible you've begun 2 days of cheating in a row?

As far as rewarding myself? I do that with seeing what I can do physically, and the weight I've lost. That will always be my reward.
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Going over your calorie budget is one thing, but actually binging is another. I'm glad you've had success but binging is associated with a number of very serious eating disorders. Hopefully you just got your wording wrong there.
  • Stilllosing26
    Options
    I realize that for some, this may work. However, I know myself well enough to know that I'm an all or nothing person. If I had a cheat day, it would turn into a week, then into a year, and then 34 years! For instance, that may happen to you as well. You mentioned Friday's were your cheat day, and then you said "Sunday" you get right back on track...is it possible you've begun 2 days of cheating in a row?

As far as rewarding myself? I do that with seeing what I can do physically, and the weight I've lost. That will always be my reward.

I am terribly sorry! I meant to say I was starting the week off on the right foot. Meaning, I am back on track saturday and sunday after my free day on Friday, and starting the work week off strong! Sorry for the confusion!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Seriously?
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with enjoying what you want, but I'm not too keen using food as a reward. That's the kind of thinking that got me to my highest weight to begin with.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Agree with Mr.M Binge eating is simply not healthy. It represents a poor relationship with food. Rather then binge on brownies till you want to puke then swear them off for months and months why not simply try having 1 brownie and counting it towards you calorie goal? Seems much more reasonable. Also, if you have a weekly cheat meal or cheat day, you could potentially erase an entire week of dieting. This becomes more of an issue the closer you get to being lean. Just do that math. It takes a deficit of 3500 calories to lose a lb. If you are 500 calories below maintenance for 6 days then you are on track to lose the lb if you keep up with that deficit on day 7. If instead you binge and go over your maintenance by 2000 calories you have cut away 2/3 of the weeks progress. If you go over by 3000, you ruined the whole week. Rather then restricting then binging, try moderation. It's a more long term sustainable plan.
  • MelanieMamaof5
    MelanieMamaof5 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Sometimes wondering just how long you're going to have to wait in order to eat something you love again can be detrimental to a long term goal. Knowing how long you have can keep you on track. Knowing that at the end of the week you can enjoy that bowl of ice cream, or that candy bar, or whatever it is for you, can help keep you on track until then. But thinking that you can never have ice cream or candy bars again usually make one give up and totally fall off the wage.

You go ahead with your free days. Life happens and there is more to it than being skinny. Enjoying it can be a part of the equation too.
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    This is such a terrible idea and it is horrible advice for you to be giving people.

QFT

As a person that suffers from an actual binge eating disorder, I would never encourage a binge. A big treat every now and then, absolutely. A daily treat, I have one every day. Binging, NO WAY. I struggle to stay binge free.

Just because it has "worked for you" doesn't mean it is for everyone.
  • Stilllosing26
    Options
    I am sorry for the confusion! By binge days, I mean a free day. Not stuffing yourself full of food at one time! But rather a day of eating foods you love to eat!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I would encourage the use of paragraphs
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    Going over your calorie budget is one thing, but actually binging is another. I'm glad you've had success but binging is associated with a number of very serious eating disorders. Hopefully you just got your wording wrong there.

Yes I agree with this - going over your calorie budget sometimes is fine - coming sensibly ( like by 100 or so, not by 1000) under your budget 6 days a week and then having a planned special meal on the 7th day, going out to a restaurant or eating more at a party or having a high calorie treat once a week - that's fine - but being very restricted followed by huge binge, eating 20 cookies etc - No, not good.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for the confusion! By binge days, I mean a free day. Not stuffing yourself full of food at one time! But rather a day of eating foods you love to eat!
    Why not eat foods you love on a regular basis and simply track them towards your calorie total?
This discussion has been closed.