Mfp vs fit bit.. Which is most accurate place to log?

Options
Hi all,

I've got a fitbit flex linked to my mfp. I've tried logging specific activities (yoga, running, cycling, gym etc) but not sure where is the most accurate place to log it. I've hear that it's easy to double count when using a fit bit?

Thanks in advance,

Sarah

Replies

• rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I log on MFP, but only things that the fitbit won't capture.

So, for what you said, I'd log yoga and cycling, but not running (let the fitbit capture it). With the gym, it depends on what you're doing. If it's a class like zumba or somthing, I wouldn't log it, but if it's weights, I'd log it.

I don't log anything on the fitbit site (except if I have to modify my sleep because I forgot to turn it on). I just use that as a report.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much stopped logging all activities and just rely on my fitbit to do a calorie adjustment since most all my exercise is walking or running. Anything beyond that I kind of just count it as a bonus calorie burn. That being said, I've never logged anything on the fitbit site, only on mfp from the beginning. And yes, it is easy to double log. When you log on mfp, just make sure to accurately enter your start time and duration. That cancels the reading from fitbit for that same time period.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    As long as the following are true then you wont get any double counting:

- Have your fitbit account synced with your MFP account
    - Log exercise activities only on Fitbit OR MFP (not both)
    - Log correct start times and duration for exercise activities

Note that with fitbit when you log the start times and duration, the exercise activity will override fitbit. This means it will also override the baseline BMR calorie count on fitbit meaning that it wont get counted twice.

Personally I log exercise with fitbit as the burn estimations on there are closer to what my HRM gives that the MFP estaimations. I log cycling, circuit training and weight lifting (and swimming but I rarely do this). These activities are not well captured by fitbit.

For all walking I leave it to fitbit and do not log the activities separately.