"diet" food....

1235»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    So I just tried sugar free pancake syrup, and saved 70 calories on my pancakes. I couldn't tell the difference. All I'm wondering is why it took me so long to try it. And I'm sure going to make good use of those 70 calories.

Foods that don't really taste that different but let me eat more? Yes please.

Ok...obviously you don't use REAL syrup to begin with (which is maple syrup..the ONLY real syrup to use on pancakes ;))

Diet syrup is vile. You are delusional!!! :P
    Actually it's quite good.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    After defending diet foods (despite not really eating them, just each to their own), I bought a bottle of sugar free Shweppes lemonade yesterday as a I have a stinking cold and got bored of drinking water for my throat. I didn't have many calories left and didn't want to drink them, so went for the diet option.

I'm not a big pop drinker, so it could be that. Or that I don't usually buy sugar free things. But I had 4 glasses over the course of the day and was, ahem, most unwell. I don't think sweeteners agree with me. Not the 'oh noes bowel cancer within a week!' though, I must add. I just now know about the trade off of cals v. guts twisting.

I shan't put it in my Pimms at the weekend.

Edited for spelling
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    So I just tried sugar free pancake syrup, and saved 70 calories on my pancakes. I couldn't tell the difference. All I'm wondering is why it took me so long to try it. And I'm sure going to make good use of those 70 calories.

Ok...obviously you don't use REAL syrup to begin with (which is maple syrup..the ONLY real syrup to use on pancakes ;))

Yes I used real syrup. But I've never used a ton, just enough to moisten the pancakes, so once it's all mixed up, I honestly can't tell the difference.

About drinks, well, I'd rather not have soda at all than have diet drinks, I find them disgusting.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    I generally agree. However, I have gotten into baking substitutes and if you do it right, the "healthy" version can end up tasting a lot better than the other version. For example, using applesauce and Greek yogurt instead of sugar. I personally find the applesauce to be perfectly sweet enough. (Wouldn't do it in cookies probably, but in bread it works great!)
  • coolblondenerd
    coolblondenerd Posts: 90 Member
    I'm not talking about natural healthy food like fruit and veggies, quality mean, nuts etc... I'm talking about
    1. calorie lowered packaged processed foods you buy in a box/can at a grocery store
    2. "healthy" versions of yummy food that you find recipes for on facebook or pinterest..pic looks great..you make it and it tasts like *kitten*.

Not sure about anyone else..but I'd rather have one tablespoon of full fat yummy mayo....than a cup full of plastic bastardized "fat free" mayo that tastes like..well..white plastic.

I'd rather have a REAL chocolate chip cookie made with butter/sugar/chocolate...than the "diet" verson sweetened with stevia, and karo. sorry..but that version is absolutely disgusting...and I hate it when people pretend it's "Just as good". It's not!!! Stop lying to me!!!!

So here is my diet "plan". Eat the damn real cookie. Stop at one. If you don't..and you eat 5....forgive yourself, and do an extra cardio session with in 24 hours.

Seems to have worked for me. :) Yay real food!

This! Real food is the bomb-diggity! I do have a couple of low fat things I prefer for taste, like natural yoghurt. But I tried six months of "diet" food and it just made me miserable. So screw that misery!
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    I haven't read any replies. I agree 100% with your post.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    It depends on the food and how often you want to fit it into your day.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    I was in the superermarket earlier getting my extra low calorie mayonaise and thinking that now that I'm averaging 3000 calories a day, I could probably 'afford' the real stuff.
    But I went with the low cal stuff anyway - I enjoy it enough that I'd rather have more of it AND save the calories, so that I could eat some 'real' whole eggs to go with the light mayo, say.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member

Tastes fine to me.

Also I hate when people say this...that some certain thing is the only "real" thing. It's so annoying ( I know you were probably joking OP, I'm just saying in general). My roommate used to do this and I would get so angry at her. People care about different things and to me, syrup isn't really a food I care all that much for. Just gimme whatever and I'm perfectly happy.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Oh and also, while I was there I got some budget canned rice pudding. Had a look at the 'low fat' options'.
    If you had half a tin, I think you'd save about .8g of fat by going for the low fat over the normal one for that brand. Thus I went for the generic budget one (which was about 1.6g of fat/100g as opposed to 1.3g for the branded low fat one.)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Oh and also, while I was there I got some budget canned rice pudding. Had a look at the 'low fat' options'.
    If you had half a tin, I think you'd save about .8g of fat by going for the low fat over the normal one for that brand. Thus I went for the generic budget one (which was about 1.6g of fat/100g as opposed to 1.3g for the branded low fat one.)

Yeah I noticed the same with feta. I figured that for 10 extra calories a serving, might as well use the full fat stuff.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    I eat whatever I want. I like fresh veggies and I like some packaged meals. I like full fat milk and I like low fat yogurt. I like lite syrup and fat free devils food cookies. I like snickers bars with my coke zero. People should just eat whatever the hell they want as long as they are somewhat mindful of calories and macros.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    i think op might be on to something
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Are people really in here hating on lower fat/lower calorie versions of ice cream aka slow churned? seriously fyl