PCOS sufferers!

Options

Replies

• HeatherRM14
    HeatherRM14 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Those of you that are going low carb, how low are you keeping your carbs? I've tried atkins and that's just too low and I can't handle it. I need ~some~ bread and/or pasta in my life. I have not looked into HFLC numbers so that's my next research step.
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too!! Add me!! Definitley need the support of other PCOS sufferers!
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed around 14 years ago. Once I lost a majority of my weight everything started straightening itself back out. I know that some of the side effects will always be around but it's nice not to have to worry about other things :) Feel free to add me!
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    pcos for 23 yrs here. As well as hashimotos hypothyroid. Feel free to pester me for anything :D

I stay away from white food, to put it simply. As in white rice, white potato, white flour products ( and enriched flours) via guidelines set by the nutritionist @ the hospital my endo sent me to. Lean meats, reduced my sugar intake. For the first 6 mos they had me on 1200 cal 135g carb ( I did eat back a portion of my calories )
  • MzCaramel6
    MzCaramel6 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Feel Free to add me as well. PCOS is the devil but I have it managed:-)
  • jenniferpeacock3576
    jenniferpeacock3576 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and my doctor put me on metformin and I have lost 33 lbs in 3.5 months
  • fheppy
    fheppy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    me too. diagnosed in 2008.
    hirsutism, IR, hythyroid, high blood pressure, metformin taker, lots of cysts on ovaries.
    tried progesterone cream, had same effect as birth control pill. tried a mini-combi pill, caused acne.
    i drink spearmint tea for a while now, it reduced my libido so far its good.

I am doing reduced carb (trying!) and i take vitamin b8. did wonders to depression and its now gone!! also i switched fruit to organic ones.
    Feel free to add me and feel free to comment if/when/anytime your symptoms worsen/improve I listen and understand anything.
  • superdeformedchibi
    Options
    I've got it, too. You may add me if you like. I've found that strength training and lower carb, higher protein are serving me well in reducing my weight. It's slow going, but as long as it's going I'm fine with it! It's also lessened some of the symptoms I had. My periods are definitely more regular than they were last year (I'm not on hormonal birth control because of other medical reasons) and although I'm not trying to pregnant I'm grateful to have that regularity. You're probably going to have to tinker with your approach a bit to see what works for you, but I'm happy to throw in my two cents if you ever want it!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i also have insulin resistant pcos and underactive thyroid

low carb diets suit me best and im 4 months out of gastric bypass surgery
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Yep! I have PCOS as well. Cutting the carbs helps but exercise is very important too! You can add me if you like.
  • CynthiaNegron
    Options
    I discovered I might have PCOS after having trouble breastfeeding my daughter. I haven't been diagnosed, but it's good to know that if I am there is a community here with lots of knowledge.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Fellow PCOSer here feel free to add me. I also have no thyroid and a heart condition. I find that sticking to complex carbs and keeping the sugar low really helps but the biggest thing is exercise.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    My advice is to make sure you stay at or under your carb goals. Since PCOS causes us to have insulin resistance, going over our carb intake goal can cause us to gain weight because our bodies don't know what to do with it. It has helped me tremendously to not go over.
  • sandtisch
    sandtisch Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Me! PCOS, no cysts, but insulin resistance, vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroism, and no ovulation. On metformin and soon-to-be on clomid as well. ;) My doctor was very proud of the 22lbs I lost since I last saw him mid February. Changed my diet a bit (increase protein, cut down sugar, whole grain carbs only/mostly) and exercise more often.
  • toomanycats1975
    Options
    Hi! I am a fellow PCOSer. I lost quite a bit of weight in the past on the SparkPeople site, but got lazy about tracking and have regained some. I am back to lose it again, though thankfully I am still down a lot from my all time high!
  • Junken__Diraffe
    Options
    I have pcos and endometriosis, as well. I've had 13 surgeries in total. The last was a partial hysterectomy. That's made a world of difference for me. I highly recommend it, if it becomes an option to you!

I've lost 60+ lbs over the last few years and have gone from a size 18 (215 lbs) to a 6 (150 lbs). I got lazy over this past winter and am now back up to about 165. As soon as my injury from the Spartan race, a few weeks back, heals, I'll be hitting it hard again to get back to where I feel my best.

I highly recommend lifting heavy. It will change your entire body composition, and as a benefit of pcos (there are so few!), we are able to make changes in body comp quicker than most women due to higher amounts of testosterone!
  • hbwright74
    hbwright74 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend lifting heavy. It will change your entire body composition, and as a benefit of pcos (there are so few!), we are able to make changes in body comp quicker than most women due to higher amounts of testosterone!

I was going to say the same thing. I find that gaining muscle is I can't say easier, but FAST! due to the increased testosterone. I formerly lost 55 pounds doing all cardio on metformin and gained it all back, 60 pounds in 4 years. This time I'm off metformin but have the added hypothyroid. I feel like my PCOS is finally under control just as I start to go through another change in my life. Just doesn't seem fair, but it is what it is.
  • jenabugg
    jenabugg Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and a bad thyroid. I started low carb diet at the recommendation of my doctor and for the first time in 15 years of trying to lose weight, I'm actually seeing progress. Welcome to MFP!
  • princesslucylou86
    Options
    Me to! Add me if you like :) Im trying to loose the weight to start a family! x
  • jfran87
    jfran87 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hey there, I'm also 23 and have PCOS. Feel free to add as a friend.