What's the most ridiculous diet you've heard of?

Options

Replies

• tl_dr
    tl_dr Posts: 96
    Options
    My friend tried to live off of grilled cheese and Ramen noodles during his sophomore year to save money. He made it about 3 or 4 months before the complete lack of vitamin C led to him developing scurvy.

Is it bad that I kind of had to stifle a laugh? Only because I've been in a similar situation, though!

A few months ago, my roommate and I were BROKE. Like literally all we had was rent money and a jar of pocket change. We ate nothing but ramen for about three weeks before our situation improved... Man, it did not matter how much water we drank, we were SO dehydrated. I'm talking like peeing-maple-syrup dehydrated. Gosh. :sick:

Such is the ballad of the early-20-something.
  • SarahNicoleW94
    Options
    the 'cuppa soup' diet. basically nothing solid :laugh: I'd last an hour tops!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Just red meat diet!!

How very dare you!
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    Adkins diet is the worst.
  • 95Tashey95
    95Tashey95 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    this less than intelligent coworker of my wife's announced he was beginning p90x and going on an all fruit diet.

he probably lasted 30 hours. how could a human survive on fruit alone?

Haha this made me laugh because the last bit of this suggested that he met his demise from the diet after 30h (I am hoping that is not what you meant otherwise this would seem very very cruel!)
  • Squibs85
    Squibs85 Posts: 5
    Options
    Slimming world is just as silly I think! My friend wondered why she hadnt lost any weight on it as she stuck to it 100% for a month but ended up putting 4lb on! Any diet that says you can have as much 'free' meat, pasta, rice and potatoes to name a few as you want surely isn't the way to lose weight if you have no 'off switch' to hunger and always want to eat. There is no restriction or portion control and I think thats what most people (me as a prime example) struggle with.
  • _101010_
    _101010_ Posts: 121
    Options
    Banana diet
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    the bite diet. Don't count calories, count your bites. It actually works for some.

I would destroy this.. LOL... whole chicken..two bites..done... :laugh:

hot sauce diet....basically you make it run through you system as fast as possible to "flush" out excess.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Evens Diet-as described by a friend a long time ago:

Day1-eat 200 calories
    day 2-eat 400 calories
    Day3-eat 600 calories
    Day 4- eat 800 calories
    Day 5-eat 1000 calories
    Day 6-eat 800 calories
    day 7-eat 600 calories
    rotating in this pattern etc...until you lose the weight you want.
  • superdeformedchibi
    Options
    Jestinia- I noticed that, too, about fantasy novels! I didn't last the day, lol!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    The Air Diet

Also known as "L’Air Fooding" this French fad diet was popularized by a Dolce & Gabbana campaign. It showed Madonna and a few other celebrities holding up delicious foods to their mouths but not eating them. The concept of this diet is that you cook the food, put it on the plate, serve a setting like you were actually going to eat it and then rather than consume it, you hold it up to your mouth but do not take a bite. It is supposed to fool your body into thinking you've eaten. However, the diet is not completely without substance (no pun intended), dieters are allowed to drink water and have some salt soup (which is exactly what it sounds like: hot water and salt).

Don't forget the part about hiring a photographer. I'm pretty sure that part is essentially to meeting your L'Air Fooding macros.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    The cutting gluten out of your diet for less than 20 hours to magically correct undiagnosed illnesses.

Now that's ridiculous.

^This!! :laugh:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    The photosynthesis diet. Basically, no food. Period. You get water and sunlight. Granted, the only people I've ever heard of attempting this were doing it for ethical reasons (ie, don't kill anything ever, even plants), rather than weight loss reasons.

^ That's the diet that Human Barbie is on.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Maple syrup diet

Basically you make this drink of maple syrup, lemon juice and cayenne pepper. Beyonce made it famous.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    The photosynthesis diet. Basically, no food. Period. You get water and sunlight. Granted, the only people I've ever heard of attempting this were doing it for ethical reasons (ie, don't kill anything ever, even plants), rather than weight loss reasons.

Breathatarians. Stupidest thing I have ever heard.
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    On this other forum I am part of there is a thread about a 7 day diet which promises to get you to lose 14lbs. The diet is basically a 7 day starvation diet and obviously most weight lost will be water weight and not fat. Everybody on there seems to be having 'problems' yet all seem to think the diet is a great idea. When I tried to help (bad idea I know) I got told to move on and by the way the diet does work because they have all done it 15 million times already....obviously gives long term sustainable results then.....

One person earlier (who is at the end of the 7 days) wrote:

"Overall this diet was ace to lose so much but I did get spots, felt weak, aches, tiredness and muscle cramps... Basically a cold without snot. I'm definitely doing it again but I'll be taking vitamins throughout and try to get more sleep."

Really. So it made you feel like **** but you will be repeating it :noway:
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

So when the person doing this diet dies, how is that ethical? Never mind. I seek logic where there is clearly none. Dear breatharians and assorted ethical others, if you ever stumble across this thread: Stop killing yourselves and go into the sciences. Find a way to make it so humans can live without taking life, and you will be the most ethical creature in the Universe. Plus I'll be happy because I'd gladly give up eating as long as it doesn't involve a feeding tube.
  • jkwolly
    Options

So when the person doing this diet dies, how is that ethical? Never mind. I seek logic where there is clearly none. Dear breatharians and assorted ethical others, if you ever stumble across this thread: Stop killing yourselves and go into the sciences. Find a way to make it so humans can live without taking life, and you will be the most ethical creature in the Universe. Plus I'll be happy because I'd gladly give up eating as long as it doesn't involve a feeding tube.
    One less idiot in the world, IMO. :heart:

ETA: And who the eff wants to give up eating? :noway:
  • cloudman71
    cloudman71 Posts: 4
    Options
    Not sure about ridiculous but maybe extreme/peculiar is perhaps a diet (truly of biblical proportion) of "locust and wild honey" ?
  • jkwolly
    Options
    Not sure about ridiculous but maybe extreme/peculiar is perhaps a diet (truly of biblical proportion) of "locust and wild honey" ?
    You're replacing manna with locust.