Any runners? I have ???

Options
2»

Replies

• mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like it could be several things.

Like other folks have said, shoes are not all created equal. Get fitted for some at a running store; it really makes all the difference in the world. Streeeeeeeeeeetch. Also, don't do too much too soon. If you are a new runner than C25K is an awesome program to get you started.

I personally find the treadmill incredibly boring and cannot use one, but if it works for you, rock on!
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    If new shoes from the running shoe store (not Footlocker - you need a real running store) don't clear up the pain, I recommend seeing a podiatrist. I've got plantar fasciitis and I can tell when my running orthotics are wearing out, because I start to get pain in my ankles.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're doing a warm up with brisk walking for 5 minutes before you start in with the running.. and don't forget a 5 minute cool down as well, walking. Warm ups are very important. Also, if you didn't already, try bumping the incline to .5-1, this more closely simulates outside running and it helped me a lot with any kind of shin pain. And try mixing up your distances and speeds throughout the week. Don't do each run exactly the same. Do a speed run, a slower recovery run, a run for distance. It is okay to take walk breaks every now and then too.
  • hdlewis22
    hdlewis22 Posts: 7
    Options
    This is my first message board post, but let me break this down for you.
    The way I see it, there are 4 different things that could be happening here (or a combination of 2 or more).
    1. Make sure you're running in supportive shoes. I used to run all the time in flatter shoes and it would hurt my heel and actually leave indents in the shoe, so make sure the shoes you wear for fitness are fitness/running shoes.
    2. I'm not going to tell you to slow down or to take it easy, but remember it's not always about how fast you're going. If you want to get into distance, I would recommend track running, but for treadmills and the like, it's all about calories. With a treadmill, try to extend your stride or turn your body more as you run. This will help you feel more worked out with less physical stress on you body. Then you won't have to run as fast or as long.
    3. I've heard tell that stretching is actually not the best thing to do before running. Yes, stretching loosens your muscles and makes sure nothing bends farther than it's prepared to, but it also makes the muscles more brittle and less able to take strain. Try stretching in between workouts or 2-3 hours before a workout, so you loosen your muscles but don't weaken them right before you work them. Then, you just do a quick bend and flex before you start running and you'll be good to go.
    4. Treadmills have a habit of being high impact because they're basically like a road: hard and flat. If you try everything you can think of and you just can't relieve the strain, consider switching to a bike or elliptical. Bikes are good for keeping heart rates up, but they can be hard to keep pace with and a lot of people find that bikes can't handle their speed. Ellipticals are very low impact but don't have the same feel as running. I also get very tired of bobbing up and down on an elliptical for an hour or so and I go out running instead.
    Hope this helps.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I personally don't care for the treadmill. I run 3-5 days a week, between the treadmill and running outside, weather permitting. I do MUCH better outside... in 70 minutes I do about 7 miles. But on the treadmill I struggle to run 2-3 miles. It gets really hot in the gym and I get light headed, and my joints hurt as well.

I would try to run outside... there are lots of apps that can help you track distance and pace, such as MapMyRun or RunKeeper, but there are plenty more. You could also get a FitBit activity tracker for when you run.

Rest days are super important as well. I take days off from running in between long distances, such as the 7-miler I ran yesterday. I started about 4 weeks ago, but I was going on the treadmill in the winter.