Not sure if I'm eating the calories

I'm 4'11", presently weigh 116 pounds and I'm 49 years young. I dance classical ballet typically 7 hours a week and I'm a very healthy eater. About two years ago, I did the Insanity program to tone up but after 60 days although I felt stronger, my measurements and weight did not change. Over the next two years my eating and exercise stayed the same but I slowly gained 10 pounds. I'm certainly not fat but would like to get rid of all this belly fat I've gained. About two months ago I joined a gym and I'm working with a trainer. I'm doing strength training and a little cardio 4 times a week and still dancing about 7 hours a week. After two months of starting the strength training, none of my measurements changed and neither has my weight but I'm definitely getting stronger because I consistently increase the weights I use with every workout. My trainer suggested that maybe I don't eat enough. I would guess that I was eating around 1000 calories a day.

After a little research it appears that I should eat about 1200 calories plus more when I exercise to lose .5 pounds a week. After 5 days of this I just feel like I'm gaining weight and my clothes feel tighter.

Is the new strategy of eating more calories going to awhile to work or am I eating too much? I try not to weigh myself more than once a week. Should I stop the extra calories and see what I weigh in a week or am I making things worse? How can I get stronger and not see any changes in weight or measurements? I'm quite disappointed and frustrated. Suggestions?

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    It's likely not too much, especially considering how active you are. Do you eat back exercise calories? How are you determining that you eat 1200 calories? (as in... do you eyeball portions, guess, using measuring cups, weigh on a scale, etc...)
  • Sabastianni
    Sabastianni Posts: 8 Member
    I am eating back exercise calories. Although I do measure some food, I don't measure all of it and I don't use a scale. I jus t read a post on how to accurately measure food. I'm obviously a total newbie at this. When did eating become so complicated?!

Let me ask just one more question. Assuming I was eating too few calories and now I am eating the right amount, should I expect immediate change or will it take time for my body to adjust? A few days, weeks,.....?
  • Mommy2two_2
    Mommy2two_2 Posts: 33 Member
    I too have started to eat more to weigh less. Before I was eating to little. So far a few days in and I'm still adjusting :)
  • Sabastianni
    Sabastianni Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks for sharing. I'm going to get a scale and find out how much I'm really eating. I absolutely despise having to go through this effort but even if I did it fir a few weeks to determine how accurate I am will be informative. I suspect once I start if I see a big discrepancy then maybe I'll keep using it.