Alli users?

Options

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Find a new doctor!!!

Being a Dr. does not make you all knowing or right, it just means you can pass a test..

That is so true and they are only practicing medicine, whilst some are good, the others are lousy.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Lisa, I used it for 5 months and lost 50 pounds. You have to be mindful of your eating, but you do not poop your pants like everyone is saying! You need to watch your fat intake because that would be the cause of loose, or greasy stool. Good luck on your jouney. Kelly

Yeah, you do.

Could be as simple as something like this:
    840906.gif

or as full on as this:

Leo1_1.gif

BELIEVE THE HYPE!
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Alli users poop their pants.

Next?
  • BlessedOne2019
    BlessedOne2019 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ok, guys, thanks for *all* of your input. I was just looking for your PERSONAL experience! I know how to research and can read just fine! Thank you! As for my doctor, I never said that he endorsed nor supported alli, much less anything else. His words were, IF, and I emphasize if, if I were going to try something, to try alli.I am fully aware of the side effects and everything people are saying. But again, thank you all for your input!
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    I, personally would rather no poop my pants sooooo. My suggestion, eat less, exercise more. Very simple.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Lisa and I am not new here, just kind of on again, off again...I would like to change that habit, and now that I am out of school hopefully I can. I was wondering if there are any alli users on here? I need to lose 50+ lbs, and have such a hard time doing so. Between stress over the last year, and just a general non motivational mind frame, I have gained another 10 lbs to what I was already overweight. My doctor suggested I try alli, (of course with exercise) to help me get started. I am hearing about some side effects and would like to know if they are too bothersome to even try.

I don't mean this harshly, but I suspect there may be a correlation between this
    I am not new here, just kind of on again, off again...
    and your desire to find a pill to do it. The sooner you accept that this (or any other) pill is *not* the answer, the sooner you can make the commitment necessary to take the necessary, lasting and meaningful steps to start making real progress...

...IMHO, of course.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    If you're going to take Alli, I would recommend buying all orange underwear. Your sharts will blend right in.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Did you know that visiting the Ukraine is probably a bad idea right now and that parasailing is so dangerous that none of the major cruise ships offer it as a tour package?

I haven't, personally, tried either one. So I guess the information I provide wouldn't be helpful to somebody considering doing either.

On a more serious note, if the OPs read the information and has a good handle on what Alli can do and already knows everything that everybody's mentioned...and is still considering trying it.

You just can't fix that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    The drug is COUNTER PRODUCTIVE for fat absorption that the body NEEDS. It absorbs ALL fat, including good fats you need that are essential. So get this, you take it to absorb fat, but then need a fat supplement to fulfill essential fat.
    Why not just eat better fats?

And if you're having trouble losing weight, it's for one reason...................CONSISTENCY. You've already admitted you're an on again off again dieter. Do that in any occupation, job, or endeavor and success will be minimal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Pro:
    Alli works because it scares the heck out you. You will eat low fat because you are afraid of the possible side effects. If your diet consists of greasy fast foods....Alli will break that habit really fast.

Cons:
    Alli teaches you that dietary fat is "bad." Dietary fat is not bad.....dietary fat is necessary. Fat doesn't make you fat...too much food does (see below).

Alli does nothing to teach you about portion control. Large quantities of low fat food....still makes you fat.

Alli costs money.....logging "regular" food is free
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I never took Alli but a friend of mine did. She had to quit after a few weeks because of the side effects, saying (and I quote), "This is no life."

This is also, like, six years ago. I didn't even know Alli was still a thing.
  • tashat1976
    tashat1976 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I used it for about 6 months and Loved It! I wish I had the money to go back on it. It helped with my weight loss and self esteem. I did not have any of the horrible side effects that people who haven't tried it talk about. I was very mindful of the amount of fat I ate at each meal and followed the directions to the tee. I can not say enough great things about this product. I am hoping that my insurance will help offset the cost, I will be talking to my doctor about this at my next appointment.

As long as you follow the program it works!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I used it for about 6 months and Loved It! I wish I had the money to go back on it. It helped with my weight loss and self esteem. I did not have any of the horrible side effects that people who haven't tried it talk about. I was very mindful of the amount of fat I ate at each meal and followed the directions to the tee. I can not say enough great things about this product. I am hoping that my insurance will help offset the cost, I will be talking to my doctor about this at my next appointment.

