should you cut out milk from your diet?

Options

Replies

• kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I don't drink dairy milk, but that's because I don't really like it. We always have some unsweetened unflavored almond milk or coconut-almond milk in the fridge. They do great for baking, taste good in coffee and work perfectly in scrambled eggs, etc. I still eat cheese. I still use cow's cream for whipped cream, but that's not something I do every day.

Basically, if you like it and it works in your calories, there's no reason to stop doing it unless you are particular about growth hormones, etc. If so, just buy better quality milk. If the calories are seeming like an issue, there are lower-cal options that many people prefer over cow's milk.

But to answer your original question (and doing so without any real authority), no, milk won't help or hurt you in weight loss overall.
  • edstreiff
    edstreiff Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of milk, like a gallon every two days but now I have greatly limited it to a few cups a week if that. The only reason I reduced it so much was because I didn't have the calories available to drink so much anymore.

Milk is good for you in moderation like a bunch of different things but you do have to remember its a fluid created by an animal to deliver lots of food energy to their offspring.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    A glass of milk is only acceptable if there are cookies being dunked in it.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    If it fits your calorie target and your not allergic to dairy then no need, it won't speed up or slow down weight loss.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit will aid you in weight loss. If you can maintain that with milk incorporated into your intake, then keep drinking it. It's a good source of several nutrients.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should cut milk completely from your diet but you may try silk soy milk and almond milk which maybe a little healthier but nothing wrong with milk.

How is soy or almond milk healthier than cow's milk? And I asking as a person w/ a healthy disgestive system and no allergies/intolerances.

^This. Plus soy milk contains phytoestrogens that mimic human estrogen in the body.

Dairy has been shown to be beneficial to weight loss, so keep it in if you like it.
  • blesseddiva77
    blesseddiva77 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    soy milk has more protien and less calories and fat. You still get your calcium and other nutriets just with less fat.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    soy milk has more protien and less calories and fat. You still get your calcium and other nutriets just with less fat.

Soy milk and 2% milk have almost identical calories, fat and protein content.

Soy milk:
    127 cals
    4.7 fat
    12.1 carbs
    10.9 protein

2% milk
    122 cal
    4.8 fat
    11.2 carbs
    8.1 protein
  • nsimon24
    nsimon24 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    As long as you figure out another way of getting enough calcium. My Mom is currently dealing with a friend who gave up milk in the seventies for some reason (she tolerated it, she just told us it was "bad" for her to drink). Her spinal column is collapsing (she has had six fused in the past four months) now her bones are so bad they are simply crumbling. Granted, she is in her 70s now, but it has been building up for a while (she has been hunched for quite some time) and I want to be healthy at that age!

I decided I needed to make sure I got enough milk/dairy in my diet after that - I do not drink enough (my nutritionist told me vitamins and supplements don't cut it since the body does not absorb it as easily).
  • misdreagus
    misdreagus Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight easier since turning vegan, so I think it's beneficial but each to their own. :)
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    If you're lactose intolerant/sensitive yes. If not, only if you don't like it.

I'm lactose sensitive so I get a bit of bloating from the dairy products, but I like dairy products so I just ignore the bloat.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

Soy milk:
    127 cals
    4.7 fat
    12.1 carbs
    10.9 protein

2% milk
    122 cal
    4.8 fat
    11.2 carbs
    8.1 protein

This post and profile avatar are like New Jersey & You....

75522751.jpg
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    Obviously, a lot of people that are studied for diet are not tracking calories.

However, there is this:

People not on calorie restriction:
    http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v38/n2/full/ijo201378a.html

"Conclusion:

Further longitudinal and interventional studies are warranted to confirm the beneficial role of increasing total dairy and yogurt intake, as part of a healthy and calorie-balanced dietary pattern, in the long-term prevention of gain in weight and WC."

These subjects were on calorie restriction:
    http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v67/n4/abs/ejcn201352a.html

"Conclusions:

In conclusion, a dairy- and Ca-rich diet was not associated with greater weight loss than control. Modest increases in plasma PYY concentrations with increased dairy/Ca intake, however, may contribute to enhanced sensations of satisfaction and reduced dietary fat intake during energy restriction."

At the very least, it doesn't appear that milk and yogurt are harmful to dieting.

*Edit: changed "on a diet" to "on calorie restriction"
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options

Soy milk:
    127 cals
    4.7 fat
    12.1 carbs
    10.9 protein

2% milk
    122 cal
    4.8 fat
    11.2 carbs
    8.1 protein

Unsweetened Soy Milk, which is what I would get if I was going to get Soy Milk, is a little different.

http://silk.com/sites/default/files/products/nutrition/NLEAs_272_SK_SOY_OrgUnSwt_HG.jpeg
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    When almonds or soybeans become mammals with mammary glands, I'll consider the liquid extracted from them milk.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    When almonds or soybeans become mammals with mammary glands, I'll consider the liquid extracted from them milk.

7066.jpg
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

Only if it's fortified soy milk. Natural soy is not a good source of calcium.

As an added note: those with thyroid issues should not drink soy milk (nor eat anything with added soy protein - specifically soy protein isolate).
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy it and tolerate it then no you don't need to remove it from your diet.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Dietary fat doesn't make you fat......
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Unless you are lactose intolerant or something like that, I don't see why you would have to cut milk. For those promoting other "milk" like soy or almond over regular, those are great for allot of people but not everyone tolerates soy or almonds.

I used to be allergic to both and still am sensitive to them in large quantities.

Just wanted to point out different things are better for different people.