How does too much protein affect your body?

Options
BAsInBevin
BAsInBevin Posts: 23 Member
I noticed that I'm already over my protein allowance for the day but still need to eat dinner and have about 650 calories of play room. Today was my "off day" from exercise and I will be resuming tomorrow. I'm just wondering what the negative causes are for having too much protein in any given day and can anyone provide any other options for my dinner? Of course, I have spinach and can make a huge salad but I still think I will be under my preferred caloric intake unless I add something else. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Calories are what matter for weight loss.

Your macros can help with body composition and overall health. For instance, protein helps repair and retain your muscles while you're losing.

If you're using MFP's default numbers, be aware that their protein goal is set very low. Most people should consider a minimum to go over every day rather than a number they should stay below.

Unless you have a medical reason to keep your protein low, then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • BAsInBevin
    BAsInBevin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That's exactly the answer I needed! Baked chicken salad for dinner i is! :laugh:
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Outside of very extreme circumstances, there really isn't such thing as too much protein unless you have kidney disease.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    If your body decides that it has too much protein (or any macronutrient) the excess is stored as fat... IF your body is in a caloric surplus. In a deficit, your body will use what it has in order to get energy. Gluconeogenesis is the process by which protein and fat are converted to carbohydrate in order to fuel your body.

Essentially, excess protein either becomes fat, or carbohydrates if you are in a caloric deficit.

As someone else mentioned, excessive amounts can be harmful to your kidneys but unless you are eating hundreds of grams per day or already have medical issues I wouldn't be overly concerned about that.
  • tectactoe
    tectactoe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It makes me have the most god-awful smelling farts. Other than that, no harm at all.
  • RhysJ13
    RhysJ13 Posts: 72
    Options
    It makes me have the most god-awful smelling farts. Other than that, no harm at all.

Seriously. Like, they might kill someone.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You're not getting "too much protein" until you start getting above 300g a day, which I highly doubt
  • jratoms
    jratoms Posts: 11
    Options
    1-1.5 Grams per pound of body weight. If you figure out how to do this on a consistent basis let me know, its harder then you think. Especially if you're 300 pounds like me....
  • Tanyastern
    Tanyastern Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Eat the Chicken! I follow for the most part the Paleo/Primal lifestyle..yummmy (The Primal Blueprint).