As long as you follow the program it works!

I just checked the price and its cost £149.85 for a 3 months supply. Thats a lot of money. I would use that money to buy food.
    So whats the difference between sticking to the ALLi plan and the eating to a slight deficit plan (other than money spent?)
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    This is just MY OPINION......if it is not something you can do forever you should not do it.

There are NO quick fixes but there is something out there that will work. It is eating right and exercising and you have to find what works for you.

Best of luck!
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Since I did post something obnoxious and unhelpful, I'll try to make amends:

Alli might have cancer fighting properties:

http://annonc.oxfordjournals.org/content/16/8/1253.short

Background:: Orlistat (Xenical™), a US Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved drug for bodyweight loss, has recently been demonstrated to exhibit antitumor properties towards prostate cancer cells by virtue of its ability to block the lipogenic activity of fatty acid synthase (FAS). FAS (oncogenic antigen-519) is up-regulated in about 50% of breast cancers, is an indicator of poor prognosis, and has recently been functionally associated with the Her2/neu (erbB-2) oncogene.

But alas, it might be implicated in other cancers:

http://www.cancerletters.info/article/S0304-3835(05)00860-8/abstract

Orlistat is an anti-obesity agent that increases the fecal fat excretion, which promotes colon carcinogenesis. Therefore, the present study was designed to verify the effects of Orlistat on the formation of rat colonic aberrant crypt foci (ACF) and cell proliferation evaluated by the PCNA method. Male Wistar rats received either a standard diet or a high fat diet (HFD), supplemented or not with Orlistat (200mg/kg chow) and two doses of the carcinogen dimethyl-hydrazine (25mg/Kg). After 30 days, Orlistat was associated to a significant increase in the number of colonic ACFs and cell proliferation in DMH-treated animals, independently of the HFD.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    if it is not something you can do forever you should not do it.

Best answer :drinker:
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I used it for one month before, without doing any research. Ultimately figured out that all the studies that showed Alli users more successful than non-Alli users were based on Alli-users also using a support forum, logging/tracking their meals. The non-users did not.

Do the math. You need to restrict yourself to 15 grams of fat per meal. Let's assume that is 15 x 3, plus another 15 for snacks. (Though if the snacks are too close to the meal, and you consume too much fat - you could have messy consequences. Keep clean underwear in your purse.)

So you consume 60 grams of fat per day, Alli blocks 25% of it, so its voiding 15 grams. At 9 calories each, that is 135 calories saved per day. Or almost a month to make a 1 pound difference.

On the other hand, you could burn an extra 135 calories easily by taking a 30 minute walk. (Depending on your stats, you could burn well over 135 in 30 minutes.) And to be successful on Alli you must track your food, control your macros. But you can do that here, for free. With no messy side effects.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    Ps- I didn't have any negative effects. I found that when I put the thought into what I was eating, it wasn't hard to eat in a reduced calorie range. It was the math of it all that made me drop the product. It didn't make sense to me to pay $60 a month (not sure what the price is now) for 1 pound a month when I could do the other parts (logging, community effect) for free.

On the bright side - the Alli forums was my first venture into the social aspect of weight loss, and I found that to be useful. So good came of it. But bottom line: I'm cheap and very logical when it comes to simple fact. 3500 calories = 1 pound, learning that was like clicking an 'on switch' in my brain that made the idea of weight loss seem like a realistic goal. The math behind Alli made me feel foolish for buying before researching. Good for you for researching first!
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    When you do the Alli-math, the difference is about 1 pound a month. Its the other things you do, logging your food/finding a weight loss support group or website or accountability partner/eating in a reduced range & increasing your activity that does the real work.

I just checked the price and its cost £149.85 for a 3 months supply. Thats a lot of money. I would use that money to buy food.
    So whats the difference between sticking to the ALLi plan and the eating to a slight deficit plan (other than money spent?)
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options

I really enjoyed that, thanks.

They sell it in the pharmacists and supermarkets here, people really would rather take a chance of soiling themselves than eat less food or move their limbs about.

Even if it's only a possibility, it would terrify me. I'm socially awkward enough as it is.