Anxiety holding me back from working out

Options
I have BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) and I've been told by pretty much everyone that working out is amazing for you mental health. I 100% believe them yet... I can't bring myself to do anything! It is ridiculous! Lets go for a bike ride on the boardwalk! nope, I get defensive and go to bed. Lets go for a walk, I get defensive and go to bed. I try to convince myself to go on the exercise bike at home but I can't bring myself to do it. I go to the gym, before I can finish changing I'm crying, leave , and go to bed. My boyfriend has offered to do classes from spin to yoga with me and I won't go. I've had to tell him to stop wasting his money. He downloaded a Zumba & Yoga video for me to do at home I get so incredibly mad and frustrated after trying one session. I don't know what to do! I've gained soo much weight from my previous anti-depressant. I used to swim & dance at my old apartment but I don't have access to a pool nor do I have the space to dance. I am so motivated to exercise but the when the moment of truth comes or when I picture myself doing an activity I get really sad. :(

Help?? Anyone please?

Replies

• Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You're basically going around in circles. Exercise would help these "monkees in your head" to shut up! LOL. BUT, you have to take the first step. Maybe you're getting anxious about what you think you will look like while you're exercising. I had a girlfriend a long time ago who wouldn't even go for walks with me because she thought everyone would look at her. Trust me - nobody cares! Start with a small goal - something achievable. A 20-minute walk around the block. Mark it here in your diary and give yourself a visual on your calendar on the fridge. Journals can be great motivators. Do the walk and then write about it. How you felt and what impact it had on your sleep, appetite, etc.. You'll learn about yourself and you'll be motivated to do more, hopefully.
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Jog in in place for 60 seconds or do 5-10 jumping jacks or a few kicks and punches or walk up and down the stairs a few times. Tell yourself that once you do that you can quit if you want without guilt. If you want to continue, go for a walk or ride a bike or whatever. If you don't, try again tomorrow. After a while, increase the activity you do before you sit down, but don't make it so onerous that the thought is overwhelming. It needs to be manageable physically and mentally but vigorous enough to distract you. Sometimes, just getting yourself moving for a few minutes is enough to kick your brain out of the vicious cycle, at least that's true for me.
  • schmanciepants
    schmanciepants Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds silly but it really is true - no one ever regretted working out. Getting started is the hardest part. It sounds like your boyfriend is trying to be helpful, but maybe that is putting additional stress on the situation? Start small - tell yourself you only have to go for a 5 minute walk - and if it really is bad, you can stop. I find when I give myself permission to stop on the days I really don't want to go to the gym, I end up finishing my workout and feeling a lot better :smile:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You mention that you're taking anti-depressants, would I be correct in assuming that you're also seeing a therapist?

If so (and you may have already done this...I don't want to sound like a broken record) talk to your therapist about this and you can probably develop strategies to work around the anxiety.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're going through this right now! Have you spoken to your Doctor? Are you currently on meds? It would seem your priority right now is getting your mental health stabilized. Exercise is always a good idea. But think in terms of baby steps. Take a walk around the block. Dance like a fool when no one looking (don't tell me you don't have room, you could dance in a bathroom stall if you really wanted to!) Commit to 10 minutes of aerobics (youtube is a great free resource), tackle a calorie burning home project. Do it even if it totally sucks at first...it will get better.

If you're looking for a supportive community try healingwell.com

Best wishes
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    speak to a mental health professional
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    It's awesome that your boyfriend is so supportive but if your boyfriend's suggestions make you defensive it's probably going to be more motivating if he stops suggesting stuff and if you take this into your own hands.

The kinds of exercises you can do are endless so you need to figure out what would be enjoyable for you. I would also suggest starting with exercising in your home since outside the house can be triggering for anxiety. You don't need a lot of space to exercise - you can do calisthenics, yoga, weight lifting (buy some dumbbells), going up and down stairs, on the spot cardio (running, dancing, jumping), etc.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Oh and in terms of the body fat - that's all calories in and out :smile:

- Calculate your TDEE http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    - Then figure out your calorie deficit, i.e. the amount of calories you'll eat each day. To do this take 15-20% off your TDEE and that will give you the amount of calories you should eat each day to lose
    - Get a food scale and weigh your food (measuring food is not very accurate)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    You've received lots of great ideas here. I would like to add -- get yourself a couple of dumbbells and do a bit of strength training whenever the mood strikes. Better yet, choose a certain time of day, and do it three times a week. When I have been miserable, I often can't manage cardio, but I can always manage to lift a few pounds.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) and I've been told by pretty much everyone that working out is amazing for you mental health. I 100% believe them yet... I can't bring myself to do anything! It is ridiculous! Lets go for a bike ride on the boardwalk! nope, I get defensive and go to bed. Lets go for a walk, I get defensive and go to bed. I try to convince myself to go on the exercise bike at home but I can't bring myself to do it. I go to the gym, before I can finish changing I'm crying, leave , and go to bed. My boyfriend has offered to do classes from spin to yoga with me and I won't go. I've had to tell him to stop wasting his money. He downloaded a Zumba & Yoga video for me to do at home I get so incredibly mad and frustrated after trying one session. I don't know what to do! I've gained soo much weight from my previous anti-depressant. I used to swim & dance at my old apartment but I don't have access to a pool nor do I have the space to dance. I am so motivated to exercise but the when the moment of truth comes or when I picture myself doing an activity I get really sad. :(

Help?? Anyone please?

My excuse proof exercise is Walk at Home videos. I would tell myself it's too cold to walk outside, or it's dark outside....Going to the gym is not gonna happen, I'm too self conscious.

Anyone can do these videos (I have 2 left feet) ....even I can do them.

You just need comfortable clothes & tennis shoes.

Space: If you can take 2 steps forward....OR 1 step to each side....you have room

These are mostly Leslie Sansone & Jessica Smith. Leslie Sansone DVDs should be available at Target or your local library too.

http://www.totallyfreeworkouts.com/search/label/Walking
  • TechLady11412
    TechLady11412 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    speak to a mental health professional

this

I finally broke down and went to the Dr., after about 2 1/2 years of "fighting". I had feelings of hopelessness and "I just CAN'T do it!" I had been working out consistently/heavy since about 1992, so I know how to train, I know how to eat, I know, I know.....but I just can't DO. I tried getting out of myself, spending more and more time with friends trying to help them, but it backfired. I ended up feeling very resentful and then started isolating. Pretty soon, it was all I could do to just go to work. I would perform there, leave promptly at 5:00pm, go home, get on the couch and carb up every night. Weekends were spent watching old movies/ classic tv shows and eating. I couldn't even cook, I would just go and get a chinese buffet take out, McDonalds, Wing Stop, whatever, stop by the grocery store and pickup some munchies and candy, and eat that all day. Cleaning my home? Forget it. Washing my hair? (I have long, super-thick hair that takes about an hour to detangle) Oh hell no. Cook? Please. I considered myself "going out for the day" if I went browsing at a second hand store for an hour.

I got to the point where I wanted to hurt myself, and I drew the line there. I went to the Dr. (cancelled my 1st appt, then felt like hurting myself again so stuck to the 2nd one) and explained OPENLY AND HONESTLY what was going on with me. My Dr. said that I had major depression and I received some medication. The lowest amount, once a day (in the morning) I don't like being on the med train, but it is what it is.

On the third day, I put my headphones on, blasted music and cleaned up my home. Washed my hair, got stuff ready for the week (food, outfits, etc). Within a week, I started walking and planning a weight training program of things I like to do.

Fast forward about 70 days (today). I do heavy weight training 3x a week (squats, deads, bench presses, OH presses, I love compound movements). I run/walk 3x a week. I called or met up with most of my friends and made amends for my behavior. I got feedback from some that stated they could tell that I was "off", but couldn't figure it out.

I''m still on the lowest dose 1x/day only. I feel completely different now, like there are so many opportunities to do better, be a better person, help others. I know this must sound kind of corny, but it's completely true. I have nothing to gain by posting this, but hopefully I could help someone that may be struggling. Good luck and peace.

Melissa
  • angiiebee
    angiiebee Posts: 3
    Options
    Sorry I should have mentioned that I'm in Therapy 3 hours a week. I have mentioned to them that this is one of my goals. But we are currently working on Emotional Regulation & Distress Tolerance which is a high priority.
  • angiiebee
    angiiebee Posts: 3
    Options
    Sorry I should have mentioned that I'm in Therapy 3 hours a week. I have mentioned to them that this is one of my goals. But we are currently working on Emotional Regulation & Distress Tolerance which is a high priority.